IGNORED

Can Online Golf Lessons Help your Game?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Evolvr is definitely good value. I have no idea what to expect from tehm though.

I'm with Evolvr on the monthly plan and I think it's great. I've never take lessons prior to this though so I really have nothing to compare it too. LOTS of Evolvr students on here though and to my knowledge every single one of them is improving. I'd say try them out for two months and if you don't like it cancel, you're only out $80 which is a drop in the bucket as far as golf lessons go. The lessons are short but highly effective (probably because they're short) and the nice thing about online lessons is once you download it you can watch it as often as you want. I usually watch them before I practice to make sure I stay on point and don't get distracted by swing issues other than the ONE that is my priority piece. Proper prioritization is a big part of why Evolvr works so well.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just signed up for evolvr and got my first evaluation last week from James H.  I felt that James did identify the biggest issue with my swing and showed me what to do to correct it.  Additionally James also explained the cause and effect.  Even though I've only received one lesson feedback, I can tell that I did the right thing by signing up and that my game will improve dramatically over the next few months.

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and try to read up on what I can and THINK that I have a somewhat decent understanding of the golf swing.  The thing is, there is a difference between knowing the technical aspect of the swing and being able to properly diagnose / assess your own swing.  This is where quality instructions come in.

The main point of my post though is to share my main concern with on-line lessons to those who are considering evolvr or another on-line lesson source.  Being about a 20 handicap, I FEEL that my swing varies greatly from good shots to bad shots.  I was concerned that sending in a video of just a swing from down the line and one from face on would not be a representative sample of my swings.  I ended up emailing Eric about it to which his response was "the swings those folks make are 99.4% the same. The only thing that changes is a teeny bit of timing stuff that has them hitting the ball fat or thin, or pulling AND slicing it, etc.".  Eric response made sense and alleviated my concern.  I then signed up for evolvr.

The last point I want to make for potential on-line students is that there are lots of free software that you can use to easily trim out your swing video to select the one you want to upload – assuming you did a long recording of several swings.  Most of those same free software will also allow you to easily combine two videos (one from face on and one from down the line) as one video to potentially make it easier for you to upload / archive.

Even though I just started with evolvr and knowing what I know now along with my first lesson feedback, I really wished I had signed up much sooner.  I would have enjoyed the game even more.  Now I just need to go out there and practice. J

Good luck to all.

Originally Posted by Mello

I just signed up for evolvr and got my first evaluation last week from James H.  I felt that James did identify the biggest issue with my swing and showed me what to do to correct it.  Additionally James also explained the cause and effect.  Even though I've only received one lesson feedback, I can tell that I did the right thing by signing up and that my game will improve dramatically over the next few months.

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and try to read up on what I can and THINK that I have a somewhat decent understanding of the golf swing.  The thing is, there is a difference between knowing the technical aspect of the swing and being able to properly diagnose / assess your own swing.  This is where quality instructions come in.

The main point of my post though is to share my main concern with on-line lessons to those who are considering evolvr or another on-line lesson source.  Being about a 20 handicap, I FEEL that my swing varies greatly from good shots to bad shots.  I was concerned that sending in a video of just a swing from down the line and one from face on would not be a representative sample of my swings.  I ended up emailing Eric about it to which his response was "the swings those folks make are 99.4% the same. The only thing that changes is a teeny bit of timing stuff that has them hitting the ball fat or thin, or pulling AND slicing it, etc.".  Eric response made sense and alleviated my concern.  I then signed up for evolvr.

The last point I want to make for potential on-line students is that there are lots of free software that you can use to easily trim out your swing video to select the one you want to upload – assuming you did a long recording of several swings.  Most of those same free software will also allow you to easily combine two videos (one from face on and one from down the line) as one video to potentially make it easier for you to upload / archive.

Even though I just started with evolvr and knowing what I know now along with my first lesson feedback, I really wished I had signed up much sooner.  I would have enjoyed the game even more.  Now I just need to go out there and practice.  J

Good luck to all.

Awesome that you joined up!  You will enjoy it and it will help you greatly.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Here's my question, do you have to go out and buy a camera or are the videos from a good smart phone good enough?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Here's my question, do you have to go out and buy a camera or are the videos from a good smart phone good enough?

I am on evolvr and am currently using my iphone.  It isn't the best out there, but its good enough.

I think my hc will be dropping pretty fast since I identified the major flaw in my grip. At least the recent rounds have seen some big drops already. So once I see a stabilization in my hc again I'll probably look at doing this.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• 2 months later...

I am new to this forum but after reading this thread I decided to signe up to Evolvr and submit my swing. Two days later I am still waiting for my analysis trying to be patient :D

I have been playing for about 15 months and seen my handicap drop from 35 to 19.7 in the last couple of months after reading Swing Like a Pro and Ben Hogan’s 5 principle... I then took a couple of lessons that contradicted most things though in those two books and most of what I read on this forum. Those "pro" tips really messed up my swing and had put some doubts into my head.

