IGNORED

Questions for Orange Whip inventor Jim Hackenberg

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 3674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hi Everyone,
We're going to be gathering any questions you have for Jim Hackenberg, inventor of the golf training aid, the Orange Whip . We'll be sending them to Jim and putting it together in a blog/article. Post your questions in this thread
What is the Orange Whip ? Β It's one of the most popular training aids out there and a favorite among PGA Tour players. Β Reviews from the golf publications have said the Orange Whip can help improve flexibility, coordination, strength and tempo.

ALSO, make sure to use the promo code SANDTRAP for $10 off at www.orangewhiptrainer.com

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a friend who has used the Orange Whip for a year and turned me onto it. He uses it before each round for the exercises and loosening up. He is still using it after a year, which is the best recommendation.

I purchased two - for me and a client. Since the Whip threads began, I'd been using it with the suggested exercises and gradual buildup to the full swing exercise. It does have benefits.

Question: What have the pros taught you about the Whip and their use of it?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Mr. Desmond,

My experience with the Tour Pros (PGA, LPGA, and Champions) using the Orange Whip has been interesting because of the variety of uses they find to positively affect their game. Β Benefits include: Β  Improved flexibility, increased core strength, and promotion of perfect Timing and Release. Β  Β Some Tour pros have been using the Orange Whip along with their weight training as a way to "wind down" after a workout.

I would say the most important thing that the Pros have taught me about the use of the Orange Whip is how effectively they get stretched out prior to a practice session by swinging the Whip in repetition. Β Being fully stretched out prior to a practice session leads to more productive practice. Β Also, I have spoke with many Tour pros that use the Orange Whip away from the golf course to maintain their Athletic golf swing motion, without having to hit a lot of range balls. Β  Β I expect many tour pros are now swinging the Orange Whip during this off-season and getting ready for 2013.

Jim Hackenberg

I'm interested in how specifically you recommend using the whip to promote smooth flow, timing, and release. Β I've only swung one a few times in the store and would have bought one a while ago except for golf funds being pretty tight right now. Β The recs to use it as a warm up and for swing specific flexibility training sound intriguing, but I was most struck the couple times I've swung it by how the flex and weight really seemed to help promote a smooth swing with a gradual build up of speed/pressure, rather than a quick snap at the top. Β You guys promote any particular drills with the whip in that vein? Β How have users found it helps in that way?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Good question mdl.

I have another one. Β For flexibility, do you have a recommended program to follow such as use every day or every other day? Β I would be a bit worried about repetitive motion injury using it everyday other than a warm up. Β It is heavy and may stress the wrists a bit. Β I would think you would also need a day off here and there similar to weight training.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by mdl

I'm interested in how specifically you recommend using the whip to promote smooth flow, timing, and release. Β I've only swung one a few times in the store and would have bought one a while ago except for golf funds being pretty tight right now. Β The recs to use it as a warm up and for swing specific flexibility training sound intriguing, but I was most struck the couple times I've swung it by how the flex and weight really seemed to help promote a smooth swing with a gradual build up of speed/pressure, rather than a quick snap at the top. Β You guys promote any particular drills with the whip in that vein? Β How have users found it helps in that way?

Hello mdl,

Thank you for the questions!Β  The way to use the Orange Whip Trainer to promote a smooth flow with proper timing and release is to start swinging the Orange Whip back and forth in constant motion at a very slow pace.Β  You start with half golf swings and build slowlyΒ into your full swing.Β  While slowly swinging the Orange Whip in a continuous motion, you must maintain your balance.Β  These are the two main keys with the Orange Whip: a back and forth constantΒ swing AND to maintainΒ your balance at the same time.

As you feel the weight of the Orange Whip load and unload in the flexible shaft, you should feel the "timing" required for the Orange Whip to release properly and remain smooth.Β  When you feel comfortable with this motion, gradually build the motion into your full golf swing.Β  Once you feelΒ comfortable with your fullΒ swing, you can then pick up the pace until you reach your full golf swing at full speed.

If at anytime, you feel the "quick snap at the top" or any other place in the swing, you are fighting how your body wants to move.Β Β Β  When this happens, you need to slow down you swing until you feel the back and forth motion smoothes out.Β  This smooth motion is your tempo and timing forΒ your golf swing.

To view all our drills in action, please visit our website, www.OrangeWhipTrainer.com and view the video Sultan of Swing.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at anytime.

Thanks,

Jim

Good question mdl. I have another one. Β For flexibility, do you have a recommended program to follow such as use every day or every other day? Β I would be a bit worried about repetitive motion injury using it everyday other than a warm up. Β It is heavy and may stress the wrists a bit. Β I would think you would also need a day off here and there similar to weight training.

Boogielicious, Your question on frequency of use and concern for stress related injuries is a great one. I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but since I am a PGA golf pro and not a doctor or therapist, I am unable to fully answer your question. Based on my personal experience, as well as feedback from other regular users of the Orange Whip, we have not received any injury issues from these golfers. Personally, my shoulders and wrists feel better now, then they did prior to my development of the Whip. To be safe, please consult your physician or fitness adviser and speak we with them about Repetitive Motion drills. Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a question on the Orange Peel - if you don't mind me asking here? Β Can you give me an elevator pitch on why the Orange Whip - combined with the Orange Peel would be beneficial for a low single digit handicapper? Β I see some potential use for the Orange Whip in my daily training, but not clear on the Orange Peel.

