IGNORED

How long has it taken you to groove a swing change?

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3-4 months. Then winter comes, I forget it all, and start again in the spring.....my range session the other day was abysmal.

There is no way I am hitting it as a normal 8 handicap would. I think maybe an 18

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

No thing such as muscle memory. So called reflex training has it backwards. 3 weeks is the time it takes for the brain to solidify the neural net and around 3 months more to make it habit. that is the average process time it takes and it can be done faster and slower depending on who and what change and what practice pattern. If you try to change current mechanics then it will be like Tiger woods that after 3 years dont have it down with the so called next generation swing. Its always the brain that is changing and altering not the muscle memory.

That's an unbelievable blanket statement.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure about how long it takes for the brain to develop "Reflex Training". A lot of times strength gains in the gym are not from building muscle but from your mind memorizing the movements, and honing the simpliest way to get the job done. This happens pretty quickly though. But those are simple movements.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kieran123

3-4 months. Then winter comes, I forget it all, and start again in the spring.....my range session the other day was abysmal.

There is no way I am hitting it as a normal 8 handicap would. I think maybe an 18

Same here.  What region are you in?  I don't really have an excuse for forgetting it all since I live in Cali, but I've only broken 90 once so far this season in 5 rounds (89) and I'm playing more like an 21 than an 11.  I still have about 8 rounds more to play before my low scores start falling off my handicap, so I'm hoping to get it together soon!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Same here.  What region are you in?  I don't really have an excuse for forgetting it all since I live in Cali, but I've only broken 90 once so far this season in 5 rounds (89) and I'm playing more like an 21 than an 11.  I still have about 8 rounds more to play before my low scores start falling off my handicap, so I'm hoping to get it together soon!

Calgary, Alberta.

I shanked 15-20 balls and was getting so far under my wedges I was hitting a full 54* only 70 yards.

Everything was going right. I was hitting at a flag and had to aim around 25 yards left to get it close lol

I have developed a severe over the top move somehow doing nothing all winter.

Oh well - means more range time I guess.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Calgary, Alberta.

I shanked 15-20 balls and was getting so far under my wedges I was hitting a full 54* only 70 yards.

Everything was going right. I was hitting at a flag and had to aim around 25 yards left to get it close lol

I have developed a severe over the top move somehow doing nothing all winter.

Oh well - means more range time I guess.

Same here.  Everything was over-the-top.  Had to spend the last two weeks training myself to get my hips to move first.

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Had a lesson yesterday, got two things to work on from my coach - longer back swing and quieter bottom half. After probably 5 hours hitting balls on the range, I'm almost there. School holidays, so got two weeks of golf, maybe 6 hours a day. Normally it takes about 3 months, but I hope to have this sorted by the end of the holidays.

Many variables go into it. Depends on the type of change and how often you can get out to work on it. After a year and a half i finally feel pretty good with my swing. I worked almost everyday on it. I also "revamped" my swing and rebuilt it from the ground up.

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Over the past couple weeks I've put a few things together that have drastically improved my ball striking: still/steady head, focussing on "staying down" through impact, and clearing my hips on the downswing. The biggest improvement has come from the steady head; I didn't realize I was dipping into the ball on my backswing, and went from hitting 50% of all shots (on the range and on the course) fat to hitting no more than 20% fat, on a bad day. It's only been a week or so I expect this o improve.

My question is how long, in your experiences, it's taken for changes like this become grooved or engrained in your muscle memory? I played this morning and focused on keepingy head still, but topped a few balls and hooked most of the ones I hit crisp. Wasn't until after the round I realized I was raising up and not firings hips through the ball, hence the topped shots and hooks.

I know it takes a while, probably months if not years. Curious about everyone else's thoughts.

The last one took about 2 buckets of balls on the range.  Yes, I'm serious.  YRMV

Note: This thread is 4039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!