IGNORED

Looping the arms at the top to get swing on plane

Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I took a golf lesson a few months ago and was told to flatten out my downswing to get it on plane, I had to make a looping motion like an upside down J to get a flatter plane.  I have never heard of this in any instruction before, is this common?  It seemed to work, but now the last two times I went out to the range to hit balls, I either shanked them or hit them extremely short.  Before the shanking occurred, I was hitting almost every ball fine, even though my downswing was a bit steep.  Could this new motion be causing my shanks?

It could be that it feels like a looping motion, but in reality is on plane on the back and down swings.  I worked on this with Evolvr.  I used the Ricky Fowler/Jim Furyk feeling like I was bringing the club back higher and then coming back under and inside.  But on film, the swing looks like both the back swing and down swing are on the same plane.

Are you filming your swings?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, that's pretty much Hank Haney's solution to all problems for all students on his show.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Hi,
Yea I have been filming my swings.  I posted one in the member swings section.  It looks as though I am not performing that motion in the swing.  I have tried it before and it seems to work, so I will keep at it.  I am thinking it is more a feeling rather than what is actually happening.  Seems a bit tougher to execute, but hey, that's golf.  Good to know that it is a common technique. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by NotBillCosby

Is the correct sequence, push off from right instep to transfer weight and "bump", clear the hips, then execute the "loop"?

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54697/downswing-sequencing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

"Looping" is what I'm working on now and it's helping me a lot.  Previously I was going back too much on the inside ("2 and in") and thus coming at the ball too much from the inside.  I usually ended up either pushing the ball to the right or, after last minute compensation, hooking it.  I now like the feeling of being a bit to the outside with the hands at the top (but on video it doesn't really look that way) and then dropping the hands down with the hip turn/bump.  That way you've got the needed inside-to-out clubhead path without a swing plane too far to the inside - a nearly impossible situation unless you get handsy.

Yes, think a little "Jim Furyk" on this, but not as much as him necessarily ... .  Good luck with it.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!