IGNORED

Which golf balls do you use?

Note: This thread is 3444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@NJpatbee

Well, again have fun with it. But I have a little hesitancy when an 18hcp with an inconsistent swing uses the phrase "half a club" especially when referring to a golfballs effect. Fun. Flair. Done.

Believe it or not I tend to hit most most of my irons fairly consistently - it is the one or two clunkers, usually fat shots, that I believe make me inconsistent with some of my irons.  The difference with my chosen ball is about 5 yards longer than the others I tried with my irons (all short irons, at 63 I have switched to hybrids for the 2i-6i).  I probably should not have said "half a club" if it implied that I can easily back off a club to exactly 5 yards less - it will be shorter but I do not have that amount of control.  But it is true that I was flying greens with the U/3 on a regular basis using the same club I normally use with a Gamer or NXT.

I think there may be a misconception by some low handicappers that "bogey golfers" shoot bogey on most of their holes.  For some of us, we will usually have several pars, perhaps a birdie, a number of bogies, and probably a couple of doubles and a triple caused by one bad swing (usually a drive) on those holes.  We all have different swings and levels of ability, but I do believe searching for a ball that is compatible with my swing is a worthwhile endeavor  - and it is also fun.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This season I've been using Bridgestone 330RXs, which was suggested by their online ball selector.  They work pretty well.   Last year I tried out their E6, but they seemed a bit hard around the green.

But I was low on balls the other day, so I was playing a Titleist Velocity that I found on the course.  Man, that thing flew.  It chipped and putted like a rock, but I could drive that thing a long way.  Should I switch to a distance ball?

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I played with a ball rep once that told me you'll never really score by playing a hard ball. There are quite a few pros that would like to drive the ball as far as Rory, but they still use the tour quality ball. No Titleist Velocity's on the tour. You need to be able to hit greens and stop the ball. Either that be a really, really good chipper.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I will go out on a limb and say that most golfers don't know how to stop the ball or make it back up on the green. An amateurs best option is to come into the green on a high trajectory and have it stop that way. a very difficult shot for me, & I would suspect most amateurs, is lobbing over a bunker and getting it to stop quickly, it's just too hard for most amateur golfers. altitude is their best option.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I will go out on a limb and say that most golfers don't know how to stop the ball or make it back up on the green. An amateurs best option is to come into the green on a high trajectory and have it stop that way. a very difficult shot for me, & I would suspect most amateurs, is lobbing over a bunker and getting it to stop quickly, it's just too hard for most amateur golfers. altitude is their best option.

Your description of most golfers certainly fits me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I certainly do not intentionally stop the ball (sometimes a Prov1 may stop) on a dime and actually expect and want a few (4-8)  feet of roll.  I wish I had the height and length to "drop and stop" but I do not.  My approach shots are not line drives but certainly lower than average, typically landing short of the pin and rolling out.  I have found that some of the mid-tier urethene balls such as the U/3 or Gamer Tour will hit a narrow green without a lot of loft yet still stay on the green after rolling a much shorter distance than expected.  At age 62 some of the new urethene and softer ionomer (e.g. NXT Tour) covers have been a big boost to my approach game.

I play a more piercing shot myself. I get a lot of spin but don't usually back the ball up much. It stops within a few feet of my ball mark. The lower trajectory really improves the path my ball takes. Wind doesn't affect it as much either. Play a soft cover ball and hit a lower traj shot and you'll hit more greens.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I certainly do not intentionally stop the ball (sometimes a Prov1 may stop) on a dime and actually expect and want a few (4-8)  feet of roll.  I wish I had the height and length to "drop and stop" but I do not.  My approach shots are not line drives but certainly lower than average, typically landing short of the pin and rolling out.  I have found that some of the mid-tier urethene balls such as the U/3 or Gamer Tour will hit a narrow green without a lot of loft yet still stay on the green after rolling a much shorter distance than expected.  At age 62 some of the new urethene and softer ionomer (e.g. NXT Tour) covers have been a big boost to my approach game.

A question about the Gamer Tour, if I may.  I have been using the Gamer since before Dick's bought them out.  I've thought about the Tour because  little more spin and a little better feel around the green would be nice.

So my question is, how does the Gamer Tour compare with the regular Gamer on full shots.  Are the distances comparable?  Is the Tour version more subject to curving from spin than the regular version?  How do the 2 balls compare in putting feel?

Rich - in name only

I usually switch back n forth between NXT / NXT s, and u/3's.... i do tend to find myself going back to the u/3 after a couple of holes... i do feel as though for the price the u/3s perform better and are a better buy for the price... jmo, I think the u/3s is a good in between, where the ball isn't a rock, but isn't going to be a spin monster like a ProV1... so you still get plenty of distance and a bit of spin too..

