IGNORED

Anybody get fitted at Dick's?

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a chance I get a little bonus at the end of the year and if I do, I'm thinking of getting new irons. There's a Dick's in town that has the launch moniter and offers club fitting.

Has anybody here used Dick's for this?

How was your experience?

How much did you pay and if you bought clubs there, was the fitting cost removed?

Anything specific I should be looking for or questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

There's a chance I get a little bonus at the end of the year and if I do, I'm thinking of getting new irons. There's a Dick's in town that has the launch moniter and offers club fitting.

Has anybody here used Dick's for this?

How was your experience?

How much did you pay and if you bought clubs there, was the fitting cost removed?

Anything specific I should be looking for or questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance.

I always buy my clubs from a pro, and I wouldn't buy irons from anybody unless they included the fitting.

Bill M

I recommend starting at Tom Wishon's web site (wishongolf.com) and read all the articles he has about custom fitting. You may still wind up going to Dick's, but you'll have more info and can determine which questions to ask and have an idea about what you need and where to go to get it.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

I recommend starting at Tom Wishon's web site (wishongolf.com) and read all the articles he has about custom fitting. You may still wind up going to Dick's, but you'll have more info and can determine which questions to ask and have an idea about what you need and where to go to get it.

I think this is great advice.  Do your research and read different articles on the web.  The more informed you are, but better the experience will be.

Thanks guys. I also have an Edwin Watts close by, do you think there's a drastic cost difference between the two? I'm assuming I would get a more professional experience at Watts.

Thanks guys. I also have an Edwin Watts close by, do you think there's a drastic cost difference between the two? I'm assuming I would get a more professional experience at Watts.

Regarding cost, I'd ask up front what the cost are.  The fitter that I use here in Newport has Trackman (indoors) and provides a free fitting - or at least did for me... And I bought the clubs from him.  From what I've gathered in speaking to others, is that most places will waive the fitting fee if you purchase the clubs through them.

Going to Dicks or Edwin Watts... I'm not sure which would be better.  The main thing is do some research online about the fitting process, and then you'll be well informed going into the fitting.  So you can talk 'shop' with the fitter and get the questions answered.  If you don't get the answer you're looking for with the fitter you work with... Don't hesitate to hold off on the purchase until you get the answer(s) you're looking for.

Here's a good link from Wishon's site: http://wishongolf.com/about-twgt/what-is-real-custom-clubfitting/

Thanks for the link. Of course, I now have more questions. It looks like wishongolf only sells their own clubs, am I correct in that assumption?

Another general questino is, I'd like to keep the experience under $500. Is it possible to accomplish this and still get well made clubs that are professionaly fitted?

I hate to ask so many stupid questions but I've been playing for 15 years and every club I've ever bought has been off the rack. If I do this, I want to do it once and get the most bang for my buck. Assuming of course I can get the wife to agree to it. :)

I wouldn't think the cost difference would be substantial, but I agree with Beachcomber and ask about all fees up front. Get details about just what they do for your money, if the cost of the fitting is credited toward a purchase, etc.

Who can tel regarding the fitting experience? Some retailers have guys who are pretty knowledgeable. Some are PGA members who are working there part time to supplement their income. Some are sales guys who have the minimum training and know just enough to be dangerous. Even going with a professional fitter can be hit or miss, but I think to a lesser degree than going to a big box retailer.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Quote:

Here's a good link from Wishon's site: http://wishongolf.com/about-twgt/what-is-real-custom-clubfitting/

Thanks for the link. Of course, I now have more questions. It looks like wishongolf only sells their own clubs, am I correct in that assumption?

Another general questino is, I'd like to keep the experience under $500. Is it possible to accomplish this and still get well made clubs that are professionaly fitted?

I hate to ask so many stupid questions but I've been playing for 15 years and every club I've ever bought has been off the rack. If I do this, I want to do it once and get the most bang for my buck. Assuming of course I can get the wife to agree to it. :)

Wishon makes their own components; I'm not sure if they make assembled clubs. They only sell to fitters, but from what I have heard it is fairly easy for an individual to get a fitting account.

$500 may be problematic, even if the fitting is free with purchase, as most off the rack OEM irons are more than that. For OEM clubs you might be looking at last years' models or the end-of-life for this years' clubs in a few months. Here you will be limited to what is remaining in the retail channel as opposed to custom length and/or lie adjustments, different shafts, etc.

