IGNORED

Beginners Golf Club Set

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I have recently gotten into Golf and have heard that it's great to start with a consistent set of clubs when learning. I went down to my local golf store (who happens to be having a sale) and have built a few options around the $1000 range for clubs. Ideally, I would like to buy clubs that I won't need to immediately replace after I've learned the game and can actually play on the course. Any advice, tips, wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the options at the store:

Sale Pricing
Ping G15
Driver  $169.99
1 Fairway Wood $127.99
Iron Set 4-Gap Wedge $424.99
Need to select a putter and Sand Wedge.  Bag as well.
Taylor Made Rocketbalz
Driver $212.49
Fairway Wood $179.99
Iron Set 4-Gap Wedge $499.99
Again select Putter and Bag
Adams Golf
Iron Set with Hybrids $509.99
Driver  $169.99
Fairway Wood $84.99
And again a bag, putter and sand wedge.
The Adams sets include some hybrids.  If you wanted to add hybrids to the other two sets instead of the 4 iron (for example)  that can be done.  We can custom a set for you unless it is the Ping G15 iron set.  That is a package set because it is going out of the line and we can't return single irons.
One more set option is the Callaway Razr X HL combo set.
Irons set 499.99, that includes two hybrids and six irons.
Driver  144.49
Fwy Wood 110.49

This set gives you the best options as far as hybrids as well.
Thanks again, everyone!

Try them out to see what works for you. You don't need to have all of your clubs from the same manufacturer, unless that's something you'd like. Right idea getting the stuff on sale

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys who buy new sets of clubs often trade in their existing sets; some of which are in more than just good condition, which are then sold on at quite reasonable prices compared to new clubs.

You might want to try this option for your starter set, then trade up as your game dictates with the experience and expertise you will, hopefully, you gain.

For irons, you may want to consider a nice used set. I just sold my old Titleist DCI 981 irons to my friend. They are 1999 models and they are still really good cavities. You can find a set for around $150 and sell them next year for approx the same.

Thanks for the advice everyone. One issue I have is that I'm left handed, so I've found it hard to find a used set of clubs around here. another factor is that I am still pretty new and finding a consistent swing so it's hard for me to which clubs work best for me personally.

These are beginner sets.........................

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?ab=TopNav_Golf_MensGolfClubs_CompleteSets&categoryId;=4414157&cp;=4413989.4414118

You shouldn't pay more than $200-$500 for an entire set including the bag!   Start with something like the above........

When you're ready to invest some real $$$.......you'll know.  Spending more as a beginner is a waste of money.  My 2 cents....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Played with a couple friends. One guy didn't have clubs so I brought him a set. The other guy wanted to begin taking it more seriously and had a full set of brand new boxed set clubs. The guy with my used set did better, plus he didn't have to waste anyone's time pulling plastic wrapping off his unhit clubs on the first tee. Yes that happened.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

..................plus he didn't have to waste anyone's time pulling plastic wrapping off his unhit clubs on the first tee. Yes that happened.

Hahahaha...............that made me LOL.

Thanks...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have not been playing golf that long but I would say go with the Razr HL's if you cannot find a used set.  I have hit the G-15's and they are very nice but the HL's felt more forgiving to me and seemed to give me a better ball flight. Although I am currently playing a G-15 driver and like it alot.

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!