IGNORED

December 16th SoCal Golfers golf tourney- now sponsored by Callaway Golf ;-)

agoodmanmbk
Note: This thread is 4141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

GolfingDad's swing looks better! I haven't played with him in awhile and he clearly played his best golf I've seen him play. Congrats on playing quite well! Lihu, sorry we missed you in the clubhouse. Thanks for coming out and playing. You're a trooper for playing from the tips. The course was nearly 6,800 at sea level. And was damp, wet and cold. So probably played considerably longer than the number. I know there were more than one par four where I had longer approach shots than I'm used to. One in particular I had 197 in, and hit an above average drive in the fairway from a box of 430. So again, thanks for playing with us and hanging in there. Maybe next time, anyone +15 HDCP can play from one box closer? Would probably help? JimDangles, thanks for playing today bud. You hit some stellar shots, and really thought you played much better than your score. You have game and I look forward to playing again. That flop shop from that downhill lie that you chipped in was touresque! Overall, even though I struggled with my game, I had a great time playing with you guys and hope to do it again this Spring. I think we should do this at least once a quarter as we have some decent golfers and even better dudes to hang and have fun. The winning team in action!

Thanks, man! I felt pretty good today even though it coud have been even better. Had 8 straight pars at one point! And ditto for me in regards to having a great time and meeting some new people. We're already floating the idea of doing San Diego (Torrey pines if possible!) in the spring. Lastly, one more big thanks to Pakoh for doing most of the legwork in getting this thing organized with the course and all!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Thanks, man! I felt pretty good today even though it coud have been even better. Had 8 straight pars at one point!

And ditto for me in regards to having a great time and meeting some new people. We're already floating the idea of doing San Diego (Torrey pines if possible!) in the spring.

Lastly, one more big thanks to Pakoh for doing most of the legwork in getting this thing organized with the course and all!

No problem..  I had a great time!  Sign me up for the next one!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Mvmac preparing to tee off on 1. (We spent the rest of the day trying to keep up with them so I didn't take many pics.)

Thanks for getting the set-up and not the top of the back swing lol.  Yes let's do it again in early spring, maybe in the desert and San Diego in the summer.

Thanks again to Pakoh for putting it all together, he may not have scored his best but he hits it really solid.  He made more birdies than I did!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

GolfingDad's swing looks better! I haven't played with him in awhile and he clearly played his best golf I've seen him play. Congrats on playing quite well!

Lihu, sorry we missed you in the clubhouse. Thanks for coming out and playing. You're a trooper for playing from the tips. The course was nearly 6,800 at sea level. And was damp, wet and cold. So probably played considerably longer than the number. I know there were more than one par four where I had longer approach shots than I'm used to. One in particular I had 197 in, and hit an above average drive in the fairway from a box of 430. So again, thanks for playing with us and hanging in there. Maybe next time, anyone +15 HDCP can play from one box closer? Would probably help?

JimDangles, thanks for playing today bud. You hit some stellar shots, and really thought you played much better than your score. You have game and I look forward to playing again. That flop shot from that downhill lie that you chipped in was touresque!

Overall, even though I struggled with my game, I had a great time playing with you guys and hope to do it again this Spring. I think we should do this at least once a quarter as we have some decent golfers and even better dudes to hang and have fun.

The winning team in action!

Thanks man,  as far as my score goes, I also thought it was better than that. I had a blast and really hope we get to do this again. As long as torrey pines doesn't come out costing a ridiculious amount I would absolutely love to play again and same goes for desert in the spring. Thanks to everyone who helped put it together, it really was a good time even though it sounds like everybody scored worse than usual (besides golfing dad) who snuck up on me. When he told me his score I was like no way but thinking back I can't think of any real errors, he even lost some extra strokes he shouldnt have because of the chicken wire or whatever around the water.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

gotta give a shout to Lihu!  Holed out from the bunker on #9!  Shot of the day!

Ya I heard it was awesome. That's real cool.

Originally Posted by Pakoh

Also they have some chicken wire fencing around the water on the course, i think for the coots.  Just want to know what the rule on this is.  Free drop from temp obstruction???

After the first time it happened, we were really hoping so but ...

Originally Posted by iacas

You don't get relief from things in water hazards, no.

We confirmed with the course that they didn't have a local rule on this.  Erik is correct.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Thanks man,  as far as my score goes, I also thought it was better than that. I had a blast and really hope we get to do this again. As long as torrey pines doesn't come out costing a ridiculious amount I would absolutely love to play again and same goes for desert in the spring. Thanks to everyone who helped put it together, it really was a good time even though it sounds like everybody scored worse than usual (besides golfing dad) who snuck up on me. When he told me his score I was like no way but thinking back I can't think of any real errors, he even lost some extra strokes he shouldnt have because of the chicken wire or whatever around the water.

