IGNORED

1957 US Masters Green Jacket

njacobsen
Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of an unusual question and I was wondering if there was anyone that might be able to help me? I was at a game of cricket today when I noticed this elderly gentleman wearing a green jacket with the US Masters logo on it. After noticing it I asked the gentleman about the jacket and he told me that it belonged to Doug Ford when he won the Masters in 1957 and that he had purchased it a few years ago (the pocket says Augusta National Masters 1957). He said that the older pocket was a slightly different design than the one used today and he was also kind enough to let me take a few photos with me wearing the jacket. When I got home I looked up the jacket on the internet, however I couldn't find any photos that resembled the man's jacket.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this jacket is the real deal? Bear in mind that the elderly gentleman seemed quite an honest person and the jacket also seemed authentic. Furthermore, this occurred in Australia. If anyone could shine any light on this for me I would really appreciate it!

I'd suggest that the jacket was a fake and the old guy was just having some fun.   If you look at any vintage photos of Masters ceremonies throughout the years (even those from the late 50's) you'll see the jackets always had only the simple logo of the club and never had embroidered words of any kind.      The Augusta National membership would not be so gauche as to let someone print "Augusta National" across the breast pocket.

Here's Doug Ford getting his jacket at the ceremony.  Note the jacket doesn't look any different than they do now.   And also note that the buttons are much higher than in the one in your photo - that deep lapel drop and two button style wasn't wasn't what they used back then.

Originally Posted by njacobsen

No the jacket I saw is slightly different. Here is a picture that I took with the jacket on. I just figured out how to include the photo. Hopefully the link works

It's an obvious fake.  In fact, I don't  even think the above jacket even tries to copy the original.   The above jacket is a souvenir from a gift shop. It's nothing like the real thing, except it's green.......(the wrong shade of green)

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 4151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!