IGNORED

What is "being serious" about golf?

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I see this phrase often in messages here; how people have been playing for awhile but are now "getting serious" about golf.  I practice 4+ times per week and play 1-3 times on the weekends during the summer months.  In my spare time, I read this golf message board.  While I enjoy learning about the game and improving, it's just a hobby.  When I was a little younger, this free time was spent playing video games, but I wasn't "serious" about video games  (except when I was yelling at my Nintendo guys to tackle Bo Jackson).  I know a lot of people who spend 20+ hours per week watching sports, but they aren't "serious" about it.

To me, "being serious" means dedicating yourself to golf as a profession and making it your full-time job.  Considering we haven't seen more than a couple pick up the game late in life and turn pro (and defy all odds), what does "being serious" mean to people on this message board?

I would define it the same as you. I think the idea behind it is much like being serious about anything with poor odds though--a temporary infatuation that will likely fade with time. If everyone could be a famous golfer, or baseball athlete, musician, actor or talk show host, then everyone would be that. Only certain people possess the talent or luck, or both. But its's nice to dream for a while.

Serious is putting out the effort to improve. Not just going out and playing thinking I will be better with out practice, reading, observing video or taking lessons.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Serious for me was taking my game from an 8 handicap and finding ways to get into the low single digits (or scratch).  So far I've gotten down to a low 4.

(1.) I bought an entire new set of clubs over the past year.

-  My clubs were all professionally fitted

(2.) I've signed up for online lessons.

(3.) I buy into a regular range pass to ensure I have regular practice sessions

- I go to the driving range ~ 4 or 5 times a week on average

(4.) I've attended two golf focus clinics in the past year

- Full swing clinic

- Putting clinic

(5.) I've bought several books on golf (full swing, putting and strength training)

(6.) I've purchased several training aids

(7.) I've played 102 18 hole rounds in the last 12mo

(8.) I film my swing regularly and analyze it for swing flaws and imperfections

(9.) I use this board and other online resources regularly to find tips and advice

(10.) I track my golf stats with Golfshot and Golfplan

Although I still work full-time and am happily married.... I'd say I take golf pretty serious.

It doesn't have to be your occupation for you to be serious about it.

If you're spending time actually trying to improve certain skills with focused practice and lessons, and not just beating balls on the range, you're serious.

• Upvote 1

Serious about it is finishing 18 holes with as much dedication as the first one.  I would be foolish to think I will ever be a pro or play in the low seventies.  But I am serious as he!! about being consistently below 100, and someday becoming a bogey golfer.  I enjoy the game more than a beer and a cigar with friends............dont need a club or a cart for that.

The more I think about this question, another comes to mind.  Though most High School football players will never be pro players, they are pretty serious about football.

That's my story and Im sticking to it.  I shot a darn serious 100 today, and it was good.

"Getting serious" involves things such as...

• Looking for flaw patterns in your game, and taking action to correct them.
  • Doing your homework from Lesson 1 before you show up for Lesson 2. (Some pros now make you report in with what you've done for play and practice before they'll schedule Lesson 2).
  • Being willing to practice - with purpose - on days when you can't play.
  • Obeying the rules when you play.
  • Being a good sportsman. Serious Golfer ≠ Grouchy Golfer.
  • Giving rounds of golf priority in scheduling, rather than just trying to "fit in 18" when everything else is done.
  • Being willing to help others get started in the game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

By, "getting serious" people mean that are going to star devoting themselves to practicing and playing on a regular basis, taking lessons and getting better at golf.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

By, "getting serious" people mean that are going to star devoting themselves to practicing and playing on a regular basis, taking lessons and getting better at golf.

maybe people should just say that then.  "i want to score better than 90 so i've been really working on my short game pretty seriously."  saying "i've really been getting serious about golf" implies you are searching for super stardom IMO.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

maybe people should just say that then.  "i want to score better than 90 so i've been really working on my short game pretty seriously."  saying "i've really been getting serious about golf" implies you are searching for super stardom IMO.

For some people it is a search for super stardom though.  They want to get better so that they can play some local tournaments, mini tours in the hopes of somehow playing for a living.  I say good for them, the world needs more dreamers.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I guess different strokes...when I hear someone say "they're getting serious about golf," I don't automatically assume they're going to quit their jobs and give the tour a try, or even think that's any kind of remote possibility.  I think perhaps they're going to work harder to become a better amateur.

When I hear someone say another player takes golf "too seriously" it's rarely about them making an effort to learn more about the swing and be a better player. It's usually made about a hothead mid-tantrum. I'd say Brian from the Big Break takes golf too seriously.

Note: This thread is 4185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!