• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nondualistic

Harder to fire body with driver than with short irons

8 posts in this topic

I have been working on really leaving my arms out of the equation and feeling to connection in my left shoulder and firing it through with the body after setting the club at the top. I am making progress with short irons and I have gained much more distance with a real feeling of not even trying to hit it hard, just letting the body fire through and trailing the arms behind.

But

My practice ground is small, and I can't get the same feeling with my driver, it feels different, I got a 6-iron clubhead speed of 90 but my drives reach an average carry of about 250 when I strike it solidly, and whenever I try get that effortless sensation which works with my short irons I don't see any added distance.

What should my clubhead speed be for my driver if it is 90-92 with 6-iron?

I think I must be leaking power with my driver but practicing with my driver is limited to when I can hit a few shots off as a tee shot when no-one is on the course.

Does anyone else think it's easier to get the body firing on short irons than longer clubs? Maybe I should try swing more steeply a I swinging round the body seems to make it harder for me to feel the body firing through.

Thoughts anyone?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Much bigger swing arch and impact occurs later in the swing arch so you have to really be patient the longer the club gets and wait on things to happen.  When I swing driver it feels like and eternity before the club arrives back in the hitting zone, because my hips want to fire, but I know that I must be patient or the results won't be good.  The only club in my bag that I have a problem every now and then not completing my backswing is the driver. But at least you are starting to notice this difference whereas most people think there is something wrong with them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

Much bigger swing arch and impact occurs later in the swing arch so you have to really be patient the longer the club gets and wait on things to happen.  When I swing driver it feels like and eternity before the club arrives back in the hitting zone, because my hips want to fire, but I know that I must be patient or the results won't be good.  The only club in my bag that I have a problem every now and then not completing my backswing is the driver. But at least you are starting to notice this difference whereas most people think there is something wrong with them.

So as thought I must be coming out of sync whenever I try and really go at the ball with the driver... So if I want to get from a 250 carry to a 270 carry, I should maybe?

first get my rhythm sorted with the driver with the hip firing at the right moment, and also getting a more consistent contact?

Then once this is good and proper, try other things to add distance while keeping this rhythm solid?

It's hard to get the instinct of really hitting hard out of your mind, maybe some meditative techniques could help this lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me when i am hitting my drives the longest is when i worry about my finish, because i tend to fall backwards away from the target in the downswing. So what i do is focus on my finish alot, i like to feel like i am really extended and stretched in the finish. Though this is for me, i am a flexible guy. The golf pro i go to has the finish were he's straight up and down, fully on his front leg, kinda old school. I like to finish like Rory, i think of were his club is finished, were he looks fully extended. I try to get there. Usually when i do that, i don't hold back, i get a full release and i just pound the ball.

Now going harder or softer at the ball, i don't i have one speed, its easier that way. 95% of the time i don't have to worry about hitting it shorter. My max distance is pretty accurate. I know a lot of people say, find your 100% and go back to 80%, i hate that. I made my swing in such a way were i go 95-99%, and i am totally in balance. This was achieved through working out and working hard on my balance and coordination. Now if i want to tone it down, like this one hole is a par 4, 450 yards, but you have to hit a big sweeping draw to cut the corner and not run through the fairway into a hazard. i know i can get over the trees but only if i hit a high push fade. So what i do is, play the ball way up in my stance, and just try to hit a very high sky ball, it takes about 20-30 yards of the ball, but its a high fade, really a fun shot to play and works well because i can just hit it over the trees that block the corner. If i hit my draw, i would have to aim at the water and draw it around, the draw is to low for the trees. Johnny miller said, don't aim at something you know you would hit it into if you hit it straight.

But as for syncing up your swing, i find that people usually have problems when they have something else going wrong. Like when i fall away from the ball (my head goes backwards), i have to flip at the ball to not slice it and then hold the release to not duck hook it. I've gotten really good at this, but it kills my power. So i worked on getting proper impact position, and finish and this has helped a ton.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

You just need to learn the "rythmn" of your driver.  I downloaded a metronome for my Ipod and you will shocked when you hear just how slow a full execution of a driver swing is.  I'll post a vid of an example.  The beautiful thing about it is that once you have your baseline then everyday when you warm up you will know that your timing is the same and not any faster.  Slower is fine so long as you don't decel into impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwcseNrPPQ

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by saevel25

For me when i am hitting my drives the longest is when i worry about my finish, because i tend to fall backwards away from the target in the downswing. So what i do is focus on my finish alot, i like to feel like i am really extended and stretched in the finish. Though this is for me, i am a flexible guy. The golf pro i go to has the finish were he's straight up and down, fully on his front leg, kinda old school. I like to finish like Rory, i think of were his club is finished, were he looks fully extended. I try to get there. Usually when i do that, i don't hold back, i get a full release and i just pound the ball.