Truly custom fit/built clubs, where the fitter procures the heads, shafts, grips that best fit your set up and swing, and assembles the clubs to your individual specs, would likely be more. A number of fitters can do this with OEM product as well as components like Wishon, KZG, Alpha, etc.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

I wouldn't think the cost difference would be substantial, but I agree with Beachcomber and ask about all fees up front. Get details about just what they do for your money, if the cost of the fitting is credited toward a purchase, etc.

Who can tel regarding the fitting experience? Some retailers have guys who are pretty knowledgeable. Some are PGA members who are working there part time to supplement their income. Some are sales guys who have the minimum training and know just enough to be dangerous. Even going with a professional fitter can be hit or miss, but I think to a lesser degree than going to a big box retailer.

The bolded part is what frightens me. I'm leaning more towards checking out Edwin Watts, at least golf is all they do. I appreciate all the advice guys.

Dick's web site

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=13086108&sr;=1&origkw;=golf%20club%20fitting

has the following price info:

FITTINGS
Iron Fitting (Free with Iron Set Purchase) ..................................... $49.99
Driver Fitting .............. $29.99
Putter Fitting .............. $19.99
Full Set Fitting ($49.99 Discount with Iron Set Purchase) ................ $79.99

Golf Galaxy has the same price for an iron fitting. I could not find fitting pricing on Edwin Watts web site.

• Like 1

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Wishon makes their own components; I'm not sure if they make assembled clubs. They only sell to fitters, but from what I have heard it is fairly easy for an individual to get a fitting account.

$500 may be problematic, even if the fitting is free with purchase, as most off the rack OEM irons are more than that. For OEM clubs you might be looking at last years' models or the end-of-life for this years' clubs in a few months. Here you will be limited to what is remaining in the retail channel as opposed to custom length and/or lie adjustments, different shafts, etc.

Truly custom fit/built clubs, where the fitter procures the heads, shafts, grips that best fit your set up and swing, and assembles the clubs to your individual specs, would likely be more. A number of fitters can do this with OEM product as well as components like Wishon, KZG, Alpha, etc.

I kinda thought a $500 budget wasn't practical. :(

If your handicap is really a 22 and you're not extra tall or extra short - I would just go with off the rack clubs.  Something with Regular or Uniflex shafts.  Something you could do in your price range is get a set of used Ping's - they are available in various lie angles and they have a chart that you can use to size yourself.  I bought myself a set of used Ping I5's that were 1 degree upright for around $300.  I also have a set of Callaway Big Berthas that are standard lie - and hit them just fine.  My height is 6'2", btw.

I know a lot of people promote the idea of getting fit from day 1.  I'm sure that's great if you can afford it - but I don't think you should feel like you *need* it.  I have played a lot and improved a lot with off the rack clubs and I am sure I will do a lot more of both before I go for a fitting.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

If your handicap is really a 22 and you're not extra tall or extra short - I would just go with off the rack clubs.  Something with Regular or Uniflex shafts.  Something you could do in your price range is get a set of used Ping's - they are available in various lie angles and they have a chart that you can use to size yourself.  I bought myself a set of used Ping I5's that were 1 degree upright for around $300.  I also have a set of Callaway Big Berthas that are standard lie - and hit them just fine.  My height is 6'2", btw.

I know a lot of people promote the idea of getting fit from day 1.  I'm sure that's great if you can afford it - but I don't think you should feel like you *need* it.  I have played a lot and improved a lot with off the rack clubs and I am sure I will do a lot more of both before I go for a fitting.

My HC is really a 22 and I'm a tad over 6'3''.

I went over to the local PGA Superstore at lunch today and inquired about the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system. I basically wanted to use the results to help narrow down shaft selection for my current clubs, but in the back of my mind I may want to get a set of JPX-800s or 825s. The salesman in the fitting area set me up with a JPX-825 head and a shaft and away we went.

While not a full-on club fitting, which can take 1-2 hours, it did an acceptable job of looking at my swing parameters and selecting a set of shafts, along with club length and lie angle, that seemed to work for me. No charge. I also hit some shots off of a lie board using heads with different lie angles and shafts of varying lengths to see which would work better for me.

I had to get back to work, otherwise I could have spent more time looking at shaft options and lengths (within the limits of what they have on the cart) and dialing them in based on the simulator responses (not sure what system they use). The salesman seemed reasonably knowledgeable (at least he wasn't trying to blow smoke) and he gave me the fitting sheet with the Mizuno results and the impact stickers (face and lie angle) from my test hits.

I would recommend the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system and fitting cart as a decent starting point for club selection (especially with a reasonably trained operator). All the better if you can get to use it at an outdoor facility to look at real ball flight. It will give you a good start as to type of club and shafts to look at, even if you are not looking to buy Mizuno.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!