IGNORED

Anyone ever have the wheels come completely off...at the range?

Note: This thread is 4124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Happened to me the last time out at the range........Driver was fine but everything else was a mess. I will try some of the tps mentioned above "when" this happens again.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

One thing that often happens on the range is that we think more 'internally' - about technique. Thinking internally disrupts a fluid swing and makes it more 'jerky'. We forget to think about the clubhead, the ball flight, or the target (all external thoughts, which we know promote good coordination and fluid, automated swings). Things can go from bad to worse as the worse we get, the more we think about technique and worse our coordination gets.

Two things might help:

1. We need to think a little bit internally - so its best to focus on fewer, bigger swing components, rather than lots of small details.

2. If things do go wrong - spend the next 20 shots thinking totally externally - not about detailed technique. Let your coordination ('automaticity') recover.....

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by ChrisGSZ

One thing that often happens on the range is that we think more 'internally' - about technique. Thinking internally disrupts a fluid swing and makes it more 'jerky'. We forget to think about the clubhead, the ball flight, or the target (all external thoughts, which we know promote good coordination and fluid, automated swings). Things can go from bad to worse as the worse we get, the more we think about technique and worse our coordination gets.

Two things might help:

1. We need to think a little bit internally - so its best to focus on fewer, bigger swing components, rather than lots of small details.

2. If things do go wrong - spend the next 20 shots thinking totally externally - not about detailed technique. Let your coordination ('automaticity') recover.....

Agree. Almost like getting your body to memorize certain technique without having to "think" it. Let the muscle memory do the work. However, it is better for this to happen at the range so you can spend time correcting instead of on the golf course. When you get to the course... there should be no thinking about your technique, just your next shot.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me tonight.   I thought I was just going to limber up hitting some iron shots but when I got to my 4-iron, I started hitting behind the ball and then continued to push almost every shot afterward.

The advice about stepping back and taking a break will come in handy in the future.  Thanks for sharing.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same here....Started off hitting shots very well yesterday, and then started shanking balls like crazy. Super frustrating and felt like I couldnt get my swing back....went to chipping just to rebuild confidence.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All the time. On the range and on the course. It's the biggest thing I fight. On the range I try to start hitting chips and pitches to get a rut hum down. Last week I stopped and went to putt for a while. On the course I try to hit a few extra shots on a hole to break the bad. I have a major wheels come of the wagon moment every time a play a round which is why I never post a decent score.

Originally Posted by jamo

Occasionally I'll just have a day where everything feels weird. No muscle memory kicks in and I fell like I'm just flailing at the ball. If I'm at the range I just give my bucket to the guy next to me and head home (or to the putting green) for the day. It doesn't usually last more than a day though, which is nice.

This

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Been playing pretty well lately, shot personal lows at my regular course twice in the last week, including this morning.  Went to the range today and I was a complete mess.  I think I chunked or topped about 25 straight balls, hit a few decent drivers, then when back to hacking through the rest of the bucket.

Anyone ever had this happen (particularly after playing well and seeing some improvement)? Everything about my swing felt off and uncomfortable.

Had this happen a couple times earlier this season.  Actually I'm always prone to it happening again, especially at grass ranges.

Once, earlier this season, I shot a personal best 78 and thought I was hot sh**.  I was striping the ball at the range all the next week, preparing for a tournament.  I show up for the tournament and go to warm up, and my first 10-15 shots with my PW were stone cold shanks off the hosel.  Each one getting worse and worse, and I had to tee off in like a half hour.  Needless to say I had a pretty bad round.  Something in the high 90s or 100s.

Every once in a while it will happen again, although I understand a bit of why it happens now, whereas before I had no idea what was going wrong.  It is very scary, humbling and humiliating.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!