IGNORED

MJ banned from Miami Club for Cargo Shorts

RonTheSavage
Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Actually, yes . .I would be surprised if somebody had so little going on in thier lives that they felt the need to complain about another person's clothing.  I routinely walk into the world's finest establishments wearing nothing but assless leather riding chaps . .so far, no complaints.

Do you stick to the seat?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by plum

my 97 year old grandmother would recognize michael jordan. banning him from that course hurts them more than it does MJ. to ban him on the 12th hole for crago shorts is pretty cheesy. i understand rules but to enforce them at that point is cheesy

It's a private course, so I hardly think they care about MJ. They have rules, so he should abide. Actually, it's his host's fault for not addressing it before they teed off.

One time Willie Nelson was invited to play at our course while he was in town on a tour. He was out on the course and we noticed that he had jeans on. Somebody went out and told his host that he should know that jeans weren't allowed. He knew, but he didn't have the balls to tell Willie to change so they played on and his host was suspended for a week.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

It's a private course, so I hardly think they care about MJ. They have rules, so he should abide. Actually, it's his host's fault for not addressing it before they teed off.

One time Willie Nelson was invited to play at our course while he was in town on a tour. He was out on the course and we noticed that he had jeans on. Somebody went out and told his host that he should know that jeans weren't allowed. He knew, but he didn't have the balls to tell Willie to change so they played on and his host was suspended for a week.

Totally worth it to golf with Twisted Willie. A little club street cred.

Dave :-)

• Administrator

This thread went from bad to worse. I was scrolling quickly out of fear but I'm pretty sure Richard frickin' Simmons photos exist? I'm not going to check.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[VIDEO][/VIDEO][quote name="colin007" url="/t/63416/mj-banned-from-miami-club-for-cargo-shorts/72#post_788638"]Sigh...i will never belong to a club like that...[/quote] Sigh..... Me neither. It's WAY outa my price range! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Sigh...i will never belong to a club like that...

To each their own I guess. I actually enjoy buying nice golf clothes and dressing well while on the course. I have always followed the "dress well, feel well, play well" motto. Obviously nice golf clothes aren't going to fix my swing, but there's nothing wrong with dressing well and feeling confident on the course. I also have no problem following the rules any course sets. Most dress codes seem reasonable to me.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested what seems most likely to me. This upscale Miami golf course is a haven for racist bigots.

Miami is one of the more ethnically and culturally diverse cities in this country. I'm not saying there isn't racism. But I can think of a lot of other areas where its much more prevalent.

Originally Posted by Texian

I'm surprised that no one has suggested what seems most likely to me. This upscale Miami golf course is a haven for racist bigots.

I'm surprised anyone would jump to that conclusion. Do you have some inside information about this terrible country club that, by the way, has had Jordan as a guest on several occasions, according to his representative?

Stirred any pots lately?

This post provides a lot of insight into your thought processes.  I now see why you're so confused in other threads.

Originally Posted by Texian

Joe Paradiso

To each their own I guess. I actually enjoy buying nice golf clothes and dressing well while on the course. I have always followed the "dress well, feel well, play well" motto. Obviously nice golf clothes aren't going to fix my swing, but there's nothing wrong with dressing well and feeling confident on the course. I also have no problem following the rules any course sets. Most dress codes seem reasonable to me.

IMO, i don't support any mentality that makes the game seen more elitist or stuffy than it already is...enough people think its a game for rich old white guys only....

Colin P.

My only interest in golf clothes is now it's about performance materials for all seasons. Don't need to spend a bunch of money to buy something decent. I get that people have their own style and like to be casual but it doesn't work for me. I don't like clothes that are too heavy, noisy or restrict movement on the course. I played in a baggie hoodie once and it didn't work. In the same way the one time I forgot my golf shoes twice I had to stand in wet areas and suffered through the round with wet feet. Less about making a fashion statement than wearing something best suited to the activity.

Dave :-)

It's a private course, so I hardly think they care about MJ. They have rules, so he should abide. Actually, it's his host's fault for not addressing it before they teed off. One time Willie Nelson was invited to play at our course while he was in town on a tour. He was out on the course and we noticed that he had jeans on. Somebody went out and told his host that he should know that jeans weren't allowed. He knew, but he didn't have the balls to tell Willie to change so they played on and his host was suspended for a week.

Willie Nelson, in full western regalia, hitting a cut wedge into a tight pin. Now there's a visual for you! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If Jasper Parnavick could wear what he wore golfing, I say big deal about cargo shorts.  I have some that the pocket can barely even be seen on.  However, I really like my Polo ones that have big ole pockets, they  are handy for tees and balls.   Probably don't look the best, true.  But they are functional!

But to ask a man to come back to the clubhouse at the 12th hole, that is rediculous.  They either tell him in the pro shop before he tees off, or they tell him at the end of the round and say "next time", no cargos.  This was handled all wrong no matter who it was.

Quote:

Dress codes this restrictive usually only exist at private country clubs which also have pretty hefty initiation and annual membership fees.  I doubt their dress code is having much of an impact on their membership numbers. ...

Before I play at area country clubs, I call ahead to ask about the dress code. I played in a benefit scramble in May, and the club had a ban on cargo shorts. Not a big deal that day, since the temperature was a very cool 55 degrees.

I think cargo shorts and cargo pants got a bad name way back in the 1990s when the grunge crowd started wearing beat-up camouflage trousers, often slashed with razor blades.

And it's not an age thing. I played in a senior Olympics tournament last summer at a nice public course, and about 25% of us players wore cargo shorts.

Denim jeans also cause problems for some dress codes. Personally, I don't wear jeans for golf because of limited pocket space.

One of the top clubs in our area has a really tight dress code. Our former CEO was a member there, and he got six months probation for letting his shirttail hang out on a 100+ degree day. This club also has a ban on frayed clothing. Modern-day enforcement must be interesting, because the big-money guys I caddied for in the 1970s used to show up in worn-out khakis most of us would wear to mow the yard.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!