onthehunt526

what is your go to shot from 100 yards in the fairway?

366 posts in this topic

Let's just say... You have put yourself 100 yards from the middle of the green... In the middle of the fairway... With light wind (in a perfect world)... And you need to stuff it to win a $5 nassau... What shot do you hit? What club? Basically... I'm putting it so it's the shot you feel most comfortable with... I'll start... I struggle with full shots with short wedges (my 52° & 58°)... My Full PW is 130, 52° 110 & 58° 90...you would think 3/4 52° would be the shot... I actually like a little chippy PW... Because I can land It like 90-95 and get a little run and still get it to check up enough to stay close to the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

From 100 yards in the middle of the fairway is a simple choice. I hit a 3/4 52degree Cleveland gap wedge. I love this shot and have a great feel for it. On par 5's I usually lay up to the 100 yard mark just so I can hit this shot.

If I did that, I screwed up the lay up because it's a really cruddy yardage for me. Right between a sand wedge and my 51* gap wedge. I'm gonna choke down on a gap wedge and hit it full.

100 yards is a smooth GW for me. However sometimes I do like hitting a little choked down PW. So the choked PW would be my go to in this spot

3/4ish 56° SW. I try to be a little above than 100 yards so I can take a choked down full swing rather than try to take something off.

i prefer to hit full shots where possible, i find it to be more reliable yardage so i would hit my 56 deg wedge. It won't be flat out but around 85% i guess.

Low bounce 50 GW, but that's a target shot and there's a lot of variables.  Green running away, how much to work with, clean fairway or rough in front of the green.  Might be a 54 SW or a PW.

75% of time: Full 56

25% of time: Smooth 52

Ultimately depends on misc stuff like contours and firmness of green, weather conditions (temperature, wind etc), the lie and the elevation change if any (even a few yards could be the difference between 6ft and 20 ft)

Of course I will most likely screw up both shots and be 30 ft from the hole no matter what

Full swing gap wedge, that's the perfect distance for me with it and my favorite shot.

my SW (54) is dead on at 100 yards with a comfy full swing

soft on the 50 would do it -

My half swing PW (46) is about 90 - so if the layout it good for a bit of roll, that's an option, but not preferred

in fact, I'm dumping by current SW and getting 56 today (with a bit more bounce to replace the SW) to fit between my 50 and 60 - it'll space out the yardage better.  I suspect after the fact then

56 with a firm swing or a soft 50 will do it

3/4 52 wedge from 100.  My money yardage is 115.  Thats a 3/4 pw and i absolutely love that distance.

Noob here.

Anyway, you guys all hit it too long. I will hit a 3/4 PW (48*) every time from here, and be pretty confident.