Thanks!

Beach

Beach, The Orange Peel was designed to center and balance your core while training your athletic golf swing motion. This leads to improved consistency all year long. Since you are a low handicapper, the greatest benefit you can receive from the Peel is opportunity to work on any lie angle and how you maintain balance in all these situations. Most golfers, good and bad, rarely practice their ability to make an athletic swing while on an un-even lie. Usually, the only practice is on a flat driving range tee. I hope this was helpful. Jim

Beach, In regards to the Orange Whip and the Orange Peel, the Whip was designed to synchronize your arms and body by swinging back and forth in repetition. Due to the unique design of flexible shaft and weighting system, if you swing Whip correctly, you will feel balanced and powerful. Incorrectly, and you will feel awkward and off balance. The combined use of both products encourages a balanced, powerful swing that is easy to repeat.

• 4 months later...

Question regarding full swing when using the OW Trainer. Β I am right handed and keep my left foot planted on my backswing. Β I know some teach say to lift the back left heel, but I think I stay anchored better with it planted. Β I noticed on most videos the left foot/heel being lifted and wondering if I should keep mine planted on lift during drills?

Both my wife and I are 60 yr old and with no health issues.

We both play golf

Would like to get the longer trainer but it would be nice if she could use it too. She is 5'6 and 132 lbs.

Not sure if the Golden may be too short for me.

Could she use the longer trainer and just grip down a couple of inches to make it a little shorter

Very good question about the left foot and if it should remain planted or if it can be lifted.? Β  As you noticed, in the Orange Whip videos I tend to raise my left foot quite a bit, but when I hit a driver I keep the left foot fairly well planted. Β  The reason I lift the left foot during the Orange Whip drills is to maximize the stretch I receive while swinging the Orange Whip. Β  Also, by exaggerating my footwork, I am actually improving my balance and coordination. Β  Β I do recommend experimenting with different amount of footwork to improve your golf swing and balance, but make sure you do some swings with the footwork you would use during an actual shot.

I hope this helps,

Jim Hackenberg

Originally Posted by rstyle

Both my wife and I are 60 yr old and with no health issues.

We both play golf

Would like to get the longer trainer but it would be nice if she could use it too. She is 5'6 and 132 lbs.

Not sure if the Golden may be too short for me.

Could she use the longer trainer and just grip down a couple of inches to make it a little shorter

Thank you for the question regarding the Orange Whip Trainer (longer version). Β  The quick answer is Yes, your wife could easily grip down a few inches and it would replicate the same sensation as the Orange Whip Golden. Β So, sharing the Orange Whip Trainer would work well.

The Orange Whip Trainer and the Golden are made with the same components, but the Golden is 4 inches shorter than the Trainer. Β  Since it is shorter, the Golden seems easier to manage while using it, but the golf swing benefits are similar to the Trainer. Β  Personally, I use the Orange Whip Trainer for my wood swing practice, the Orange Whip Golden for iron work, and the OW Hickory for wedge and short game.

I hope this was helpful,

Jim Hackenberg

Originally Posted by River Hill

Question regarding full swing when using the OW Trainer. Β I am right handed and keep my left foot planted on my backswing. Β I know some teach say to lift the back left heel, but I think I stay anchored better with it planted. Β I noticed on most videos the left foot/heel being lifted and wondering if I should keep mine planted on lift during drills?

Very good question about the left foot and if it should remain planted or if it can be lifted.? Β  As you noticed, in the Orange Whip videos I tend to raise my left foot quite a bit, but when I hit a driver I keep the left foot fairly well planted. Β  The reason I lift the left foot during the Orange Whip drills is to maximize the stretch I receive while swinging the Orange Whip. Β  Also, by exaggerating my footwork, I am actually improving my balance and coordination. Β  Β I do recommend experimenting with different amount of footwork to improve your golf swing and balance, but make sure you do some swings with the footwork you would use during an actual shot.

I hope this helps,

Jim Hackenberg

• 11 months later...

Hi Jim,

I'm very interested in yourΒ training aid.

You recommend golfers above 5'6 to use the full size Orange Whip which simulates a driver motion due to its length.

I've been having trouble with my irons and full-wedge game recently. I'm interested in the Hickory Whip but am concerned I will not gain from it as a 6 foot 78kg 21-year-old guy.

My question is, would buying the Golden trainer be more useful to aidΒ correct transition for irons than the full size Orange Whip ?Β Or do you recommend the full size Whip for all golfers at the 6 foot mark.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

I would recommend the Orange Whip Mid-Size (formally called Golden) for your needs. Β  Since your focus is irons and wedges, you can accommodate both needs with the Mid-size. Β  If you hold it at full length, it will be like your long irons. Β If you choke down on the grip, it will be more like a short iron.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16179674/Orange%20Whip%20Product%20Info%202014/OW%20Brochures%202014/OW%20Poster%20Brochure_ForWebView%20(1).pdf

I hope this helps,

Jim Hackenberg

Note:Β This thread is 3674 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!