IGNORED

i20 irons scuffed after 10 range balls

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That happens, it's just the paint rubbing off. That's why you tape up irons in the store to try them out, even though you hit off mats. The balls often have nicks, and ranges have sandy grass, so as long as you're not hitting rocks, it should be fine.

Paint??? Really?:roll: Not hardly.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

My 8i looks pretty much the same and I have maybe 100 balls on it at the most.  It is pretty normal for this iron. Because it is a matte overlaminate the marks are more visible.  The sole will kind of start to look more glossy over time as well.  I am on my second set...uhm, well...because of "other issues".  They are great irons though and should hold up just fine.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yeah, but now the PW has an actual scrape in the metal where i can feel it with my fingernail.  i just don't remember anything like this on my old irons...seems like enough "scrapes" from sand or knicks on a ball (which is a common occurence anyway) could really be destructive to these irons?

If that bothers you, don't ever buy a set of softer forged irons.  But it'll be less noticeable as they wear more.  I'm a bit of a digger, and there's a nice line where the dirt and sand here has actually polished about 1/2 way up all my irons over time.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

yeah, but now the PW has an actual scrape in the metal where i can feel it with my fingernail.  i just don't remember anything like this on my old irons...seems like enough "scrapes" from sand or knicks on a ball (which is a common occurence anyway) could really be destructive to these irons?

You hit a rock - it happens.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't know if this is still true today, but back in the "old days" of mostly forged irons, the grooved face was simply sandblasted to give it a rough, dull appearance. This sandblasted surface would quickly wear after hitting several balls, and would look uniformly worn over time. I don't know if this is what PING does to their irons today, but it looks like it to me. If the face was not sandblasted, you probably would not see much of anything. Hint: buy "slightly used" clubs and it won't bother you as much.

• 2 months later...

My set has done the same thing. Had mine about a year and seen about 45 rounds plus alot of range time (mats & grass). They still hit and spin as pure as they did the day I got them. The only thing I don't like about these clubs are the 3i-6i. I think I should be one step flatter in lie. I playing white dots and was fit for that. Enjoy your clubs, they should last some years.

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!