IGNORED

Why are you not playing scratch?

golfdesperado
Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's not easy being in the top 1% at anything....

1%.....? That's one out of every 100 golfers. Not even close. I'd bet closer to one out of every thousand! This game is hard......playing it at a scratch level is extraordinarily difficult for even the most talented, determined, and athletically inclined.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by David in FL

1%.....? That's one out of every 100 golfers. Not even close. I'd bet closer to one out of every thousand!

This game is hard......playing it at a scratch level is extraordinarily difficult for even the most talented, determined, and athletically inclined.

Yes, of those who have handicaps, only 0.68% are 0.0 or better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Currently, I think time is all that is stopping me from being scratch.

That time would be greatly reduced if there was no such thing as winter, I had a whole lot of money, didn't have to work, and didn't have to go to school.

I do think I will get to scratch at some point in my life. My GIR has been as good as a scratch golfers recently and so I think it's a matter of polishing some areas to consistency before I get there.

:whistle:

Yes, of those who have handicaps, only 0.68% are 0.0 or better.

And do we have any estimate of what % of golfers actually have a handicap?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The lowest I have ever been is a 4.7.  I made tons of pars but few birdies.  I might shoot 74 or 75 without a single birdie.  Of course on the days I did make 4 or 5 birdies, I'd also toss in more bogeys or a few others.  I think part of getting down to scratch is ultimately as much mental as it is mechanics.    I couldn't tell you how many times I have lost a really good round on the last couple of holes due to the pressure of shooting a low number.   I have only shot even par 3 times.  However, I also couldn't tell you how many times I have been several under par on one side or the other in a single round.  You know, 42 - 34 or 33 - 41.

Also, remember, to be scratch it means that you will shoot close to a course's rating and not its par.  So, if the course rating is 69, then that is what the scratch golfer should shoot on that course. Conversely, on a really hard course, "scratch" might be 74 or 75.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

The lowest I have ever been is a 4.7.  I made tons of pars but few birdies.  I might shoot 74 or 75 without a single birdie.  Of course on the days I did make 4 or 5 birdies, I'd also toss in more bogeys or a few others.  I think part of getting down to scratch is ultimately as much mental as it is mechanics.    I couldn't tell you how many times I have lost a really good round on the last couple of holes due to the pressure of shooting a low number.   I have only shot even par 3 times.  However, I also couldn't tell you how many times I have been several under par on one side or the other in a single round.  You know, 42 - 34 or 33 - 41.

Also, remember, to be scratch it means that you will shoot close to a course's rating and not its par.  So, if the course rating is 69, then that is what the scratch golfer should shoot on that course. Conversely, on a really hard course, "scratch" might be 74 or 75.

I think I have all the talent to be a scratch golfer physically. I am highly coordinated and athletic but mentally I struggle. If I to harness my brain over the next couple of years I would do it. This is one of the big components that draws me to this game. I want to learn to focus and control my mindset. Eliminate second guessing, negativity or stupidity from my game. I don't doubt I can do the physical realm. I still have a lot of time to dedicate to practice. My handicap dropped 5 strokes this year and I suspect more next year but if scratch ever does come it won't be for a while yet, maybe 3-4 years, who knows.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

a lot of it for me is the time and money to invest in the necessary training to be super consistent.  I certainly feel I have the ability to hit the shots, my problem falls in not being able to consistently repeat those shots.  I love the game but being in my 30's its hard to find enough time to dedicate to just golf in order to go super low.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

The best way to track your progress is by keeping hole-by-hole stats!   Try it for awhile and see how you do....When I first started keeping stats 10yrs ago, I was shocked by reality.  I honestly thought they'd be much better!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

For me, it has everything to do with not being able to make birdies with any sort of consistency. You can make pars all you like, but you will make at least 1 bogey per round more often than not, and I seem to be unable to offset them with birdies.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

