IGNORED

TOUR PRO's play fades with irons

bjoern2796
Note: This thread is 3989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by luu5

Tight=slight? My English sure needs brushing.

Ok then, for the record slight curve, pros generally don't curve the ball more than 3-5 yards

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes draw is the preferred shot. Someone hitting into a green with a false front can defeat the front by hitting a draw that releases forward a little. Mark O'Meara did this on No. 9 at Augusta the year he won the Masters. Faders sometimes hit the front with backspin, and roll backwards off the green and back down the fairway.

On the occasional birdie I get, it normally comes when I hit a draw back against a left-to-right crosswind.

Next May, the Senior PGA will go to Bellerive CC in St. Louis. Hole No. 14 is a tight par 4 that plays at about 381 yds., slight dogleg left. The fairway gets narrower the closer you get to the green. The green is on a diagonal from right to left - ideal for a slight draw - but lots of right-handers will try to hit a cut shot in there, and spin off onto the fringe.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Tight in the sense that it stays close (tight) to the target line, slight in the sense that it has just a little bit (slight) movement.

Ok, now I understand. I was thinking tight mountain road corners which deviate tangent sharply (and by large degree).

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I would think that most all players (save for maybe bubba) hit the ball, for all intents and purposes, STRAIGHT from 120.

So what you're saying is... I shouldn't play that 10 yard ' draw ' with my pitching wedge?  Who knew!?!

Um yeah, in all of the pro tournaments I have been to I have never once seen an overtly shaped PW or SW shot. I know I can't shape my wedges - too much loft.

dak4n6

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted by bjoern2796

Yes I know that Rory and Luke play a draw as their natural shot shape. But almost all of the 10 players will fade a ball from 120 yards. Rory aligns his feet like a shot that is going 6 yards or so left of the flag. But his Clubface points to the target. And he plays a fade !!! Yes his natural shot shape is a draw but he plays a fade with the wedges and most irons.

Shape the player is going to hit is often dependent upon wind and lie. If the ball is above you feet (hook lie) you're gonna want to go with it and hit the draw. Don't see how you could still hit a fade with the ball lying well above your feet.  Below your feet, probably better go with the fade. Not many level lies in the fairway on the PGA Tour. I would imagine if you're on the right side of the fairway you might choose a fade approach shot and on the left side, a draw. But I guess for consistency sake the player will go with his stock shot most of the time. If water is on the left then a fade might be the safe shape. Water right, hit the draw. Avoid the big number. Pro Golf.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cutshot878

Shape the player is going to hit is often dependent upon wind and lie. If the ball is above you feet (hook lie) you're gonna want to go with it and hit the draw. Don't see how you could still hit a fade with the ball lying well above your feet.  Below your feet, probably better go with the fade. Not many level lies in the fairway on the PGA Tour. I would imagine if you're on the right side of the fairway you might choose a fade approach shot and on the left side, a draw. But I guess for consistency sake the player will go with his stock shot most of the time. If water is on the left then a fade might be the safe shape. Water right, hit the draw. Avoid the big number. Pro Golf.

You make the path go farther left than the face is pointing. It's not that difficult. Especially if you point the face right a little to compensate for the side slope.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3989 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!