IGNORED

My Swing (NotBillCosby)

NotBillCosby
Note: This thread is 4128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf for quite a while, but it was only sporadic and with friends.  Lately, I decided to get serious about the game and took a couple of lessons to work on the problem areas of my swing.  I think there is something wrong with the downswing, but not quite sure what it is for the life of me.  Would really appreciate some great feedback!

I've been Playing Golf for: On and off for the past 5 years, but seriously in the past 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 20+

My typical ball flight is: Inconsistent

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Seems like an over the top swing, not sure how to flatten it out.

Videos:

I can't believe people mistake you for Bill Cosby...

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would try to get the hands more in on the back swing to give it some more depth.  It would also help shorten the golf swing some and help eliminate the over the top move

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Hi NBC...

1.) Try getting your camera setup according to this reference material.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

2.) Looks like you need more waist bend at address. This will help the shoulders turn more vertical versus horizontal.  Here is a solid video from Andrew Rice which addresses this issue, and provides an excellent drill to try at home.

3.) Keep the left arm straight .  This should help reduce the over the top move by shortening your backswing... Ties into the advice Poser provided.

• Upvote 1

Hey fellas, thanks for the comments.  I agree there is overswinging involved.  Maybe I am using too much arms and hands and bringing it up there rather than letting my shoulders rotate.  I agree that there may not be enough bend, which probably explains my frustrating in find the slot and my inconsistency with shots.  Thanks Beachcomber and poser for pointing this out! -NBC

Part of your over swing comes from bending your left arm- you sorta get all floppy up there and lose control of things.  Check this thread out, I think it will help you to shorten things up

http://thesandtrap.com/t/35195/shorter-probably-better-swing-keep-the-right-arm-straight

It discusses keeping the right arm straight, but if you can even come close to doing that, it will likely help with your left arm and should help to shorten up the arm swing

• Upvote 1

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

OK so a checklist of things I have been working on:

1. left arm and right arm straight at takeaway to produce a shorter backswing and keep the left arm straight to backhand the ball

2. keep hands more on the inside to achieve depth in the backswing

3. rotate shoulders more vertically and have left shoulder point at ball - I did this and I can feel that I can power pivot through the ball easier this way

I'll upload something tonight and see if there are any other major issues. My goal is that I really want to be able to hit the ball and see/hear it zip through the air with more acceleration like I see the better players do.  Most the shots I have just seem to float rather than get that piercing trajectory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71MnmBGnUs&feature;=plcp

If embedding doesn't work, link is on top.

Updated swing.  How is this for the takeaway?  I think there seems to be an issue with the wrists in the downswing.  I hit a lot of pushed shots and the ones that managed to go straight were weak.  I did hit a couple that went very nice when I did something with the wrists and I had a feeling like the club was behind me and it hammered through.

Exactly.  Thank you for letting me know.  It feels easier to get the right elbow tucked in than it did before and I think this corrects that. I have no idea to properly hinge/unhinge the wrists.  I think I did do it correctly a couple of times - not sure how - and it felt like a slingshot when it released.  Not sure if this is what I am supposed to feel, but by the look of the ball path, it looked and felt right.

I use a neutral or slightly weak grip. I'll try to get a picture of it sometime, but from what I am told it is correct.

Originally Posted by NotBillCosby

Exactly.  Thank you for letting me know.  It feels easier to get the right elbow tucked in than it did before and I think this corrects that. I have no idea to properly hinge/unhinge the wrists.  I think I did do it correctly a couple of times - not sure how - and it felt like a slingshot when it released.  Not sure if this is what I am supposed to feel, but by the look of the ball path, it looked and felt right.

The left wrist hinge is simple.  Watch this video.  There should only be a vertical wrist hinge of the left wrist.

The left wrist will cock at A4 (vertical wrist cock - or load).

And you will release that vertical wrist cock at impact A7 (vertical wrist cock will unload).

This is also referred to as lag in the golf swing.

Work on that vertical wrist hinge with the left hand/wrist/forearm.

Here is a video I made a few weeks back for another user...

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!