I played 111 rounds this year and about the same last year (only been playing 2 years & I started at age 46). I went from 120+ to high 80's. I don't think it's possible to play much more golf and hold down a full time job. Ive played with scratch players - the difference between bogie and scratch is akin to a high school physics club compared to a MIT doctoral candidate. Light years ahead in every aspect of the game. Aside from that, it requires natural ability that can not be taught. Personally, I'm fully aware I don't have the body left to ever be scratch, but that's ok - I think in a few years I could be single digit player if i continue the work ethic (from the white tees), and that's good enough !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

It all boils down to stats. keep the stats, and you will see where you fall short.  For any given HC, the USGA has stats that you can expect for that player. I've seen others post them and it's very informative to see how you stack up.   IE....if you are a 20HC....comparing your stats with a typical 10HC can be very informative.  I don't have the link handy, but I'm sure somebody can post it for me

My stats for 2012 are the furthest thing from impressive, but it was good enough to get to 0HC.

I took a sample from May 1st to October 1st: (86 round logged in those 5 months)

Fairways Hit: 53%.........not impressive!

GIR: 46%.............below average for a 0HC

Successful Saves: 41%

Sand Saves: 33%

Putting:  per hole/per GIR/Per 18........1.63/1.82/29.31

I miss more than my share of fairways and greens, but scramble well and find a way to save pars. If I get a good look at birdie, there's a good chance I'll drain it.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I play alongside scratch and even up to +5 players from time to time at my home course. One thing I can say about scratch and plus handicap players is they rarely let a bogey or even a double bogey faze them during a round and this is because they know they have the ability to recover those lost shots very quickly with a streak of 3 or 4 birdies in a row and this in turn reinforces mental toughness. Being at 4.7 has been an uphill climb since starting at 8.7 this past april and I feel very limited out right now on covering my index at this time but I know I can do it just the same, birdies don't come in bunches for me like the aforementioned, more like 1 to 3 a round is about the average and sometimes none at all, I just don't have doubles very often maybe 1 a round.

A lot of people have mentioned time to practice and money as being factors.  I agree that could be a factor for most of us - however I know 2 scratch golfers (I know - huge sample, right?) - One of them doesn't practice at all.  He has the same clubs he used on his highschool golf team 20 years ago.  He does not watch golf or the golf channel.  He recently told me about an artical he read in a golf magazine - mentioning that it was the first time he had read a golf magazine in at least 10 years.  That guy just has natural talent.  Probably not PGA level - but who knows what he could've done if he worked on his game.  To be fair - this guy has no handicap so he's not officially a scratch and he might be closer to a 2 or 3 because I think he only plays with me (at least in the last year or so) - and we play easy courses.

The other guy I know defies the money part of the equation.  This guy lives, eats and sleeps golf - but isn't wealthy or from wealthy parents.  This kind of scratch golfer is probably more common - the one who has made financial sacrifices (ie - not having money) to further thier golf game.

Playing at scratch level is not for everyone because:

1. not enough talent (fysical and or mental)

2. picking up wrong habits

3. not enough time and or money

4. started too late

For me it is 1. and 4. I will be a single digit golfer within 1 or 2 year (so 4 or 5 years from starting). They say I got some talent, but started at the age of 53. So only a miracle will get me to scratch.

I think it is better to set reachable goals. For me it was/is:

- first year below HCP 27 (made 24.9)

- second year below 18 (made 16.9)

- third year below 14 (now 13.4)

- fourth year below 11 (next year)

- fifth year below 10 (two years from now)

time & $ !

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

For me its,

1) Short game, i have wasted 4-5 shots inside 100 yards before, perfect drive on a short hole = double or triple bogey, oh yea, NO PENALTIES!!!

2) More GIR's, if i am on my game, i have hit over 75% of greens, but i get one round a year like that. I am usually good for 40-50%. I need near 75-80% with my short game.

3) Putting, i am two putt machine, really need to work on making more putts

For me, its first, hit more greens, more greens = less time using my horrible short game. Make sure when i am hitting GIR's, i am getting it closer to the hole. Finally, short game, really need to stop being fearful of it, its a real negative for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!