IGNORED

Plane on a Conveyor Belt

iacas
Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(See the first question) Can the plane take off?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. (See the first question) Can the plane take off?

• No
    • Yes

Hey Eric you are bang out of order, those references about cows aint funny the way you put them, you do not know me and yet you try to mock me. All you have really done is expose a darker side of yourself which may put prospective clients off. clever move!!!  It is not easy exposing ones inability to get a concept easily but i aint afraid to learn the hard way and have fun with it. But you were not funny wee man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by the chopper

are you trying to isult me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No.

Originally Posted by the chopper

Hey Eric you are bang out of order, those references about cows aint funny the way you put them, you do not know me and yet you try to mock me. All you have really done is expose a darker side of yourself which may put prospective clients off. clever move!!!  It is not easy exposing ones inability to get a concept easily but i aint afraid to learn the hard way and have fun with it. But you were not funny wee man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is Eric? Gosh he seems to have ticked you off...

Did you not see the funny video clip from City Slickers? It was funny.

Edit: And the chopper can spend a week in timeout for making threats and a few other silly things. Oy. I re-read what I wrote, removed the part about how he was doing a fine job of insulting himself (it doesn't really make sense, but I meant it as "he's doing a fine job of making himself look bad by refusing to accept the truth"), and added a bit pointing out specifically what I thought was funny. Oy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...

This gets my vote as the buggiest of all topics.

My answer to the question shows (incompletely) in the headings of "New Content" and in the homepage sidebar - but not in the topic (neither the 2 page, the 3 page, nor the 5 page version).

Here we go again...

Air speed over the wings (airfoil) is what creates lift. Neither a prop nor jet engine can produce enough air movement over the entire surface of the airfoil to produce consistent lift sufficient to lift the aircraft, let alone sustain such.

Neither thrust nor wheel speed have any bearing (both cancelled by the conveyor). Only the speed of the airfoil through the air mass can create lift.

The airfoil is relatively stationary. The air mass is relatively stationary. The aircraft is on the ground simply because there is not enough movement of air mass through the airfoil.

Simple "hillbilly" aerodynamics! :-P

And to think that there are "educated and certified" engineers on this forum... :doh:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

This gets my vote as the buggiest of all topics.

My answer to the question shows (incompletely) in the headings of "New Content" and in the homepage sidebar - but not in the topic (neither the 2 page, the 3 page, nor the 5 page version).

Here we go again...

Air speed over the wings (airfoil) is what creates lift. Neither a prop nor jet engine can produce enough air movement over the entire surface of the airfoil to produce consistent lift sufficient to lift the aircraft, let alone sustain such.

Neither thrust nor wheel speed have any bearing (both cancelled by the conveyor). Only the speed of the airfoil through the air mass can create lift.

The airfoil is relatively stationary. The air mass is relatively stationary. The aircraft is on the ground simply because there is not enough movement of air mass through the airfoil.

Simple "hillbilly" aerodynamics! :-P

And to think that there are "educated and certified" engineers on this forum... :doh:

Thrust is not cancelled by the conveyor, it isn't affected at all. And wheel speed is doubled.  There's no drivetrain on an airplane, so the affect of the conveyor on the planes motion is zero.

(And I won't laugh at or mock anybody in this thread, btw, because if you go back to the first page or so, you'll see my original answer was wrong too :))

Air mass in front of the airfoil is not affected significantly by thrust.

One cannot produce enough thrust either by a propeller on the wing, or by a jet engine below the wing to move the airfoil through the air mass (or the air mass through the air foil) to lift the aircraft unless the entire aircraft is moving at a sufficient speed through the air mass.

Can you thrust the entire mass of the aircraft instantaneously to the required 18 meters per second (or whatever is required by the weight of the aircraft and the efficiency of the airfoil) without structural (let alone human) damage?

If so, you have superceded Newton!

Edited by CR McDivot

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Can you thrust the entire mass of the aircraft instantaneously to the required 18 meters per second (or whatever is required by the weight of the aircraft and the efficiency of the airfoil) without structural (let alone human) damage?

Instantaneously has nothing to do with it.

The thrust provided by the engine(s) moves the aircraft, wings and all, through the air, producing lift. This happens thousands (at least) of times each day. As GD said above, the thrust isn't canceled by the conveyor belt.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Ahh, I see!

The aircraft moves forward on the infinite length conveyor while still firmly on the "ground" and accelerates relative to the actual ground (and the air mass) to lift off speed.

Where upon the the aircraft's tires blow from over speeding requiring a belly landing at the destination.

Trick question, and a good one!

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Ahh, I see!

The aircraft moves forward on the infinite length conveyor while still firmly on the "ground" and accelerates relative to the actual ground (and the air mass) to lift off speed.

Where upon the the aircraft's tires blow from over speeding requiring a belly landing at the destination.

Trick question, and a good one!

If not the tires, then the wheel bearings might just catch fire. :-P

My assumption :8)(and it was a poor one) was that the aircraft would remain stationary relative to the actual ground, rather than overcoming the rather slight resistance of the rolling wheels against the conveyor.

Still bet the landing gear would give out before lift off.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator

My assumption :8)(and it was a poor one) was that the aircraft would remain stationary relative to the actual ground, rather than overcoming the rather slight resistance of the rolling wheels against the conveyor.

Still bet the landing gear would give out before lift off.

The wheels would only be spinning twice as fast so I doubt they'd have any problem. Heck, some planes take off at only 25 MPH.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

off topic question -

lets say i can throw a baseball fifty miles an hour (i can actually throw one a lot faster than that...probably over a mountain, but lets keep the maths simple).  and lets say im standing in the bed of a truck going 50 MPH.  if i throw the ball in the direction of travel, will i be able to throw it 100 MPH?  at least for the initial velocity? how fast can i throw it if i throw in the opposite direction that the truck is driving?

Colin P.

• Administrator

Yes*. Yes*. 0 MPH.

* I am ignoring the small amount of added air friction on your body and arm.

(edited)

off topic question -

lets say i can throw a baseball fifty miles an hour (i can actually throw one a lot faster than that...probably over a mountain, but lets keep the maths simple).  and lets say im standing in the bed of a truck going 50 MPH.  if i throw the ball in the direction of travel, will i be able to throw it 100 MPH?  at least for the initial velocity? how fast can i throw it if i throw in the opposite direction that the truck is driving?

Same question but with a flashlight! You are moving very fast, let's say 10,000 mph. You turn on the flashlight and point it forward. How fast does the light leave the flashlight?

Note: you must understand relativity!

Edited by boogielicious

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Same question but with a flashlight! Note: you must understand relativity!

The flashlight will also go 0 mph if you throw it off the back of the truck, haha. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Same question but with a flashlight! You are moving very fast, let's say 10,000 mph. You turn on the flashlight and point it forward. How fast does the light leave the flashlight?

Note: you must understand relativity!

It leaves the flashlight at the speed of light, as the light is leaving relative to the object (the flashlight).

I will go and duck in a corner now as I am sure I am wrong on this one.  I'm a finance guy not a physicist!!!

Remember that light from a flashlight only travels at 80% of the speed of light, due to interference from the impurities in the glass used to make the bulb and the limitations of contemporary batteries. 

This is why telescopes cannot see far beyond our own solar system.

sddefault.jpg

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Remember that light from a flashlight only travels at 80% of the speed of light, due to interference from the impurities in the glass used to make the bulb and the limitations of contemporary batteries. 

sddefault.jpg

The question was not fair! Damn your trickeries!!!! :)

• Administrator

Uhhhh…

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!