IGNORED

Redo the old or just buy new?

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just started golfing in July of this year with some old ping eye 2 irons. I went to a local golf shop and was fitted for new ping g20 irons with a green dot and 1.5 inches over standard length, the pings I am using now are black dot and standard length. Would it be better to reshaft my old pings and have them bent to the correct lie for around 200$ or buy the new g20's for 650$? When i was fitted i bought a g20 7 iron to my specs went to the range and hit 20 balls with the old club and the new. They all pretty much landed in the same spot and for this reason is why I need some opinions form some more experienced golfers because of course the guy at the pro shop is telling me to buy the g20's, but he wants to make a sale of course. After playing semi-pro football for the last 7 years I know equipment matters to a point, but I also know no matter how much money you drop on the newest and greatest gear on the market you can not buy skills. So that being said please help !

Are you figuring in the cost of the shafts too? If it were me I'd just get new clubs.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

I personally don't think reshafttng a whole set of irons is cost effective. That is what a store pro told me anyway. I had one club with a shaft that doesn't match the rest of the set and it really was not worth the cost to replace it, cheaper to find a replacement club.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

In your case I'd suggest that you find someone who will give you some sort of trade in on your set for the new set.

I think Ping Eye 2 s are fairly desirable on the used club market. You might get a couple hundred bucks for them. There is a club value webpage that can tell you about what they are worth. I believe it's on PGA.com.

To reshaft your clubs you are looking at something like $10 a shaft plus a new grip maybe $6 - $8 plus labor so I'm guessing 8 clubs 4 thru SW might cost you around $250. For another couple of hundred bucks you've got a brand new set. ($650 - $200 trade-in = $450)

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Originally Posted by bigwave916

In your case I'd suggest that you find someone who will give you some sort of trade in on your set for the new set.

I think Ping Eye 2 s are fairly desirable on the used club market. You might get a couple hundred bucks for them. There is a club value webpage that can tell you about what they are worth. I believe it's on PGA.com.

To reshaft your clubs you are looking at something like $10 a shaft plus a new grip maybe $6 - $8 plus labor so I'm guessing 8 clubs 4 thru SW might cost you around $250. For another couple of hundred bucks you've got a brand new set. ($650 - $200 trade-in = $450)

I was wrong....I guess your Ping Eye 2s aren't as desirable as I thought. $68 trade-in....still when you consider the cost of reshafting (nad my number is probably on the low side) it still makes sense to just buy the new clubs, IMHO.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Originally Posted by bigwave916

I was wrong....I guess your Ping Eye 2s aren't as desirable as I thought. $68 trade-in....still when you consider the cost of reshafting (nad my number is probably on the low side) it still makes sense to just buy the new clubs, IMHO.

Trade in values generally stink.... my brand new Callaway Razr X Black driver that is sitting in the corner is only worth $48.88 in trade!!

BUT... looking at eBay, he could probably easily get $200 for them there, or even Craigslist.

thanks for your help guys but bigwave i forgot to put in my post that i bought a set of project x 6.0 rifle shafts and a 10 pack of jumbo grips. i spent 110 on both and the pro shop 12$ a club to put them together. regardless of the money issue i guess my question should be , are new irons going to help me golf better then my old ones? because so far i cant tell any difference between the two. that also could because of my lack of experience with golf in general though

You can save $12.00 a club by shafting them your self. I've done it many times and it's not that difficult. The hardest part is getting the old shaft out. I use a propane torch and a welder's glove.  Check out Ralph Maltby's Golfworks for instructions on how to do it.

But since your question is really about whether the shaft change will improve your game......my experience tells me "no".

I was playing forged blades before I went to John Jacobs golf school quite a few years ago. Game improvement irons were really becoming popular. I asked one of the pros who was teaching there about game improvement irons and he said: "What I see people do is make an immediate improvement that goes away almost as fast because they get sloppy and hit the ball all over the face because they can get away with it.  Soon, they are shooting same scores they had with the blades."

I expect that your shafts will be the same, If you notice any difference at all it probably won't last.

Regards,

Big Wave

Bigwave you have been a huge help and many thanks...you answered my question to a tee. Im going to just use my "golf money" and spend it on tee time range balls and some lessons. like I said before you cant buy skills in any sport!

• 3 weeks later...

As a golf professional and club fitter the Ping Eye 2 is a good set of clubs.  While reshafting the clubs will help, I believe from reading all the post that you didn't address getting the lie of the club altered, from black to green.  This adjustment is as important or more important than the shaft.  The color code refers to the lie angle of the iron.  The lie angle will effect the direction you hit the club.  Finding the proper lie angle will enable the bottom of the club to contact the ground correctly which will assist in hitting the ball straighter.  I would suggest you get this addressed and done by PING.  They will adjust the irons for $3/club which I believe is well worth the investment.

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!