IGNORED

Golfing Machine says "Shame" on Jim McLean

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The author of the blog, Joe Daniels, didn't get it right either, Homer Kelley stated that the ball leaves at PRACTICALLY right angles to the club face.  Doesn't mean 100%.  From my understanding the statement from Homer in the First Edition Golfing Machine book was just one sentence or a very small part of a section.  I also get the feeling Homer understood that his book was just the beginning and the information would continue to evolve.

Anyway, thought the Blog was interesting

Jim McLean claims credit for discovery, but called to the carpet

By Joe Daniels, MS, PGA,GSED

In a recent article produced by the Jim McLean golf information factory he is quoted as being responsible for detecting that the clubface is more important than the clubhead in determining the direction of a golf shot. McLean states that he was one of the first golf instructors to declare that Face Angle was far more important than Club Path in determining Launch Direction. TrackMan, a launch monitor, has since then proven McLean´s theory right. McLean is taking credit for this find when in 1969’s first edition of The Golfing Machine, the book’s author, Mr. Homer Kelley, states: “The direction of the ball will always be square (90 degrees sic) to the leading edge of the Clubface at separation…”

Now we know that McLean visited Mr. Kelley because he stated so in his book about Mr. Hogan. Therefore, logic states that Mr. Kelley led McLean on a journey of mental discovery, which McLean has chosen to forget so he can take credit for and put himself in the limelight of being an intellectual in the field of golf.

Considering McLean’s disrespect for Mr. Kelley which is evident in his book on Mr. Hogan I do not believe him to be a threat to anyone’s intellect. This is evident with the facts of the X factor, the teaching philosophy he popularized, or is it now the Y factor? Is he running out of alphabetical letters to create any more articles or a theoretical concepts?

Yes, Jim some of us watch and listen and give due respect to those who came before us. Mr. Kelley in 1969 stated how the ball reacted off the clubface, yet you are now taking credit for finding this phenomenon. Shame, shame, shame!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't have a dog in this particular fight, but would like to note that I have a 1937 book I got from my Dad that had it right, too.

--

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator

Love that old book. If you can send some higher-res photos Andrew, I'll take 'em! :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awesome stretch. What book is that. I loved the first page completely.

as to McClean, I don't know what his marketing guys are telling him to do, but there are lots of other guys in the industry who are not happy with him about it. tut tut

Pg 171 middle: cure: obvious. Love the bluntness.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The book is "Golf: By Henry Longhurst". Part of the Modern Sports Series, edited by Howard Marshall. Published by J.M. Dent and Sons Ltd, first printing 1937, reprinted 1943.

It's full of the most marvelous pictures, too, like this one of Henry Cotton at impact with a hickory:

Or this one of Lawson Little "about to propel the ball upwards of 300 yards."

Or this comparison of Bobby Jones and Tommy Armour, where one cannot help but be struck by the manner in which they have both chosen to set their feet, can one MVMAC?

TLDR: Oldie, but goodie.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Or this comparison of Bobby Jones and Tommy Armour, where one cannot help but be struck by the manner in which they have both chosen to set their feet, can one MVMAC?

Must be the camera angle Thanks for the awesome pics, I'll be Tweeting this stuff throughout the week

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

Back on-topic(!), that's a fairly breathtaking claim by JM. It would have been nice, and normal, for the blog to link to the offending article. Anyone able to post a link?

Couldn't find the article.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Couldn't find the article.

Fair enough, going on that video. No?

He doesn't, as Joe Daniels states, claim credit for having "discovered" anything. He does say he's been teaching this for years - and there would seem to be some support for that.

As for: "Now we know that McLean visited Mr. Kelley because he stated so in his book about Mr. Hogan. Therefore, logic states that Mr. Kelley led McLean on a journey of mental discovery, which McLean has chosen to forget so he can take credit for and put himself in the limelight of being an intellectual in the field of golf."

and "Considering McLean’s disrespect for Mr. Kelley which is evident in his book on Mr. Hogan I do not believe him to be a threat to anyone’s intellect."

JMO, but I'm finding Mr Daniel's "logic" a little hard to follow.

Originally Posted by Etzwane

I remember a video where McLean was criticizing The Golfing Machine....

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

Fair enough, going on that video. No?

He doesn't, as Joe Daniels states, claim credit for having "discovered" anything. He does say he's been teaching this for years - and there would seem to be some support for that.

Yeah I don't know what article Daniels is talking about, I remember this Tweet from early Sep, but that's after Daniel's blog post.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Thank you, for some reason I could not find it yesterday. I can imagine the Joe Daniel being irritated after this video that misrepresent what the book is.

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

Back on-topic(!), that's a fairly breathtaking claim by JM. It would have been nice, and normal, for the blog to link to the offending article. Anyone able to post a link?

Per Twitter... Jim McLean just posted this:

Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!