• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trex

Forward shaft lean at setup?

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, new here.  I have a question regarding forward shaft lean at setup (mainly w/ irons).  Not talking about forward press to trigger swing.  I've been experimenting with this and seems to do two things:  1) helps me bring club back on good line - since my tendency is to bring it to outside - I have a bigger tendency to come over-the-top.  and 2) it seems to help me pre-set my left wrist - i tend to cast.  So, what I've noticed is my shots gain about 5% distance.  Im only forward leaning each club to center of my left leg (at hip joint).  So, its not super forward.  Also, with this one focus spot, I forward lean the shorter clubs more.

My results are pretty good over several range visits.  First time was amazing, then just pretty good.  Do any pro's set up this way (other than just knock down shots)?  thx for your time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

It is good to hear you are having positive results.  The idea is to have a flat left wrist at impact.  Having a slightly forward shaft lean will help with a flat left wrist condition.

One training aid that many golfers have been speaking highly of is the tour striker.  It will help ensure you have a forward leaning shaft at impact - again helping with a flat left wrist condition.  This ensures you are compressing the golf ball - then taking a divot.

So to answer your original post... Placing the left handle near your left thigh is not a bad idea.  And many instructors are teaching this today.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think a lot of people tend to keep there hands at the ball, i remember a few tips were the hands should be at the right half of left thigh. So when your teeing up with the driver its more hands at the ball, when your hitting irons, the hands are out front a bit.

I have issue with this my hands tend to stay towards the center of my body. I think i have takeaway problems, especially keeping the clubhead outside my hands.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by trex

Hello everyone, new here.  I have a question regarding forward shaft lean at setup (mainly w/ irons).  Not talking about forward press to trigger swing.  I've been experimenting with this and seems to do two things:  1) helps me bring club back on good line - since my tendency is to bring it to outside - I have a bigger tendency to come over-the-top.  and 2) it seems to help me pre-set my left wrist - i tend to cast.  So, what I've noticed is my shots gain about 5% distance.  Im only forward leaning each club to center of my left leg (at hip joint).  So, its not super forward.  Also, with this one focus spot, I forward lean the shorter clubs more.

My results are pretty good over several range visits.  First time was amazing, then just pretty good.  Do any pro's set up this way (other than just knock down shots)?  thx for your time.

It's one of the components of the Stack and Tilt setup position, although not quite as far forward as you describe.

"Your hands should be opposite the inside of your left thigh, with the grip of the club over the inside of your left ankle from your perspective. Combined with the correct ball location, this position creates a slight forward lean of the shaft from the face-on view.  The greater this angle, the easier it is to hit down and out at the ball." ( The Stack and Tilt Swing , page 48)

Charlie Wi at setup:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

It's one of the components of the Stack and Tilt setup position, although not quite as far forward as you describe.

It's not just a setup position of S&T.; It's a setup position of a lot of golf swings.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have just begun doing this for the reasons you state.

I begin by pushing the left hip down in the direction of the target and taking the club straight back.

This means that I start with my right shoulder high!

I concentrate on my hips and arms going back together, not on moving my arms back.

Works for me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this thread. For the last month or so my ball striking has really been poor. I was getting really frustrated and began trying different set ups grips and posture. Read this thread about 3 hours ago and ran off to the range. Wow the forward shaft lean to mid left thigh had me flushing my irons and pounding my driver 4 wood. Hybrid still a mystery to me. Either way the forward shaft lean helped with my posture takeaway and more important ball contact.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trex,

I use the forward shaft lean. My setup looks oddly a lot like Charlie Wi in the picture above. With this setup it has done a few things for me. I can now hit down on the ball with power that I just couldn't find with the club straight. My divots are actually after the ball, which before never seemed to happen.

Try to find what works for you. If the forward shaft works, then I would suggest sticking to it. Every single person has a different swing.

