IGNORED

Walking with partners who ride

GeorgiaGolfer
Note: This thread is 4154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Every week? Do you have trouble walking or extra money burning a hole in your pocket?

old injuries from my baseball days make walking 18 extremely painful.  Two bad knees and a bad right achilles.  The hills get me good.

Save your high and mighty for someone else :)

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Every week? Do you have trouble walking or extra money burning a hole in your pocket?

Are you dirt poor, or so obese that you need the extra exercise? See, that cuts both ways, and it's equally offensive either way. I walk, I ride. I play with people who walk, and with those who ride. I've never, in 45 years of playing this game, found one group to be better golfers or better people as a result of their preference either way. I struggle to understand the animosity that walkers tend to have for those who opt to ride, and albeit to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa.....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the course is fairly crowned, and I'm in a threesome, sometimes I'll work it out with the other two so that each person walks 6 holes, while the other two rice.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Are you dirt poor, or so obese that you need the extra exercise? See, that cuts both ways, and it's equally offensive either way. I walk, I ride. I play with people who walk, and with those who ride. I've never, in 45 years of playing this game, found one group to be better golfers or better people as a result of their preference either way. I struggle to understand the animosity that walkers tend to have for those who opt to ride, and albeit to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa.....

Lol- dude posted his health issues. I have an extra 25 bucks every time I walk and my BMI is probably below the national average (a lot of fatties in North America).

[VIDEO][/VIDEO][quote name="Datsyuk" url="/t/63104/walking-with-partners-who-ride/18#post_784073"] Lol- dude posted his health issues. I have an extra 25 bucks every time I walk and my BMI is probably below the national average (a lot of fatties in North America).[/quote] And you completely missed my point.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[VIDEO][/VIDEO] And you completely missed my point.....

There was a point? I'll make a list of topics to avoid to keep from offending players from Colorado and Florida. People who ride by choice is top of the list. No further comments. Edit: I'm serious. My sense of haha is wrong for this place.

I play on a course where it's common for  5 somes, and due to the course allowing private carts its not unusual that I will be walking, and the other 4 will be in separate carts.  I find that teeing off first and being able to get a 30 yard head start down one side of the fairway nearly always eliminates me lagging behind.  Its especially true when I outdrive at least one other player, and when I am outdriving all 4, I never lag behind.

So really there isnt an reason I can think of where a walker would cause much of a slowdown, except when the walk from green to the next tee is a bit long.  And even then, I am usually at the next tee by the time 2-3 have teed off.  The main issue is that as long as ready golf is being played, it never becomes an issue.  Add to that equation, a group in front, and then its no issue at all,,just due to all of us are usually waiting for the group to clear either the fairway or the green to hit anyway.

I am often a walker amongst older men who ride in carts.  That is especially the case when I play in the daily low ball games etc.  I find that I rarely slow anyone down because they are driving back and forth to each other's ball while I walk straight to mine.  The only time I ever slow play is if I am playing with a couple of guys  who are really good and they are hitting similar distances.  But that is about it.

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox

I play with a walker every week and I ride and we never have any trouble.  We keep the same pace and play ready golf so I will usually end up hitting shots first.  Lots of times I will just cruise along with him having a conversation and waiting back until he hits and so forth.  Never any issues and we are usually always waiting on groups ahead when its just the two of us.  He's a high 70's shooter and I'm a low 80's.

There's that "elitist" walker syndrome again.  Why do you feel that you even have to ask?  It's a personal choice that's not really any of your business.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I love to walk, but because of my back problems, sometimes it's impossible so I grab a cart and still play with my group who are all walkers, ranging from 38-70 years old.

The only time I find it faster on the cart is getting from my tee shot to my ball and on 2nd shots on Par 5's.  Usually when I'm riding, they will beat me to the green and to the next tee box.  I do what was mentioned earlier though, and ride slowly beside my walking friends.  The only time that I'll speed ahead is when someone (me included) hit a wayward shot and is going to have to search for it.

There was a point? I'll make a list of topics to avoid to keep from offending players from Colorado and Florida. People who ride by choice is top of the list. No further comments.

Edit: I'm serious. My sense of haha is wrong for this place.

Yeah, I've been on this forum for only about a week and I've already noticed that just about every thread Datsyuk posts in is either smart-a** or rude or just plain snobbish.

It's not that your sense of humor is wrong for this place... you just go about it the wrong way.  If you re-word and re-structure some of your responses it may be taken a little more lightly.  There are a lot of great guys on here that bust each others chops but the way they go about it is different.  I'm sure you're going to flame me now but that's ok.  I'm just trying to de-conflict a little bit and shed some light.  Sometimes it takes someone looking in from the outside to let you know how things are coming off.

-Scott

Flight Stand Bag

RAZR Fit Driver

RAZR X HL Irons 4-PW, GW

Tech Series Glove

Black Series Tour Putter

NXT Tour Golf Balls

Maybe Datsyuk will change his attitude with time, maybe not.  If he doesn't he isn't going to find this a very friendly place - or any other forum for that matter.

