IGNORED

MJ banned from Miami Club for Cargo Shorts

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I was thinking the same thing, it had to be more than just cargo shorts.  Maybe he plays in a large loud group or causes a gallery to form when he plays that has caused issues with the other members in the past.

It just doesn't make sense that they'd wait to the 12th hole to tell him to change, knowing that he and most would decline to stop in the middle of their round to go to the locker room and change (assuming he even had something to change into).

Im thinking the Club President was a Heat season ticket holder and was there all the times the Bulls made easy work of the Heat in the playoffs.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I don't have a problem with cargo shorts but I wouldn't wear those. Mostly because it's a young guy look, the big and baggy wanksta thing. Just doesn't look right on a middle aged millionaire.

You're a middle aged millionaire?

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

You're a middle aged millionaire?

Sort of if you consider 44 middle aged. I am a partner in a company with accounts receivable of more than 1.5 million. Most of it funded with our own money.

Dave :-)

Will the USGA define what cargo shorts are anytime soon?

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Will the USGA define what cargo shorts are anytime soon?

I just laughed out loud in my cubicle.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

When you go out to a "nice" restaurant, not a fast-food joint, what do you wear?  Do you think a dirty T-shirt and baggy jeans are suitable? If so, would you be surprised that other patrons might be a little upset, and might complain to the restaurant manager? Maybe you wouldn't care.  But lots of folks still think that dress codes matter.

But then, maybe that's a sadistic opinion.

correct me if im wrong, but MJ wasnt wearing "a dirty T-shirt and baggy jeans".  he was wearing shorts and a polo shirt.  both clean.  and playing golf outside isnt the same as eating a meal indoors.  but whatever, as was said earlier, rules is rules.

Colin P.

Im thinking the Club President was a Heat season ticket holder and was there all the times the Bulls made easy work of the Heat in the playoffs.

That picture must be why MJ wears long shorts now. Overcompensation for all those years of wearing short shorts.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

IMO this is pretty simple.  Obviously MJ was a guest of the CC, and probably not aware of the rule (agree with it or not it's the rule).  Not a big deal and could have easily been corrected prior to him teeing off.  The CC is in the wrong to ask someone 2/3rds of the way through their round to come in to the clubhouse to change.

Bottom line is, if I were MJ, you wouldn't have to ban me from the CC, because after you interrupted my round, and embarassed me on the course, I wouldn't ever come back to the place anyways.  The fact that they are worried about following the letter of the rule (which apparently nobody is even aware of because they let him go off and play 12 holes), but can't handle the situation with any tact and common courtesy tells me everything I need to know about that CC.

• Upvote 2

the whole thing is pretty silly...both from the club and from MJ.

he should know better, regardless of anyone's position on cargos all golfers who know a damn thing about any CC realize they should assume they are not allowed, it is possible they will be allowed but doubtful. Certainly under 50%...and that doesn't take La Gorce into consideration. it is high end place...i personally can't believe a well traveled wealthy golfer who has played the clubs in the world wouldn't be aware of this.

Then course either ignors for 12 holes or is made aware of the situation and choses go about in this fashon? it is dumb on both parties

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by David in FL

Rules is rules......

I get that point but it seems like they could've let him finish his round. If they stopped him at the clubhouse, before his round and he still wouldn't change, then don't let him out. Waiting till he's got 7 holes left seems kinda silly to me. Give him a warning and let him finish.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

the whole thing is pretty silly...both from the club and from MJ.

he should know better, regardless of anyone's position on cargos all golfers who know a damn thing about any CC realize they should assume they are not allowed, it is possible they will be allowed but doubtful. Certainly under 50%...and that doesn't take La Gorce into consideration. it is high end place...i personally can't believe a well traveled wealthy golfer who has played the clubs in the world wouldn't be aware of this.

Then course either ignors for 12 holes or is made aware of the situation and choses go about in this fashon? it is dumb on both parties

Perhaps you can make the argument that Jordan should have ASSUMED that the club wouldn't allow it.  Maybe he did assume, but thought he'd try anyways.  Maybe he really didn't think much about it, as I'm sure many golfers might not give it a second thought.

The difference between the two things you've pointed out however, is that the CC KNEW the rule, and we KNOW he walked around the place prior to teeing off, presumably went past a starter and several other employees who did not say anything about it.

The only egregious act here is the way the CC handled the situation.  MJ's choice in shorts, the rule, and everything else is irrelevant.

He should have known better than to wear cargo shorts to a country club.  Anyone who knows anything about golf knows that you assume they aren't allowed at country clubs unless you've verified their particular rules.

With that said, the country club should have just stopped him coming off 18, and asked him not to wear cargo shorts again.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

He should have known better than to wear cargo shorts to a country club.  Anyone who knows anything about golf knows that you assume they aren't allowed at country clubs unless you've verified their particular rules.

With that said, the country club should have just stopped him coming off 18, and asked him not to wear cargo shorts again.

He had been there several times before and worn cargo shorts............so why all the fuss now? The whole thing is rather silly, as he'll just take his cargo shorts and bank account elsewhere.

He had been there many times before and had worn cargo pants previously, and had never been made aware that he was violating any dress code. This time, he was made aware of the violation on the 12th hole, and at that point he did refuse to interrupt his game, and return to the clubhouse and change.

My step-dad wears cargo shorts to play at his club. Strings hanging down and everything. It's against the rules but they never say anything. Probably because with no starter they don't see him. I don't think he owns any golf clothes. I have been denied entry to the dining room there because they didn't like my leather jacket. They didn't consider it a sports coat or blazer. Crazy thing is that jacket cost about 4x that of my nicest blazer and it's cut like a sports coat.

Anyway the no cargo shorts thing seems to be subjective now that Nike, Adidas, Snake Eyes and others have cargo golf shorts on the market. I wore my Nike cargos quite a bit this year. Technically those are cargo shorts but they don't look like cargo shorts. BTW I've seen MJ in cargo shorts before. Pretty sure I've seen him in camo shorts on the course.

Dave :-)

Well, it could have been worse. He could have been wearing loud Wal-mart plaid shorts, the same kind I wear.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Whether or not he knew the rule, and whether or not he had done it before isn't the issue here people.

Had he been informed of the rule (if he didn't know it) or just been asked to change his shorts prior to starting his round, this wouldn't be an issue, and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't have gladly obliged.  It's really not a big deal either way.  The ONLY thing that makes this a big deal is the way the CC handled it.  You simply don't try to enforce a dress code by embarrassing someone and interrupting their round on the 12th hole.  You either address prior to the start of the round, or inform them when they finish up.  For a CC that is so refined to not allow the heathen uniform staple of cargo shorts, you would think they would be able to handle a situation like this with some class and tact.

Also as a side note, does anyone else find it humorous that there is a thread with people talking about how the banning of the  anchored belly putter is going to kill participation and growth of the game, but nobody has the same concerns that golfers may have to start emailing photos of their wardrobe to courses for approval prior to being allowed on the course?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!