Solid ball contact with a good idea of where the ball is going is our goal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely prefer having them forward. Makes me feel like I'll be returning to somewhat the same (relative) position. It also pre-hinge the wrists a little, which makes my take-away feel better.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Butt of club points to left testicle"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Butt of club points to left testicle"

What if you've got really big.... Ah, never mind...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have forward shaft lean at set-up guy. I have tried the left cupped wrist/handle at zipper way but it never felt quite right.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Zeph

I definitely prefer having them forward.

Me too.

On an unrelated note to the full-swing, but talking about handle positions... The thing that really took me awhile getting comfortable with was found in the pitching motion.  Moving the handle back to my mid section/belt buckle really threw me for a loop. Wow did that feel weird at first.  I had come so comfortable with a forward shaft lean on full shots, and even bump and run chips... That trying to practice the pitching motion with the handle centered really caused some issues with comfort.

But once I trusted putting the shaft back to the middle... To encourage positive loft and induce bounce versus the leading edge... Did my pitching game really improve.  It is amazing how the ball pops up so much easier when you have the shaft in the middle versus leaning forward.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in a similar situation, for a couple weeks now . . .

I start out the day with my hands JUST in front of the ball, with a 7i for example, and ball placement about 1 ball length fwd from center.  After a while (sometimes 5 shots, sometimes 16 holes), as I address the ball initially, I'll look down at the club face expecting a square setup, but I'm closed and it feels natural.  I immediately know something is wrong, but have yet to figure out what.

If I try to open the face, the odd feeling intensifies and totally screws up my entire shot, back to front, most commonly results in me smashing the club into the ground behind the ball.  If I try and swing through it from the closed position, I either "goat hump" it and get a weak pull, or I actually hit it clean but get a nasty pull-hook.  The only way I can get rid of the feeling is to move my hands towards the target until I'm square, not uncommon for my same 7i to have a setup with the butt of the shaft now pointing at my left pocket, 4-6 inches difference.  This move allows me to manage my shot, but it also requires my backswing to be slightly different to which point I no longer have the same level of consistency, plus it just sucks.

After several failed adjustment changes (grip setup, shoulder angle, etc), it dawned on me last night that it may be my grip pressure.  Again, I get the odd feeling before I make ANY move whatsoever, and I don't think it's mental becuase it can happen when I'm in the (my) zone.  I tend to sweat a lot and it's been really hot lately.  I normally have good grip pressure, the whole bird in the hand bit, so I think that's why I've overlooked that up until now.  While in my living room last night, I noticed that if I squeeze the grip with my left hand, it closes the face.  And as I get sweatier, I can't imagine that I'm not making this mistake.

Any thoughts?  Guess I'm hoping someone out there has had the same issue and overcame it and has some advice to pass along.  I hope to get out on the range today with some grip gel stuff I bought.

Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by skuzme210

I'm in a similar situation, for a couple weeks now . . .

I start out the day with my hands JUST in front of the ball, with a 7i for example, and ball placement about 1 ball length fwd from center.  After a while (sometimes 5 shots, sometimes 16 holes), as I address the ball initially, I'll look down at the club face expecting a square setup, but I'm closed and it feels natural.  I immediately know something is wrong, but have yet to figure out what.

If I try to open the face, the odd feeling intensifies and totally screws up my entire shot, back to front, most commonly results in me smashing the club into the ground behind the ball.  If I try and swing through it from the closed position, I either "goat hump" it and get a weak pull, or I actually hit it clean but get a nasty pull-hook.  The only way I can get rid of the feeling is to move my hands towards the target until I'm square, not uncommon for my same 7i to have a setup with the butt of the shaft now pointing at my left pocket, 4-6 inches difference.  This move allows me to manage my shot, but it also requires my backswing to be slightly different to which point I no longer have the same level of consistency, plus it just sucks.

After several failed adjustment changes (grip setup, shoulder angle, etc), it dawned on me last night that it may be my grip pressure.  Again, I get the odd feeling before I make ANY move whatsoever, and I don't think it's mental becuase it can happen when I'm in the (my) zone.  I tend to sweat a lot and it's been really hot lately.  I normally have good grip pressure, the whole bird in the hand bit, so I think that's why I've overlooked that up until now.  While in my living room last night, I noticed that if I squeeze the grip with my left hand, it closes the face.  And as I get sweatier, I can't imagine that I'm not making this mistake.