Many older people play golf despite significant health issues.  That is a very fine thing, one of the great strengths of the game indeed.  I had to give up tennis - my main sport for about 35 years - because of neuropathy.  I took up golf at 50 and am grateful for all it has to offer.

But some older golfers do walk the course because it provides significant exercise for them.  I have to get my exercise other ways (mountain biking mainly).  To each his own.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Quote:
I enjoy walking for the exercise.  It sure beats running down the road bored out of my mind lol!

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment.

I love to walk, but here in Georgia there are a few months of the year where it's 100 degrees and 90% humidity every afternoon. If I tried to walk in those conditions the group behind would maybe find me collapsed on the 4th green. Riding is the only option if I'm going to play golf in June, July, August, or September.

I have often wondered about the lower scores when walking. I attribute it to better concentration. Walking up to the ball, thinking about the shot. No distraction from playing partners sharing a cart - whether conversation or just worrying about whose ball to drive to first.

As it turned out, I rode with my buddies the other day rather than walked - just seemed easier, rather than making a big deal about it.

Looking forward to walking as a single player tomorrow afternoon though.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Are you dirt poor, or so obese that you need the extra exercise? See, that cuts both ways, and it's equally offensive either way.

I walk, I ride. I play with people who walk, and with those who ride. I've never, in 45 years of playing this game, found one group to be better golfers or better people as a result of their preference either way. I struggle to understand the animosity that walkers tend to have for those who opt to ride, and albeit to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa.....

Agree. I always ride and sometimes play with a couple buddies who always walk. It's never been a problem and when I play my local muni and get paired with walkers, I've never had an issue there either.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Chas

Many older people play golf despite significant health issues.

Yes that is true. I should not have attempted humour along with my query. I should have learned that when I did a similar thing to the guy from Florida a month or so ago. Joke not understood then flaming response. Much like now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

Are you dirt poor, or so obese that you need the extra exercise? See, that cuts both ways, and it's equally offensive either way.

I walk, I ride. I play with people who walk, and with those who ride. I've never, in 45 years of playing this game, found one group to be better golfers or better people as a result of their preference either way. I struggle to understand the animosity that walkers tend to have for those who opt to ride, and albeit to a somewhat lesser extent, vice versa.....

I never suggested anyone was "better" or "worse". Otherwise able bodied people choose to ride for a lot of reasons. I see it in person every week. I don't often see a rider playing every week with the same walker unless they have trouble walking but that's none of my business. That it does not make sense to me or that I never see it is not my business. I thought I was obvously posing my unwaranted query in a humorous manner, but I have learned that when it comes to walking and wedges (I think that was topic where I attempted to make a joke in a reply to you but it was completely misinterpreted). Most riders by choice are quick to point out their underlying health issues or environmental conditions or how they are (or used to be) a star athlete when not on the golf cours all of which seem to matter a great deal to them, until someone else asks for details and then why is completely a non-issue and off limits. Since I clearly don't know where the line so I'll avoid the topic. Why someone couldn't just say, "I ride because I prefer it" and leave it at that is not logical to me, so I will let it go.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I love to walk, but because of my back problems, sometimes it's impossible so I grab a cart and still play with my group who are all walkers, ranging from 38-70 years old.

The only time I find it faster on the cart is getting from my tee shot to my ball and on 2nd shots on Par 5's.  Usually when I'm riding, they will beat me to the green and to the next tee box.  I do what was mentioned earlier though, and ride slowly beside my walking friends.  The only time that I'll speed ahead is when someone (me included) hit a wayward shot and is going to have to search for it.

Why is that? It seems very common in this discussion that the walkers are getting to the green and next tee first and aren't slowing the riders down. In another discussion anyone suggesting a walker could keep up to rider was ludicrous. Logic fuzzy - topic avoided.

Originally Posted by RAZR

Yeah, I've been on this forum for only about a week and I've already noticed that just about every thread Datsyuk posts in is either smart-a** or rude or just plain snobbish.

I was curious about why people choose to get around the course the way do whereever it is they play. If that's considered snobbish in the USA I'll not ask it again on this USA based forum.

Datsyuk,

You tell us that you have been making attempts at humor in this thread and that they have been misunderstood.  To be candid with you, I have seen no real evidence of humor in anything you have written and so I'm skeptical.  Others here probably feel likewise.  I could say more but I won't.

It's an interesting discussion and I welcome your comments.  But please, when you try to be funny in future, either write something that is clearly witty or do us all a favor and use a suitable indicator .... that's what smilies are there for.

Charles.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

Datsyuk,

You tell us that you have been making attempts at humor in this thread and that they have been misunderstood.  To be candid with you, I have seen no real evidence of humor in anything you have written and so I'm skeptical.  Others here probably feel likewise.  I could say more but I won't.

It's an interesting discussion and I welcome your comments.  But please, when you try to be funny in future, either write something that is clearly witty or do us all a favor and use a suitable indicator .... that's what smilies are there for.

Charles.

I agree that adding a smilie seems to give people carte blanche. I'm not asking for your approval to have an opinion either. Flame on.

Note: This thread is 4154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!