IGNORED

Best ball for the $

Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm about a 18 handicap so I go thru a lot of balls.   I've tried most of the low end balls but keep coming back to the Bridgestone E6.   My second choice because of the cost would be the Taylor Made Burner.   I believe that each person has expectations of what a good ball strike should feel like and it is a personal choice.  Good luck in your search.

Denny

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by D2Doug

Any good durable cover ball is ok for starting out, whatever you can get at a good value.  Find a few balls playing, get the feel for them that way too.   I have also had good results buying from a used golf ball place online.  Saves you money, on something you have a good chance of loosing or cart pathing anyway!

Bridgestone does make a fine product, even their lower end balls.  true.

It is "Losing". You're Welcome.

As a lot have said, I love the E6 (tried the E5 too, but preferred the E6) when it comes to buying a new ball. They are relatively inexpensive and fly straight.

However, if you're just starting out and losing more than 2-3 balls per round, I'd highly recommend trying knetgolf.com and buying used balls in bulk and for very cheap. I prefer the recycled balls rather than the refinished ones. Also, I like these guys much better than lostgolfballs.com. I had a very bad experience with them.

Go ahead and try some Bridgestone E6 or E5 balls etc or shop around for sales and good deals on Callaway hex chrome type balls or Titleist NXT Balls. Urethane feels the best when you start putting and getting into your high end ball select like a pro V1 or a Bridgestone rx300 but there are also a lot of places online that offer balls in bulk that are assorted or all of the same kind for cheap prices that are in different conditions and go by different grades! Don't spend 40-50 for a dozen balls though if your just starting out the game as you will be losing 4 bucks every lost ball and could easily lose a dozen in round or even before its over depending on the landscape of the course!!! Good Luck!!

I like the Bridgestone E6 at it's price point also, and it's pretty cheap.

Another option in the Nike PD Soft. It's a good ball for the money and can be found for around $16.00 per dozen or less. A great beginner ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses!

But I was afraid of this, no clear winner here.  But I agree, as I am new to the game, top of the line balls would be wasted on me.  But there seems to a split on mid-price/low-price would be best.

I do like the your comment cooke119 about water on the course.  There is some, so I am sure I will hear a splash or two before I learn to make the ball go where I want it.

Another question: I noticed compression was mentioned, is this the main thing I should check for when looking at "specs" for golf balls?

Thanks again, and hope you all have a great holiday season!

OMG, I am totally sold on the Top Flight Gamer V2. There was some banter on another thread about how good they are, and to be honest, I am a bit of a ball snob so I didn't really believe any of it. I like all of the top of the line offerings by all the major manufacturers, with PV1s being my fav, but occaissionally I will stoop to the NXT Tour if the price is right. So, I'm in Dick's and see they have the Gamers on sale for $15/doz, and I think they will be adequate for the wife and daughter, so I got two boxes.

Well, I'm getting another 5 or 6 boxes asap, as I hear they are being discontinued. These balls are the sh!t. No, they are not PV1s. But, they go at least 20yds further off the driver than the Maxfli U4s I have been playing recently, they are surprisingly soft, and here's the big surprise: they spin quite well! I am getting consistent one hop stop or moderate spinback action with any approach shot  where I put some decent clubhead speed on the ball. Two days ago I would have taken the greenie on a 105yd par 3, but my sand wedge shot hit about 2 ft from the hole and then spun back past the next closest to the hole marker. Oh well, I made the bird..

Like I said, they're not PV1s, but at 1/3 the price it's no contest. These will be my regualr everyday ball as long as they are around and I will use the $$ I save to feed my club addiction. Hmmm, the Nike VR Pros are looking sweet...

dak4n6

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart

This was back in 2010, if you look at the chart the V-2 gamer is by far highest spinning ball for $20 dollars and under, matching a lot of the mid range golf balls.

The real ball on the board is the Taylormade LPD black, those things are a premium golf ball at a great price. The great thing is, you can find two for $50 at most golf stores, because they sold like crap when they came out. I think they were in that no man's land, not advertised as a premium golf ball but to expensive for a mid to low range golf ball, i put them were Titleist NXT tour is right now in price when they first came out. On sale they are the best ball out there.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by saevel25

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-06/hotlist2010_golfballs_spinchart

This was back in 2010, if you look at the chart the V-2 gamer is by far highest spinning ball for $20 dollars and under, matching a lot of the mid range golf balls.

The real ball on the board is the Taylormade LPD black, those things are a premium golf ball at a great price. The great thing is, you can find two for $50 at most golf stores, because they sold like crap when they came out. I think they were in that no man's land, not advertised as a premium golf ball but to expensive for a mid to low range golf ball, i put them were Titleist NXT tour is right now in price when they first came out. On sale they are the best ball out there.

The Golf Digest test in 2010 was awesome.  I completely agree about the TaylorMade TP Black: It's the best, most under-rated ball, especially for the price.

I wish Golf Digest would reproduce that test again with the new balls.  They should make it an annual event.

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

Originally Posted by limoric

You are new to the game, buy the cheapest ball you can find with 70-80 compression. It absolutely does not matter what ball you play as a beginner. Now is the perfect time to experiment as you'll be buying a dozen every few rounds.

If you plan to get better, go online and look for the Top Flite Gamer V2's, you can find them for a buck a ball. They sold for $30-$40 just a couple of years ago. This is the cheap mans Pro V1. I play it in the winter as I lose a few balls per round due to balls pugging in the fairway or rough (pacific northwest). I get the same distance as Pro V, but slightley less spin. It's too bad they're discontinued. Buy as many as you can find...

Full agreement with this post - if you're a beginner, you won't be leveraging the benefits of mid, let alone, higher priced balls.  Look for the softest cheapest balls you can find, and stock up on them.  You may, um, be losing a few per round.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit - 9.5* Stiff

Woods: TaylorMade R11S - 3W Stiff, TaylorMade R11 Ti - 5W Stiff

Irons: Callaway X-12 - 3-PW Uniflex

Wedges: TaylorMade Rocketballz 50* AW - Cleveland 588 RTG 56* SW

Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 2

Quote:
Top Flite Gamer V2's, you can find them for a buck a ball. They sold for $30-$40 just a couple of years ago

If you were paying 30-40 for V2's then you were getting ripped off. I never saw that ball going above $20 even when it first came out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I agree with previous posts regarding which ball you should play as there are may different styles/construction out there for you to choose. Pro-V1, B-330, TM Penta etc are all great balls to play if your driver club speed is well over 100mph consistently. If it is less than 100mph then you probably will not compress the ball enough to get the full potential that the ball is capable of, hence, you will not see the advertised performance benefits (backspin etc)of the ball. Marketing IS everything, at $50/dozen the manufactures sell a ton of them. These balls may not be in your best choice at this time for your game, and you will feel the pain in your wallet when you see them splash into the pond. As your game improves then they may be an good option for you. I would start by purchasing a sleeve(s) of balls that your local pro or golf shop recommends for your swing type, and go from there. There are a lot of good balls out there for around $20/dozen..............good luck and have fun finding it!

I'm about a 25 handicap and play about once or twice a month. I play with Nike Power Distance balls. I get them at WalMart for about $15/box. At this point, I don't think I'm good enough to spend much more on golf balls. I've never had any trouble with them, and have also played Callaway Warbirds, Titleist NXT, Noodles, Nike Mojo, and can honestly say I'm not good enough to tell a huge difference in any of them. I tend to stick with the Nike balls because I've always been a Nike guy, and they're relatively inexpensive. Any one have any thoughts on any of the balls I mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!