Any thoughts?  Guess I'm hoping someone out there has had the same issue and overcame it and has some advice to pass along.  I hope to get out on the range today with some grip gel stuff I bought.

Thanks.

Moving the handle forward, will help with a positive path - and tend to open the face a few degrees.  Whereas moving the handle back will have the opposite effect.

If you're using a 7i, place the ball just forward of center, and place your hands/handle forward near the left hamstring.  Here is an image from Brian Manzella (TGM guru).  I like what he does with the setup...

Ultimately, the goal should be to have a flat left wrist at impact, with a firm left side like this:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • How long should my ball test be?
      Just wanted some thoughts on how long I should test each ball Im considerring. What is a good sample size. 9 holes, 18 or even longer?
    • Question on Twitter: Easiest Way to Shoot Lower Scores in a Week
      What I have learned as I have improved and keep reading about in Bob Rotella's books is that the best way to shoot the score of your life is to focus on practicing the short game, but mostly developing confidence in your putting. Since most of our strokes consist of the short game, by getting just a percentage better there it will translate to more overall success than anywhere else.
    • No Forearm Rotation - Biggest Swing Flaw?
      @Golfer2223 what does forearm rotation have to do with the shoulders?-They are not connected. Forearms can rotate regardless of what the shoulders are doing.
    • No Forearm Rotation - Biggest Swing Flaw?
      Correct. For example: He also says that the forearms rotate during the backswing. Which we know that they do, and quite a bit. How much is too much? On the left, below in both images, is his depiction of zero rotation: On the right, in both images, he demonstrates nearly 90° of turning at the wrist. based on what I know, little of this comes from the upper arm - the majority of it comes from the forearm. Do you disagree with any of that, @Golfer2223? Notice one thing, then, too please. On the left, the plane of the left wrist is pretty much parallel to the sagittal plane. On the right images, it's perpendicular to it. What do we find at the top of the backswing of the game's best players? The issue now appears to be simply trying to determine what in the world you mean by the bold above, particularly because there's really nothing "natural" about the golf swing. What feels natural to you, or seems natural to you, is definitely not natural to all or possibly even the majority of golfers. in my experience I've learned that you can't really talk about the golf swing in terms of what's "natural" or not. The truth of the matter is that for golfers who do this the right amount "naturally" then it simply isn't something we talk about in a lesson. For golfers who do it an improper amount, it may or may not be their priority. Here's a wrist graph from AMM for a very, very good golfer. Note that the wrist (blue line, top left) starts with 50° of supination. It pronates, relative to the upper arm, to a position of 16° pronation at the top. That's a pronation from 50° on one side of the zero mark to 16° on the other side - a pronation of 66°. This doesn't even account for how much the upper arm rotates - the forearm has rotated 66° from the setup position. (Note that above when I said 25° or 32°, that was relative to totally neutral, not to the setup position. The forearms rotated quite a bit more than the 25-32° cited, because they started somewhat supinated.) This graph and these numbers are not unusual. Look, @Golfer2223, it's somewhat incumbent upon you to be clear in what you're saying. It's far from ideal to say things like how you expect to see "zero forearm rotation" (or whatever) but then to claim that it's "relative to the natural shoulder motion" (obviously both paraphrased). Nobody has a clue what you mean by the "natural shoulder" whatever, and many would disagree that anything in this topic area is "natural" to begin with. So, please clarify what you're saying, and be precise and use specific words, or at least define them, provide examples, or both.
    • Best Shot of the Week
      Teeing of on Northdale #7 a short par four 336 from white tees. There is a pond water hazard about 235 or 240 ahead covering a lot of right hand side. Left hand is a small area and high trees to carry. Hit driver and blasted it, carried trees on left hand side and must have gotten a good cart path bounce. When we drove up was 50 yards from center of green. That's a loooong drive for me. Longest yet. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Blog Entries