Now going harder or softer at the ball, i don't i have one speed, its easier that way. 95% of the time i don't have to worry about hitting it shorter. My max distance is pretty accurate. I know a lot of people say, find your 100% and go back to 80%, i hate that. I made my swing in such a way were i go 95-99%, and i am totally in balance. This was achieved through working out and working hard on my balance and coordination. Now if i want to tone it down, like this one hole is a par 4, 450 yards, but you have to hit a big sweeping draw to cut the corner and not run through the fairway into a hazard. i know i can get over the trees but only if i hit a high push fade. So what i do is, play the ball way up in my stance, and just try to hit a very high sky ball, it takes about 20-30 yards of the ball, but its a high fade, really a fun shot to play and works well because i can just hit it over the trees that block the corner. If i hit my draw, i would have to aim at the water and draw it around, the draw is to low for the trees. Johnny miller said, don't aim at something you know you would hit it into if you hit it straight.

But as for syncing up your swing, i find that people usually have problems when they have something else going wrong. Like when i fall away from the ball (my head goes backwards), i have to flip at the ball to not slice it and then hold the release to not duck hook it. I've gotten really good at this, but it kills my power. So i worked on getting proper impact position, and finish and this has helped a ton.

You mention having something else wrong, I think my swing is sound, BUT I have a real problem with distance, I know that I am slightly below Pro average for swing speed (90mph 6-iron tested at American Golf) and this is ok, but it's got to the point where I just need to get more distance, OR deal with the reasons why I let this bother me so much... But when I am in this state of mind where I just hate myself for feeling like I can't get that 270 carry and hence I go into a kind of self destruct mode where my swing goes to shit because I am trying to kill it, it feels like to just swing easy is risking failure, because I know what I need to do, but seeing no improvement when I do get my head straight and fire all my body in sync then gets me pissed again...

I think it is a combination of impatience wanting immediate results and not being fully in control of my ego...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

You just need to learn the "rythmn" of your driver.  I downloaded a metronome for my Ipod and you will shocked when you hear just how slow a full execution of a driver swing is.  I'll post a vid of an example.  The beautiful thing about it is that once you have your baseline then everyday when you warm up you will know that your timing is the same and not any faster.  Slower is fine so long as you don't decel into impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwcseNrPPQ

awesome thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by saevel25

For me when i am hitting my drives the longest is when i worry about my finish, because i tend to fall backwards away from the target in the downswing. So what i do is focus on my finish alot, i like to feel like i am really extended and stretched in the finish.

I've noticed from watching pros that rather than being a definate strike at the ball, the rhythm finds a small pause or slowdown, almost as if we have a rhythm going of

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4

1 being the start of the swing, 3 the top and 4 the strike, but Pro rhythm being more like