It is what it is

A question about the Gamer Tour, if I may.  I have been using the Gamer since before Dick's bought them out.  I've thought about the Tour because  little more spin and a little better feel around the green would be nice.

So my question is, how does the Gamer Tour compare with the regular Gamer on full shots.  Are the distances comparable?  Is the Tour version more subject to curving from spin than the regular version?  How do the 2 balls compare in putting feel?

The Gamer Tour is somewhat shorter (just a few yards) with the driver but just as straight - I do not worry about a fade wanting to be a slice.  Hybrids and iron approach shot distances are similar but the Gamer Tour will hold the green better.  I prefer the Tour urethene version for putting which is slightly softer, and short pitches and chips are more controllable with the Tour version.  However, as you know the Gamer is no slouch in any of these areas.  I compare the Gamer to an NXT Tour, and the Gamer Tour to an NXT Tour if it had a urethene cover. The Gamer Tour does not spin like a Prov or I would never have used it.  Some golfers have complained about the durability of the Gamer Tour cover but for my game it was never a problem.

The Gamer Soft is also an excellent 3 piece ball about as long as the Gamer but with a soft touch if that is what you want.  The Maxfli U/3, also owned by Dicks is longer for me than the Gamer (or any other ball I have tried), but does not have quite the stopping power on the green compared to the Gamer Tour.  I would gladly play any of the Gamer series but the extra distance of the U/3 has helped me out this season.

As a point of reference I have a 90mph Driver SS and celebrate with a scotch and cigar when I shoot in the 80's (OK, after every round) so your results may vary!

The Gamer Tour is somewhat shorter (just a few yards) with the driver but just as straight - I do not worry about a fade wanting to be a slice.  Hybrids and iron approach shot distances are similar but the Gamer Tour will hold the green better.  I prefer the Tour urethene version for putting which is slightly softer, and short pitches and chips are more controllable with the Tour version.  However, as you know the Gamer is no slouch in any of these areas.  I compare the Gamer to an NXT Tour, and the Gamer Tour to an NXT Tour if it had a urethene cover. The Gamer Tour does not spin like a Prov or I would never have used it.  Some golfers have complained about the durability of the Gamer Tour cover but for my game it was never a problem.

The Gamer Soft is also an excellent 3 piece ball about as long as the Gamer but with a soft touch if that is what you want.  The Maxfli U/3, also owned by Dicks is longer for me than the Gamer (or any other ball I have tried), but does not have quite the stopping power on the green compared to the Gamer Tour.  I would gladly play any of the Gamer series but the extra distance of the U/3 has helped me out this season.

As a point of reference I have a 90mph Driver SS and celebrate with a scotch and cigar when I shoot in the 80's (OK, after every round) so your results may vary!

Super response, I really appreciate it.  I was thinking about the Tour because I have been playing with my first "Dick's" version of the ball and it just seems a little bit harder with less feel on and around the putting green.  It is probably all in my mind because I have been playing in a new area on a new course (to me) and have been floundering with my speed on long putts.  The funny thing is that I feel like I am putting better on the short and intermediate ones, but if I am more than 30 feet away . . . .

Rich - in name only

Super response, I really appreciate it.  I was thinking about the Tour because I have been playing with my first "Dick's" version of the ball and it just seems a little bit harder with less feel on and around the putting green.  It is probably all in my mind because I have been playing in a new area on a new course (to me) and have been floundering with my speed on long putts.  The funny thing is that I feel like I am putting better on the short and intermediate ones, but if I am more than 30 feet away . . . .

I bet if you erased the TF logo and inserted the Titlest ProV logo, many would not know the difference. Not that the Titlest isn't a better ball, ball most people don't have the skills to tell the difference. They think they do, but they don't.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Just bought 60 Penta TP3 from Knetgolf. Grade A recycled. Figure it's time to upgrade from the DT Solos I've been playing the past two seasons. Looking forward to see how the urethane cover impacts my short game.

Paid $7.50/dz

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just bought 60 Penta TP3 from Knetgolf. Grade A recycled. Figure it's time to upgrade from the DT Solos I've been playing the past two seasons. Looking forward to see how the urethane cover impacts my short game.

Paid $7.50/dz

UPS truck just pulled up - I was a little disappointed that it wasn't Lee Westwood - and dropped off my Pentas. Just the sound they make rubbing against each other in the net bag tells me that they're gonna feel miles better than my DT Solos.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!