IGNORED

Finding good balls at the range

Bwm318
Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

FWIW, we've had this thread before, and the tilt was much more towards the "those aren't yours don't even think about it" camp than this seems to be so far.

Link? I'll merge (or you can).

And FWIW I usually just hit them. I don't think it's a big deal to take 'em, either. I just typically don't.

The practice range at Whispering Woods is to the right of a LOOOONG par four. So it gets a fair number of "additional" golf balls. :)

Here's a possible: http://thesandtrap.com/t/5930/stealing-range-balls-i-dont-get-it

Or this: http://thesandtrap.com/t/35982/golf-balls-at-the-range

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a possible:  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/5930/stealing-range-balls-i-dont-get-it]http://thesandtrap.com/t/5930/stealing-range-balls-i-dont-get-it[/URL] Or this:  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/35982/golf-balls-at-the-range]http://thesandtrap.com/t/35982/golf-balls-at-the-range[/URL]

I saw those - they're so short it's almost not worth it. I definitely remember a much longer one within the last few years. Anyway, back to the topic. I'll keep looking but if anyone happens to find it PM the link to me or Erik or Mike or whomever.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I saw those - they're so short it's almost not worth it. I definitely remember a much longer one within the last few years.

The one I remember was titled something like *striking gold* after finding a pro v1 on the range - the reason i remember was me and a fellow St-er were laughing about it during a round

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Depends what condition there in, but if not good, then hit em' back out.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

I've taken my share of newer balls that ended up on the range. I can sleep at night because I have hit my share of my own balls onto the range after a crappy session. Those times at least for me when I dont wanna leave on a fat shot..........I've gone through 7 or 8 of my own balls that way.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I've always assumed those non-range balls are mine if I want them. If I find a ball in good shape I usually take it. I used to play some at a fancy club where it was common to find a nice shape pro-V1 or other high-end ball in your bucket

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Would you pick up a $10 bill on the sidewalk, if there was no one around that it could possible belong to? You know it doesn't belong to you, either.

I've come across a few $20 bills.  I didn't pick any of them up.  It didn't feel right.  Of course, they didn't last long on the ground as the next passerby didn't have a problem collecting found money.  As for found gold balls, I'll pick one up on the course if I'm looking for a ball I lost.  Seems like an even exchange.  I lose one in a hazard.  I play the one I find.  Luckily, that doesn't happen very often.  As for balls I find in the range bucket, I either hit them or leave them at the tee.

Originally Posted by sportsnut

Found a real winner on the range today, no range attention, municipal course, guy went out and shagged balls from the range then hit them.

I encountered my first scavenger the other day.  This guy would hit a few balls then sit down for 20-30 minutes.  As groups left the range, he would collect whatever practice balls they didn't hit and add them to his bucket.  I had to wonder what motivates someone to do that.  Is he cheap?  Is he bored looking for a way to kill time?  Does it even matter?

Whats the damage Phi? No one is losing out? The range certainly ising losing any money since the range balls have been paid for anyway and who is to say that the guy wouldnt have paid for the same number of range balls in the end anyway?

I think this is one of those instances where its easy to take the moral high ground when in reality there is no point to it. Everyone has their own personal double standards but I just dont find it worth my time to get on my own high horse because quite often a fall from that hight hurts a lot! :)

Mailman

Mailman

Originally Posted by mailman

Whats the damage Phi? No one is losing out? The range certainly ising losing any money since the range balls have been paid for anyway and who is to say that the guy wouldnt have paid for the same number of range balls in the end anyway?

I think this is one of those instances where its easy to take the moral high ground when in reality there is no point to it. Everyone has their own personal double standards but I just dont find it worth my time to get on my own high horse because quite often a fall from that hight hurts a lot! :)

Mailman

I mentioned it because I thought it was curious.  I always assumed someone was hitting the orphaned balls on the range.  I just never thought that someone would plan their day around it.  There's certainly no value judgment assigned to it.  But I do wonder what the motivation is.  It's one of those things about human behavior that piques my interest.  While it was not my intent to suggest any value judgments, I would still classify this guy as a scavenger as that is exactly what he was doing.

I dunno Phi...do you think someone really plans their trip to the driving range on the off chance there will be left over golf balls there? I know Ive pounced on a half bucket of "abandoned" driving range balls when ever Ive seen them sitting there, all lonely, waiting for a purpose in life :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

I mentioned it because I thought it was curious.  I always assumed someone was hitting the orphaned balls on the range.  I just never thought that someone would plan their day around it.  There's certainly no value judgment assigned to it.  But I do wonder what the motivation is.  It's one of those things about human behavior that piques my interest.  While it was not my intent to suggest any value judgments, I would still classify this guy as a scavenger as that is exactly what he was doing.

At a previous club I belonged to, there was one old guy who hung around the range for hours and would run up and hit any balls anyone left - even if it was only 1 or 2. Not sure why the guy annoyed me, but he did - so I always hit every last ball so he couldnt scam free range time.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

If I happen to find some leftover balls at the range, I'll add my own bucket to the pile and go ahead and hit them. Well, maybe---I don't often want to hit a whole lot more than my bucket. If I find a couple before a round, I might hit them just as a warmup.

The only times I've hit a large number of leftover balls without buying a bucket of my own is when someone hit an entire bucket at the chipping practice area and left them. In that case, I felt that I'd earned it by cleaning up the chipping green. (Actually, it may have happened twice, I don't recall.)

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by mailman

I dunno Phi...do you think someone really plans their trip to the driving range on the off chance there will be left over golf balls there? I know Ive pounced on a half bucket of "abandoned" driving range balls when ever Ive seen them sitting there, all lonely, waiting for a purpose in life :)

Regards

Mailman

I really don't know.  But I wonder sometimes  .  .  .

Note: This thread is 4146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!