1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 . 4.5

4.5, being the contact with the ball or the release of the trailing clubhead.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • 2016 TST Initiative: Forward Tees Tournament
      In Lowest Score Wins, we recommend that golfers play from the forward tees in order to experience "breaking 80" for the first time, or shooting 65, or having more birdie putts than they've ever had, or whatever. This year, in 2016, we're taking it one step farther: we're encouraging everyone here to work with the head pro at your home course (or, if you play multiple courses, the head pro at each of them!) and to set up a serious "Forward Tees Tournament." A Forward Tees Tournament (FTT) will be: FUN! Enlightening Unique Challenging I'll give anyone who creates and/or participates in a FTT this year the special achievement/award seen to the left. Anyone with this award will be entered to win a TST prize to be determined at the end of the year (and I'll do my best to make it a fairly good prize, but that shouldn't be the main reason why anyone should do this). You can play: With or without handicaps. With or without brackets/divisions/flights. Stroke play or match play. 18, 27, 36, 54+ holes. One day, two days, three days. Etc. I think golfers will love playing in this type of tournament. I think it will challenge them to think about how they play and score. I think it will result in faster play, more fun, more birdies, more chances to hit 7-iron into par fives and feel like a Tour player for once, and… lower scores (or higher scores for the dumb players!). So there you have it. What can you do from here? Pledge here in this thread to talk to your head pro. Recruit your buddies and local golfers to play in your event. Work with your head pro to make the event a success. Play in the event! Post here after your tournament has been played to claim your super-exclusive award/achievement! I'm in. I'll be doing this, hopefully at multiple courses this year. Are you?
    • Posting old scores
      I haven't had an official handicap for about 15 years because in the past several I've only been able to play 6-8 times per year. This year I joined a club so that I could play in tournaments and since I need five scores to get a handicap, I entered some scores in GHIN from my last few rounds in 2015 (since I play so rarely, I can remember them). When I was doing this, I forgot to change the date when posting a score from August so it defaulted to today and is now my most recent reported score. GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Another thing is sometimes to 'give up' on par. For example, as a bogey golfer, if I hit a bad tee shot and end up say 220yds from the hold on a par 4 rather than the usual 130yds, play the hole as if bogey is the new par. You've made the hole more difficult for yourself and rather than trying to hit the green with a 3 wood (a green designed to be hit with a mid/short iron), take 2 shots to get on the green and 2 shots to get down. 1 220yd par 4 is an easy hole (could even make birdie (which becomes par and a great save) whereas a 220 yd par 3, not off the tee, is asking for trouble. Not always the best way to play golf (read Lowest Score Wins) but the best way to avoid blowing up.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Find it yourself please. I don't think that would provide much insight. Courses, technology… all very different. Too many differences. People who qualify for the Opens rarely actually compete for them. The winners and top finishers almost always come from those who qualify automatically. I'm not. Very few foreign golfers played on the PGA Tour in the 60s. It's been steadily growing - and travel has made it easier, too - through to now. And even now we're starting to see Asian golfers really take over. The only Asian golfer many could name who competed against Nicklaus was Isao Aoki. Maybe Jumbo Ozaki. I'm just talking about the number of golfers. There are a ton more now. I don't care. I realize perhaps your condition forces you to take everything literally, but I wasn't being literal here. The PGA Tour takes the best 150 players or so out of X. As X grows, the amount of separation between those top 150 players narrows. We're in a very narrow phase right now. When Jack was playing, the gap was significantly wider. No. Tiger was quite a bit more dominant and "above" even MORE highly competitive fields. Both halves of that are true: Tiger won by larger margins and against stronger fields. I agree. And I've said similar things. No…? You don't say? (On page 273 of a thread doing just that…)? You seem to be the only person who regards WGCs as weaker fields that offer a "competitive break." It says a lot about how others should consider your opinions on strength of field. You're assuming or haven't read many of my posts in this thread, because I've said several times that I'd put it within a few points of 50/50. Maybe 55/45. Hardly what I'd call "strong." Of course we're both "estimating." Tiger's record, IMO, against significantly stiffer competition, puts him ahead. Not by a lot. Not really. If only 30 players had a realistic chance to win a tournament, adding players beyond that 30th player does little to affect the strength of the field. The WGCs could add 200 club professionals that would never win and… the strength of field would remain exactly the same. Where have I said this? Because even if I did, it doesn't support whatever you're trying to force it into supporting here. The odds of a club pro beating anyone on the PGA Tour these days are slim to none. They were slightly more likely back when fewer "A" players played the PGA Tour… like in the 60s and 70s. A "C" player's game almost never varies enough - not for four days - to beat even 10 or 15 "A" players. Here's an opinion, but one I could probably back up if I cared enough to take the time (I do not): a modern WGC has a stronger field than many (perhaps all) of the majors Nicklaus won. I've said this before, and will say it again here: In Jack's day, there were maybe 10-15 "A" players, 25 "B" players, and the rest were "C" players. Today there are 100+ A players and the rest B players. I'm also going to request, mostly because of the number of times I've had to repeat myself in this thread, that you not quote or respond to me, @natureboy, in this thread. I'm not keen on repeating myself about something that, ultimately, I don't care that much about. It is what it is, their records are what they are, and they could only beat the guys they played against.
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Never try to hit through trees, always just get back to the fairway.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries