IGNORED

MJ banned from Miami Club for Cargo Shorts

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by eich41

Also as a side note, does anyone else find it humorous that there is a thread with people talking about how the banning of the  anchored belly putter is going to kill participation and growth of the game, but nobody has the same concerns that golfers may have to start emailing photos of their wardrobe to courses for approval prior to being allowed on the course?

EXACTLY!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Dress codes this restrictive usually only exist at private country clubs which also have pretty hefty initiation and annual membership fees.  I doubt their dress code is having much of an impact on their membership numbers.

Public and muni courses have much more relaxed dress codes, some don't even require a shirt so the average golfer isn't going to be discouraged from participating.   What it does do is give the golf haters out there another example of golf snobbery and the further the illusion that it's an elitist game/sport

Originally Posted by eich41

Also as a side note, does anyone else find it humorous that there is a thread with people talking about how the banning of the  anchored belly putter is going to kill participation and growth of the game, but nobody has the same concerns that golfers may have to start emailing photos of their wardrobe to courses for approval prior to being allowed on the course?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Possible replacement shorts.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Dress codes this restrictive usually only exist at private country clubs which also have pretty hefty initiation and annual membership fees.  I doubt their dress code is having much of an impact on their membership numbers.

Public and muni courses have much more relaxed dress codes, some don't even require a shirt so the average golfer isn't going to be discouraged from participating.   What it does do is give the golf haters out there another example of golf snobbery and the further the illusion that it's an elitist game/sport

I understand that.  But there are many public courses where I live that have started to adapt similar rules.  I don't wish to digress the thread, but it's silly to ban cargo shorts (or some other general type of clothing).  Almost every cargo short is going to be some sort of khaki color and appropriate length.  There are many examples of shorts that would fall under the "cargo" category that look just as good or better than non-cargo shorts.  I'm fine with having  a dress code, but keep it general, for example collared shirt required, no jeans or jean shorts, pants only, etc.  Seems a bit silly to disallow some piece of clothing based on the location and number of pockets they have.

At the end of the day, courses should keep their dress codes somewhat vague, and enforce them when someone clearly is not dressed appropriately.  I can assure you that I can put together an outfit without cargo shorts that would be entirely inappropriate for a golf course, although within the dress code, and vice versa.  I shouldn't have to worry whether my khaki shorts and polo are the appropriate color and have the requisite number of pockets to be allowed to play a course.

And for the record, I only occasionally wear cargo shorts when playing golf, but the silliness of that rule is beyond absurd.

As Dave2512 said, where I play he would be overdressed, same here. We're lucky to get some guys to wear a shirt with a collar. Our Pro Shop does check your dress before you are allowed out, no tee shirts, etc.

my 97 year old grandmother would recognize michael jordan. banning him from that course hurts them more than it does MJ. to ban him on the 12th hole for crago shorts is pretty cheesy. i understand rules but to enforce them at that point is cheesy

Originally Posted by Harmonious

When you go out to a "nice" restaurant, not a fast-food joint, what do you wear?  Do you think a dirty T-shirt and baggy jeans are suitable? If so, would you be surprised that other patrons might be a little upset, and might complain to the restaurant manager? Maybe you wouldn't care.  But lots of folks still think that dress codes matter.

But then, maybe that's a sadistic opinion.

Actually, yes . .I would be surprised if somebody had so little going on in thier lives that they felt the need to complain about another person's clothing.  I routinely walk into the world's finest establishments wearing nothing but assless leather riding chaps . .so far, no complaints.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmonious

When you go out to a "nice" restaurant, not a fast-food joint, what do you wear?  Do you think a dirty T-shirt and baggy jeans are suitable? If so, would you be surprised that other patrons might be a little upset, and might complain to the restaurant manager? Maybe you wouldn't care.  But lots of folks still think that dress codes matter.

But then, maybe that's a sadistic opinion.

Actually, yes . .I would be surprised if somebody had so little going on in thier lives that they felt the need to complain about another person's clothing.  I routinely walk into the world's finest establishments wearing nothing but assless leather riding chaps . .so far, no complaints.

Well that's only because you have such a nice ass, obviously.

Bill

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

He had been there several times before and worn cargo shorts............so why all the fuss now? The whole thing is rather silly, as he'll just take his cargo shorts and bank account elsewhere.

He had been there many times before and had worn cargo pants previously, and had never been made aware that he was violating any dress code. This time, he was made aware of the violation on the 12th hole, and at that point he did refuse to interrupt his game, and return to the clubhouse and change.

Maybe you can wear Cargo pants, but not Cargo shorts?

Can you let me know where you found these? I'd like to buy a few pair for next Spring/Summer.  I'm looking for something that will raise my tan line above the knees.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Cargo shorts really aren't that far off knickerbockers length-wise. Just add blousers and argyle socks and you're in. I looked on La Gorce's website and couldn't find a thing on dress codes. Of course I'm surprised they'd let common rabble like me on their website. This got me thinking so I looked and sure enough: nudist golf courses do exist. One in Sweden where nudity is permitted (brrrrr) and one in France where, of course, it's mandatory (but then the way France is going nobody there will be able to afford clothes for very much longer anyway.) And now back to my original post. I suspect the members complaining were associated with a basketball organization so often victimized by Jordan and the Bulls. They were simply doing a little payback.

Originally Posted by jamo

That picture must be why MJ wears long shorts now. Overcompensation for all those years of wearing short shorts.

SMH... MJ is the reason we have baggy shorts today. take a look at the length of shorts in the nba in 70's and 80's. He was the first to break that trend and it caught on like wildfire. Even in that picture the shorts are much longer than they used to be. The trend just kept spiraling to longer and longer shorts (which makes it harder and harder to call them "shorts" ironically). But he was the trend setter and originator of all you see today... and its no wonder he's wearing longer length shorts on a golf course, that's been his m.o. for decades.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Originally Posted by divot dave

SMH... MJ is the reason we have baggy shorts today. take a look at the length of shorts in the nba in 70's and 80's. He was the first to break that trend and it caught on like wildfire. Even in that picture the shorts are much longer than they used to be. The trend just kept spiraling to longer and longer shorts (which makes it harder and harder to call them "shorts" ironically). But he was the trend setter and originator of all you see today... and its no wonder he's wearing longer length shorts on a golf course, that's been his m.o. for decades.

Good point! It was always funny to look at MJ's shorts, then on the same court look at the shorts Bill Cartwright wore. LOL

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Im about 2 seconds away from flagging your post for this!

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

For all we know they didn't like the loud parties or all of the cigar smoking he did afterwards, and the dress code thing was a means to an end. I once had to wait half a year for an incompetent co-worker to be fired not because he was completely incompetent but because he was more than 15 minutes late three times in a three month period. :P

Using that incident as an excuse to throw him out is not a far-fetched idea. Could be more than the pants. I don't get the cigar thing on the course. After the round perhaps, but on that picture, he just looks like a doof.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!