IGNORED

Give me a reason not to sell my UW that came with my Ping set

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A gap-wedge/utility-wedge....or whatever you want to call it, should be one of the most used "scoring clubs' in the bag.   What do you do....try to hit little quarter swing chippy pitching wedges when you should be making a nice comfortable swing with a gap?  I'm actually a little dumbfounded and confused by this post......

I think you are going down the wrong path........you score with the wedges.  Whether it's full shots or chips/pitches/bunker shots from around the greens, I use all 4 of my wedges more than any other clubs in my bag except for the putter.    You want to trade one away for a hybrid?   Really?.....WOW

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Getting a UW or Gap wedge was the best thing I ever did, it gives me so much more versatility on the short game and takes out the grip down shot I used to have to play with the PW.  Now I take a full swing with the gap and have the right club for the distance. Also good when you want a sand shot to fly a little further than the SW.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I couldn't imagine playing without my GW. I have Ping Eye3 irons. The PW is 48 degrees & the SW is 56. That's an 8 degree, ahem, 'gap' between them. I hit my PW 120 & my SW 80. The GW is perfect for me from 100.

And yes, I understand 'creativity' as a previous poster said. That's how I hit the ball 110, 90 & 70. Anything less than 70 is partial SW swings - 40 is half SW, 60 a 3/4 SW & s on.

I would carry a LW as well if I could figure out which club to take out of my bag. Most likely my 4i.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

A gap-wedge/utility-wedge....or whatever you want to call it, should be one of the most used "scoring clubs' in the bag.   What do you do....try to hit little quarter swing chippy pitching wedges when you should be making a nice comfortable swing with a gap?  I'm actually a little dumbfounded and confused by this post......

I think you are going down the wrong path........you score with the wedges.  Whether it's full shots or chips/pitches/bunker shots from around the greens, I use all 4 of my wedges more than any other clubs in my bag except for the putter.    You want to trade one away for a hybrid?   Really?.....WOW

No, I want to replace my hybrid with a 3 iron. The choice to sell was based on lack of use and to cushion the blow of the cost of a new 3 iron.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

No, I want to replace my hybrid with a 3 iron. The choice to sell was based on lack of use and to cushion the blow of the cost of a new 3 iron.

Well I got a 3 iron off of ebay. An I15 so selling at least the hybrid.

yeah, i use my PW for almost everything between 60 and 125 yards.  3 iron is very useful to me as well, its what i use for punch shots out from under the trees that im always in.

Colin P.

depends - if you like hitting FULL wedges, there's plenty of reason to keep a gap wedge to dial in your wedge distances.    I like a 3i off the tee for long par 3's, for low liners out from under trees & choke up on it from the fairway, so it works for me too.    I have dropped my 4 iron, as a choked down 3i gives me the same end result...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I have a pretty good idea what distances are from each of my clubs. The 120 yard club is my CDHS PW which is right at 120. If I keep the UW, I would imagine it would be 127 FS. I will have to see what the 3 iron plays like before I pull anything else.

Note: This thread is 4159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!