IGNORED

Anyone else?

SloverUT
Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of posts on here about people loving to play solo to work on their game,etc.  I generally play solo a lot because the majority of my friends are not golfers, or at least are not as into as I am.  But I find that I concentrate and play better when I am with other people.  I thrive on the competition and it keeps me going and focused.

However, when I play solo, I lose focus quickly and start to rush through my shots.  I can't seem to truly get into a round if I am a solo player.  Anyone else experience this or do you guys enjoy playing alone?

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i like to play alone just because if i didn't, i wouldn't play.  i really don't know many golfers.  generally i get paired with other players when i play alone though, although i love a quick 9 hole walk by myself in the summer evenings quite a bit.  honestly i don't think it effects my playing one way or another.

the only thing that does affect my game that involves other people is obviously people with poor etiquette that talk during shots or whatnot, and also very slow play really irks me and as a result i generally play poorly.

It depends, there are times when I like to play alone and times I won't play alone.  I find advantages and disadvantages in both, so it depends on my mood as to which I choose to do.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

A bit of both really, I feel that when I play on my own, the same as you I tend to lose focus and start playing multiple shots and end up getting nothing out of it!

If I am playing with people, especially a two ball, I much prefer it as there is friendly competition and you generally play fast. Obviously it's also good to talk to another person when your playing!

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I see a lot of posts on here about people loving to play solo to work on their game,etc.  I generally play solo a lot because the majority of my friends are not golfers, or at least are not as into as I am.  But I find that I concentrate and play better when I am with other people.  I thrive on the competition and it keeps me going and focused.

However, when I play solo, I lose focus quickly and start to rush through my shots.  I can't seem to truly get into a round if I am a solo player.  Anyone else experience this or do you guys enjoy playing alone?

Much rather play with others.  While I prefer to play with friends, most of my golfing friends were originally strangers who I got paired up with on the course when either I or they showed up as a single.  So I don't really mind meeting new people and playing with them, as that just creates the potential for cultivating more playing friends.  I really don't much like playing alone, and I won't do it unless I have no choice.  Golf is both social and competitive, and both require at least two players to be meaningful.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Love the game either way, but I do enjoy playing with others, especially if they are competitive. I play my best under pressure, always have in anything I do. I'm down to scratch right now, and the better I get, the more I love putting my swing under pressure.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I practice at the range or on the putting green or short game chipping area, but I know enough people that I rarely play by myself.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I think a common theme I see on here is people making friends by being paired up together on the course.  Fortunately or unfortunately, that rarely happens on the courses I play.  There are so many courses in the area that even on busy days there is rarely a starter/ranger.  So unless someone asks me or I ask them, I'm never forced to pair up with anyone.

Jeff

I am quite the opposite in that when I'm solo(rare these days) I play much more under control and really slow myself down.  I tend to rush more when I'm playing with others.  The only bad part when I'm playing alone is that when I hit a great shot..I have no one to share it with!

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I like to play with others. It helps in finding my ball. :-) It helps in bringing out the competition feeling and I want to do my best. It is nice to meet new people It is nice to have another player who is better then you so you can watch HIM and hopefully learn. It is nice to have a another player who is worse then you. You feel he is watching YOU to learn. :~( I stay more focused to continue after a bad bad hole. AND I like to play alone also. It takes more time finding my ball but I do not feel embarrassed. To stay focused and competitive I tell myself this is the final day in the PGA tour and I am tied with T.W. And woosh first drive is a slice. and NO mulligan! It is nice to walk on the field alone with all the peace and beauty around you. Feeling free and stress free. Enjoy doing what you enjoy most. Priceless. Nobody is watching you when you go berzerk when you make your fourth puxxy shot in a row. You don't have to stay focused and you can give up after a bad bad hole. And tell yourself to find another sport to play like watching tv.

www.GolfDesperado.com - From desperate to scratch. I am still desperate :)

I like to play with others. It helps in finding my ball. :-)

This. :-D I play better with others as well. It keeps my mind from thinking about swing mechanics which allows me to play the game. I have more time for shot selection because I tend to read greens and go through my shot selection process while waiting for other players. When I'm by myself, there's nothing to focus on but golf and I have a tendency to play around with my swing. I also don't spend enough time before the shot and that's definitely a discipline thing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I find that I play more focused when I'm by myself. When I play with freinds I usually play well but it sometimes goes down hill depending on the mood of the group (usually "influenced" by beer ) .

Interestingly enough, I find that I play very inconsistent when I'm paired up with people I don't know. I feel rushed, and a little self conscious and lose sight of whatever swing improvements I've been working on. Usually by the back nine I've settled down and play much better golf. I think for this reason, I will make an effort to get paired up with people I don't know more often, until I'm able to play more confidently under those circumstances. My general thought is, if I can't mentally conquer playing a causal round with strangers, I'll never be able to withstand competition golf.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Most of the time, I prefer to play alone.  I like to focus on my game and I find that most people like to chit-chat or are simply annoying and I find that it distracts me.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Prefer to play with friends or alone. Pairing up with strangers is hit or miss. I've met some nice people but some of the worst days I've ever had on the course were due to playing with strangers. Everything from excessively slow people to nonstop talkers.

Dave :-)

I played alone a ton this year. Sometimes I play kickass alone, sometimes not so good. I like playing enough I will take what ever I can get. I really wish I had a friend or 3 others that was into golf as much as I am and on a relatively similar schedule. I enjoy the times I get to play with some of my friends where we have a 2 vs 2 match.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I play 5-6 times a week when I'm off work (2 of every 4 weeks) and I have playing partners 2-3 of those days. The other 2-3 I play alone. Depending on how I'm playing sometimes I prefer to be alone because I can hit 2-3 balls per hole and work on things that are plaguing me.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

Since I moved to Dallas for my job this past May I play alone a lot. This is due to the fact that most of my friends still live in Baton Rouge, and also because my days off work are generally during the week; so even the few friends I have here can't play. I have a few coworkers I play with sometimes but I'm usually by myself.

I actually find now I play better by myself, which is something I need to get out of bc I like playing well and playing with people.

Originally Posted by slodsm

I play 5-6 times a week when I'm off work (2 of every 4 weeks) and I have playing partners 2-3 of those days. The other 2-3 I play alone. Depending on how I'm playing sometimes I prefer to be alone because I can hit 2-3 balls per hole and work on things that are plaguing me.

what kind of job gives you two weeks off after every 4???? it might be time for a career change for me!

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!