IGNORED

Can we stop using "a6 and p3 and l34.75"

logman
Note: This thread is 4175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

But its fine, i don't mind learning something new. This whole idea, "Well this is the way i think about it i shouldn't have to learn something new," is a bit selfish i think. These guys put a lot of effort into this website and methods to help a lot of people play golf better. I think in the learning process of a new swing you could try to learn there terminology.

And to be clear, we didn't invent the numbers or when/where they occur. They've been around for decades.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And to be fair we usually only use it with people that know the terms.  If I do use it, I'll usually define it.  They are not necessary to improving your game but make communication easier.  It's really not that complicated anyhow.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

You need to find an LPG site as you quite clearly have a hard-on for anyone who is too ignorant to be using LPG. I personally don't follow much of the P and A discussions simply because the mechanical approach doesn't work well for me, but, TO EACH HIS OWN, even LPG is fine in my books. Whatever -  do what you like, but don't get all pissy just because the world (or this site) isn't catering to your personal POV.

So you don't hinge your wrist, weird but go right ahead.

Ernie, I can assure you I don't have a hard-on for anything or anyone on this site...Haha

It's not that I feel pissy about how I or any individual fits in to the golf swing terminology......it's that the terminology should be based in a form that any old golfer could read and go...4 o'clock....ah yeah I understand that....as opposed to A6 Huh!

Also in response to Erik: the clock is an easily recognised symbol, with an infinite number of fine divisions that I would have thought we're more advantageous to coaching.

* The A1-10 system isn't a positional system whereby I could describe to someone problems I might be having at certain points in the arc of the swing. As I said before, my upper arm never gets to horizontal.....so in your system I have NO A3. Surely the Idea of system to describe to others where your swing is at a certain point. It would be advantageous if that system was universal.

So it's not a positional system, it's a coaching tool to teach golfer to adopt positions in the golf swing. But it's not any or all golf swings.....it's the conventional golf swing.

Also Erik your defence of the A1-A10 system reminded me very much of Nigel Tufnels explanation of his Marshall amplifier in the movie Spinal Tap.

"These amps go up to eleven"

Why don't you make 11 into 10?

"........because these ones go up to eleven!!"

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by logman

It's not that I feel pissy about how I or any individual fits in to the golf swing terminology......it's that the terminology should be based in a form that any old golfer could read and go...4 o'clock....ah yeah I understand that....as opposed to A6 Huh!

People already pointed out issues with your 4 o'clock example, not the least of which is that it would be different for a lefty and a righty, would require you to say during which part of the swing the shaft is pointing at 4 o'clock (backswing/downswing/follow-through) and is unclear on which part of the club is pointing at 4 o'clock (the butt or the head of the club?).

Originally Posted by logman

Also in response to Erik: the clock is an easily recognised symbol, with an infinite number of fine divisions that I would have thought we're more advantageous to coaching.

Yet it's confusing (three examples above), and A1-A10 has an infinite number of fine divisions too.

As I said before, my upper arm never gets to horizontal.....so in your system I have NO A3. Surely the Idea of system to describe to others where your swing is at a certain point. It would be advantageous if that system was universal.

So you don't have an A3... big deal. Just skip the number or call the spot halfway between your A2 and your A4 your A3. Or, more likely, just ignore the system. Nobody's forcing you to use it, but you're asking that people use a worse system that involves a clock and has its own bigger set of issues.

So it's not a positional system, it's a coaching tool to teach golfer to adopt positions in the golf swing. But it's not any or all golf swings.....it's the conventional golf swing.

Nope. It's not a "positional system" that's right. It's not a "coaching tool." It's shorthand. That's it: it's a widely used shorthand to quickly and easily refer to a spot in the swing.

Also Erik your defence of the A1-A10 system reminded me very much of Nigel Tufnels explanation of his Marshall amplifier in the movie Spinal Tap.

If you say so. But as is typical with you, you don't actually address the things people raise, you just keep going on and making fun and ignoring the holes people poke in your position.

Post a video of your swing sometime.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!