So I am really hoping that I will be able to get some consistent information about the swing from Evolvr because I really think the quality of information from some teachers out there is severely lacking.

Anyway, going into a long 5-6 month offseason here in Iceland so I think I will use Evolvr (if I like it) to really build a solid swing before the season starts again.

Tryggvi

Originally Posted by tryggvirafn

I am new to this forum but after reading this thread I decided to signe up to Evolvr and submit my swing. Two days later I am still waiting for my analysis trying to be patient :D

I have been playing for about 15 months and seen my handicap drop from 35 to 19.7 in the last couple of months after reading Swing Like a Pro and Ben Hogan’s 5 principle... I then took a couple of lessons that contradicted most things though in those two books and most of what I read on this forum. Those "pro" tips really messed up my swing and had put some doubts into my head.

So I am really hoping that I will be able to get some consistent information about the swing from Evolvr because I really think the quality of information from some teachers out there is severely lacking.

Anyway, going into a long 5-6 month offseason here in Iceland so I think I will use Evolvr (if I like it) to really build a solid swing before the season starts again.

Tryggvi

You won't be disappointed. Just follow their lesson plans and focus on the priority they give you. The lessons are typically only around 5 minutes but they give your priority piece instead of the informational overload that some instructors give you. In my case, even though I have a ways to go before I can say I'm really "nailing" the positions they're trying to get me into I am playing the best golf of my life right now. Last three rounds were all ∼10 strokes better than I used to be.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by tryggvirafn

Tryggvi

I agree with Ernest. It really helped me out.  Be patient with yourself as well.  Gangi þér vel

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the double post here. New members do get free assistance though, there is no question.

I remember having a conversation with Erik about a year ago about evolvr. I said evolvr looks great, but isn't nearly as good as an in-person lesson with a good instructor. He agreed. I'm actually starting to think Erik was wrong. Evolvr can be better because the instruction is so good. They really do find your biggest problem and educate you on it and how to fix it. Sometimes a good instructor can overlook the primary problem (no one's perfect, but this has happened to me before and online lessons from Mike and Erik have come to my rescue).

Yes, they aren't standing next to you watching you hit balls, nor are they there for you when you hit a snag during a range session, but knowing exactly what the problem is -- for me, anyway -- is extremely important. It alleviates so many of my frustrations and concerns when I have a clear picture in my head on where the issue lies. I'm not jumping off in another direction in an attempt to fix something that isn't there. I'm sticking with something despite whatever struggles I am encountering, knowing that despite bad contact -- for whatever the reason -- I am on the right track.

Man, this is good. My experience has been very similar. One thing I did not realize when I signed up was how hard it was going to be to make the swing changes. It is a ton of work, but really glad I'm doing it.

Disclaimer: only one lesson deep ... Been taking lessons from a Pro ... After one lesson on Evolvr I am disappointed I spent so much time/money with the pro ... I did improve under the pro ... But I knew I had a swing flaw ... I felt I was a chicken winger ... First lesson, The Evolvr guys called it out ... In slow motion I could see what I was doing ... In a slow motion drill video I could see step-by-step and side-by-side to my swing what I needed to do to fix it ... here is the best part ... I can watch it over and over again ... Each time I watch it I pickup more of what Brian was saying ... I have been practicing my ass off, and will get check-up video in this weekend.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Everytime I try and implement something from Michel Breed, Martin Hall or Peter Kostis, it ends up hurting my progress and my instructor has to re-fix what I picked up from those guys. With that said if I was to do online lessons or recommend someone Id still say to go through The Golf Academy (lovely app I might add)

Everytime I try and implement something from Michel Breed, Martin Hall or Peter Kostis, it ends up hurting my progress and my instructor has to re-fix what I picked up from those guys. With that said if I was to do online lessons or recommend someone Id still say to go through The Golf Academy (lovely app I might add)

I agree with the Michel Breed and others ... Went down that road of despair ... However, the issue for me was self diagnoses my issue and prescribing a "fix" ... Not a good solution ... I am not a golf pro ... How can I self diagnoses? Evolvr is a pro (real person) that evaluates your swing via a video, then in great detail explains the fault via a video, suggest a drill also via video ... In my case a video of the correct swing side-by-side to my faulted swing IMHO self prescribing a fix is not the best plan ... Just like when I have a medical issue, I let a doctor prescribe the fix At least research Evolvr before you discount the option. :-)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I agree with the Michel Breed and others ... Went down that road of despair ... However, the issue for me was self diagnoses my issue and prescribing a "fix" ... Not a good solution ... I am not a golf pro ... How can I self diagnoses?