Yeah, it actually came into play 4 times for our group.  Twice on two separate holes, I was one of the unlucky lucky ones both times.  It seemed unfortunate that I couldn't get a free drop from a stupid fence in the middle of the course that doesn't belong there.  On the other hand, had the fence not been there, in all four cases, it's quite likely that those balls would have rolled INTO the water.  It's a really silly fence though because I believe they are there to keep the stupid coots IN the water, right?  Well, they are doing their job very well ...

The real thing to take away from this is to not be so stupid and flirt with the water on the right.  My most common miss is a straight push and all three times I hit into the water or this fence, it was on the right.  Dumbass.

(Take my head out of my rear end on these 3 shots yesterday and even without making any birdies, I could have shot a 77)

Originally Posted by Pakoh

gotta give a shout to Lihu!  Holed out from the bunker on #9!  Shot of the day!

That was a great shot!

On a side note, I'm headed to Terra Lago in a few to hit balls and I'll inquire about pricing for us for sometime down the road. I think it'd be a good course for all of us to play... right of the freeway, easy to get too and all of that. Real good layout as well.

Here's the site for those who may be interested in this:

http://www.golfclub-terralago.com/

I think were looking at the spring for this, right guys?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks to everyone for a fun day.  I played terribly and felt bad cause I hurt my team and my fellow inconsistent ~10 on the other team (Golfingdad) had a solid round and was the day's MVP.  But I still had a great time.  Will definitely come to the next one!  Liked the Torrey idea but I wouldn't be able to come if Mac couldn't hook up a locals rate for the group.

Thanks to Pakoh for doing the arrangements.  And I can vouch that his score doesn't reflect how good he plays.  We carted together and his swing is great, really in control of the ball.  It's just he's not exaggerating how bad of a day he had on the greens.  SO many 3 foot misses.

And to Beach's point about distance, that was definitely a factor for me.  Hurt me before I figured it out too.  I hit  a couple approaches right on target that came up short of the green with contact at least good enough to get to the front on a normal SoCal day.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Ya I heard it was awesome. That's real cool.

Jim, here is your twin, Branden Grace!

You both have that 'ginger' scruff look going - and hit the ball well!  Branden is one of the up and coming golfers in Europe.  I believe he had 4 wins this year on the European tour?  So many Americans are just starting to hear his name.  But he looks like he could be a force on tour for many years to come.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

You both have that 'ginger' scruff look going - and hit the ball well!  Branden is one of the up and coming golfers in Europe.  I believe he had 4 wins this year on the European tour?  So many Americans are just starting to hear his name.  But he looks like he could be a force on tour for many years to come.

Good call ... but I think JB Holmes is a better doppelganger for Jim.

They look similar and Jim could absolutely crush it as well.  (High towering loooong drives when he got ahold of it)  Was just waiting to hear him say "Pretty sure it's got a dimple on it now" like from the Callaway TV commercial.

GolfingDad's swing looks better! I haven't played with him in awhile and he clearly played his best golf I've seen him play. Congrats on playing quite well! Lihu, sorry we missed you in the clubhouse. Thanks for coming out and playing. You're a trooper for playing from the tips. The course was nearly 6,800 at sea level. And was damp, wet and cold. So probably played considerably longer than the number. I know there were more than one par four where I had longer approach shots than I'm used to. One in particular I had 197 in, and hit an above average drive in the fairway from a box of 430. So again, thanks for playing with us and hanging in there. Maybe next time, anyone +15 HDCP can play from one box closer? Would probably help? JimDangles, thanks for playing today bud. You hit some stellar shots, and really thought you played much better than your score. You have game and I look forward to playing again. That flop sho t from that downhill lie that you chipped in was touresque! Overall, even though I struggled with my game, I had a great time playing with you guys and hope to do it again this Spring. I think we should do this at least once a quarter as we have some decent golfers and even better dudes to hang and have fun. The winning team in action!

Hi Beach, It was fun, but the first time I scored 111 (a new record for me). It was mostly psychological, and I just couldn't get myself to hit a full swing till the last two tees. Good thing too, I would have run out of balls. In any case, it was great fun getting on the course and getting to meet some fellow bloggers. See you next time around. Lihu Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Good call ... but I think JB Holmes is a better doppelganger for Jim.

They look similar and Jim could absolutely crush it as well.  (High towering loooong drives when he got ahold of it)  Was just waiting to hear him say "Pretty sure it's got a dimple on it now" like from the Callaway TV commercial.

Haha had I thought of that I would have said it. I didnt hit anything too gnarly. I think you Really caught one or two clean that would have been past me. I think i ended up in the water on the hole where you really finally caught it right but when i took my drop i was probably at least 10 yards behind you. We were all pretty solid drivers in our group actually, pretty comparable. That's funny that you mention ginger scruff. My friends make fun of me cuz my facial hair is the only thing that comes in red.

Note: This thread is 4141 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!