IGNORED

Why are you not playing scratch?

golfdesperado
Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you look at the stats, the scratch guy is making 4-5 more pars and 1 or 2 more birdies than the guy shooting 80 on average. He is also having a lot fewer doubles. Birdies to some extend are a result of hitting another 4 GIR. If you have 4 more 15-20 ft putts, a couple go in.

Birdies are also worth more to the higher scoring player. Lets compare a guy shooting 81 and a  guy shooting 72 (assume those are ~10 and 0 respectivily). The 81 gets an extra .5 strokes per hole. So every birdie saves 1 stroke while a bogey only costs .5.  If that guy gets a birdie and a double, he is right on pace.  The 72 guy on the other when he makes a double, he needs to get 2 birdies to make up for it.  So the high scoring guy can negate a double with a birdie, while the scratch guy needs eagle for the same effect.

Originally Posted by Williamevanl

One other thing, I don't know if anyone else has thought about why it's misleading but my thought is that it has to do with the difference between pars and birdies. Hear me out. :) It's pretty easy to make pars after you get semi-decent at golf, you can hack it around and make pars. Birdies on the other hand are much much more difficult to consistently pull off.

I feel like this is a chasm between the birdie and the par that really creates that separation as you approach scratch. You need to be technically much more perfect to pull out even a handful of birdies (maybe just 3 a round) and this is where I think it really breaks down for people that are 5-6 handicaps.

If nothing else consider this, at some point to shoot even par you have to be just as likely to make a birdie as you are a bogey. (think about that, it's crazy, and I suppose just similarly make two birdies for every double). It's not necessarily about more fairways and greens. It's about a huge leap in the level of playing ability on several holes to jump that chasm between par and birdie. If you are technically very skilled and can hit a lot of shots to 10-12 feet and sink those putts than you can offset your mistakes and be scratch. The majority of people are not. You are not close with your 12 pars and 6 bogeys, not close at all. The enormous gap in the skill required to convert 3 of those bogies to birdies is ENORMOUS. It is not simply 6 strokes.

While scratch is definitely difficult, being scratch does not mean you shoot par or under par every time you tee it up. Scratch golfers have bad days just like anyone. My scores are decent but as you can see below I am not going on Tour anytime soon.

Here are my GHIN revision scores.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aside from the fractions........I average 2.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

http://www.probablegolfinstruction.com/PGI%20Newsletter/news09-07-04.htm I haven't read the source paper in a while but saying ~3 seems like a pretty safe answer.

Quote:

Just curious ... How many birdies does a typical scratch golfer average per round? I'm going to guess between 2 and 3???

Just curious ... How many birdies does a typical scratch golfer average per round? I'm going to guess between 2 and 3???

I just checked my stats on scorecard, I average just under 4 birdies a round. 3.78 to be exact.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator

Remember, too, a scratch golfer could shoot 72 five times, 73 five times, and 74-79 the other ten times on a 72.5 rated course and be scratch. Despite never breaking par.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Remember, too, a scratch golfer could shoot 72 five times, 73 five times, and 74-79 the other ten times on a 72.5 rated course and be scratch. Despite never breaking par.

Now you're just pandering to the "there ain't nothin' to it" crowd! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by David in FL

Now you're just pandering to the "there ain't nothin' to it" crowd!

Well, not really (but I think you knew that which is why you put the ! and the ;) face).

Just pointing out that the idea that you're just as likely to make a birdie as a bogey isn't exactly true.

It's PRETTY close to being true, though! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Well, not really (but I think you knew that which is why you put the ! and the ;) face).

Just pointing out that the idea that you're just as likely to make a birdie as a bogey isn't exactly true.

It's PRETTY close to being true, though! :)

Nope, and that's why I when I wrote it I thought to very careful with my words and said, "to shoot even par". I understand there's a cushion there provided by the handicap system for a scratch handicap that lets you screw up 10 of 20 times, get rid of blow up holes (ESC) that kind of thing.

I can echo several members here with the lack of playing time.   I'm working two jobs and most weekends are busy.  I would be happy to consistently be a bogey golfer but realize that until I commit more practice and playing time, the game is going to suffer.   I did take a few lessons and the instructor stressed that if I wanted to score better, I needed to practice where most of the strokes come from, around the green.    Since that lesson, my game has improved (still a work in progress) but I focus more practice time around the green, learning to get up and down.

Some day when I retire...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Also keep in mind that "course par" is irrelevant.  What matters is how your 10 best scores compare to the course rating.  If you play a difficult course with a high course rating, it's possible to average 77 and still play to a 0 handicap.

I know from experience...LOL     For example, a 77  on my home course= a 1.5 Diff.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I think it is safe to say we all can agree that if we did not have to work and could play golf all day everyday as many of us want to we absolutely would and who knows where we all could be in a year if we did so. But going along with the time you put into the game is also the type of practice you put into the game. Practice smart! Beating balls is not smart.

Also instead of paying to hit range balls constantly. Go to a local public course that has a putting green and just practice different short game shots and when you do go to the range practice from 120 and in. I used to be obsessed with seeing how far I could hit the ball. Problem was I would out drive my dad by 50 yards but I would also be 50 yards in the woods. If you wanna score play smart play within yourself.

Anyways!! Just keep having goals and playing golf! As long as your having fun who cares what you shoot! Also some words of motivation.

Greg Norman went from a 24 to a scratch in about 18 months. Just sayin.

Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!