Evolvr is a pro (real person) that evaluates your swing via a video, then in great detail explains the fault via a video, suggest a drill also via video ... In my case a video of the correct swing side-by-side to my faulted swing

IMHO self prescribing a fix is not the best plan ... Just like when I have a medical issue, I let a doctor prescribe the fix

At least research Evolvr before you discount the option.

Not discounting Evolvr at all Im sure they are excellent at what they do and has helped many people and will continue too. Guess I worded my previous post wrong. The Golf Academy is more of a preference thing kinda like you sticking to the soda you grew up drinking or always ordering the same thing at a restaurant (if that makes any sense). They are the first people I started seriosuly paying attention too when I started to take things more seriously (Im 23 now guess that has alot to do with it lol). I did things that were natural to me in my swing and it sure didnt look like "golf swing" but I was a consistent ball striker. Ive been working with an instructor for a few months and for the most part "we" are changing everything that was "natural" to me to be more "mechanically sound". Im short like Rory so when Peter Kostis ( and others) say this is how a short guy gets his power Im all ears then I take that perfected tip to my lesson and my instructor says im "falling back into old habits." The only person whose tips actually "passed" were a few from Paul Azinger. Now I just emulate the people?thing he shows me on the side by side. The golf swing is definitely not something that can be self diagnosed (for most people) but when you know/feel what your doing wrong then maybe. Lots of times (when we are looking at my swing side by side) I tell my instructor what Im doing wrong before he can actually tell me (he is a PGA pro). I will definitely give Evolvr a try when Im out of town or probably when school starts, they clearly have a good reputation here. Thank you for the recommendation much appreciated! :beer:

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but newbies come along daily. And besides, old posts hold great information.

Evolve sounds great and I'm sure it would help me greatly. I'm just wondering what all it takes to get started?

I have an iPhone 6 that can film in slo mo , I have a Macbook Pro, so if I get the student version of the Analyzr software and sign up for the program is that all that is needed to get going?

(Evolvr, Analyzr, and LSW are all high on my Christmas list).

Also how do you pick an instructor if there are no instructors local? or is that automatic?

Would a PM to one of the leaders be a better way to get info?

Thank you

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

I know this is an old thread but newbies come along daily. And besides, old posts hold great information. Evolve sounds great and I'm sure it would help me greatly. I'm just wondering what all it takes to get started? I have an iPhone 6 that can film in slo mo , I have a Macbook Pro, so if I get the student version of the Analyzr software and sign up for the program is that all that is needed to get going? (Evolvr, Analyzr, and LSW are all high on my Christmas list). Also how do you pick an instructor if there are no instructors local? or is that automatic? Would a PM to one of the leaders be a better way to get info? Thank you

The iPhone and some sort of tripod or holder is ALL you need. You don't need any of the other stuff. Analyzer is only if you're interested in tracking your progress and - no pun intended - analyzing your swing in between lessons. The laptop is only really necessary for analyzer - you can upload to Evolvr straight from your phone. Hope that helps and good luck! Edit: LSW is definitely going to help though!

I know this is an old thread but newbies come along daily. And besides, old posts hold great information.

Evolve sounds great and I'm sure it would help me greatly. I'm just wondering what all it takes to get started?

I have an iPhone 6 that can film in slo mo , I have a Macbook Pro, so if I get the student version of the Analyzr software and sign up for the program is that all that is needed to get going?

(Evolvr, Analyzr, and LSW are all high on my Christmas list).

Also how do you pick an instructor if there are no instructors local? or is that automatic?

Would a PM to one of the leaders be a better way to get info?

Thank you

1. Go to http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/ and sign up for Evolvr.
  2. Film one swing DTL and one swing FO. Make sure you read this http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing so you can film properly, DTL in particular is very sensitive to camera position. Upload them to Evolvr.
  3. Instructor will be assigned based on who is available. You won't necessarily have the same instructor every time, but don't worry about that, they communicate very well with each other.
  4. Having Analyzr is a nice bonus because you will slowly learn how to analyze your own swing but it is not at all a requirement for Evolvr so you can wait on getting that or not get it at all. You'll probably get it anyway because you're obsessed like the rest of us!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I know this is an old thread but newbies come along daily. And besides, old posts hold great information. Evolve sounds great and I'm sure it would help me greatly. I'm just wondering what all it takes to get started? I have an iPhone 6 that can film in slo mo , I have a Macbook Pro, so if I get the student version of the Analyzr software and sign up for the program is that all that is needed to get going? (Evolvr, Analyzr, and LSW are all high on my Christmas list). Also how do you pick an instructor if there are no instructors local? or is that automatic? Would a PM to one of the leaders be a better way to get info? Thank you

All you need is a decent camera (the iPhone is more than good enough) and I'd suggest a tripod so the camera is stable and some what level. Once you submit a video you get a instructors basically at random. They all are good so who you get is kind of irrelevant. You do not need analzyer or LWS but they both are well worth the money.

Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!