IGNORED

My Swing (jefkve)

jefkve

Originally Posted by jefkve

Yeah, really been drilling this at home. Went to the range yesterday and "felt" like I was doing a better job of taking the club away on a better path, but upon reviewing some video I took, I'm STILL taking the club too far to the inside and not getting my shoulders on the right angle. Going to drill some more. I think the 'feel' I need to go for is almost a vertical swing plane on the way back. Will post more if/when I make any progress.

Thanks again for all your help!

Any improvement in contact?  Even though the picture may not be "perfect", hopefully you saw some positive results.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Or Stank Elbow, yeah?

I used to hate everything about my golf swing. Now I very selectively hate each individual piece one at a time. Much more efficient!

This week its my transition and my stupid inability to flatten out without a big ass loop.

LOL.

OP, sorry for the Highjack.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Any improvement in contact?  Even though the picture may not be "perfect", hopefully you saw some positive results.

Saw some definite improvement, yes. Still have a lot of work to do on key #5 (I still tend to come into impact with the face WAY open), but overall, impact improved, and with it I've gained some much needed distance.

Thanks again for all your help. Curious: I googled "Pitch elbow" and I found this character on YouTube . Should I being trying to emulate the former motion or the latter? (i.e. REALLY trying to keep those elbows tight or no)

+

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

OP, sorry for the Highjack.

No worries.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Saw some definite improvement, yes. Still have a lot of work to do on key #5 (I still tend to come into impact with the face WAY open), but overall, impact improved, and with it I've gained some much needed distance.

Thanks again for all your help. Curious: I googled "Pitch elbow" and I found this character on YouTube . Should I being trying to emulate the former motion or the latter? (i.e. REALLY trying to keep those elbows tight or no)

Good to hear.  Regarding the elbows, you can emulate either one, they both work.  Honestly, I don't think elbow positions on the backswing are that high on your priority list, think the focus needs to be on Keys #1 and pretty soon adding some Key# 2.  Key #1 being the pivot stuff, feeling the left shoulder go down longer, stretching out the right side.  Pivot is too level so the club head gets inside the hands and that effects how you load the shaft.  The feeling that I mentioned with the right hand staying "on top" of the left can help steepen the pitch of the shoulders and hips.  Then Key #2, feeling pressure into the left foot on the downswing.  Can go back and forth on the range working on this, 20 minutes on Key#1, switch for 10 minutes and work on Key#2, the go back to Key#1 for 20 minutes and finish with 10mins of Key#2.  Right now your elbow stuff is more of a reaction to the issues with the pivot.

If the picture doesn't change, then for the heck of it, do very slow swings and make it change, even if you miss the ball.  Check out the slow swings I'm making here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/40164/my-swing-mvmac/144#post_831365

Mike McLoughlin

*Update* Played 18 while on vacation. Focused on keeping my right hand on top during the takeaway to avoid getting the club too far inside and noticed a dramatic improvement in ball striking. Hopefully I'll get a change to post an updated video soon...

Just wanted to say thanks again!

• Upvote 1

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

• Administrator

*Update* Played 18 while on vacation. Focused on keeping my right hand on top during the takeaway to avoid getting the club too far inside and noticed a dramatic improvement in ball striking. Hopefully I'll get a change to post an updated video soon...

Good stuff!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just wanted to say thanks again!

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Well, its been a while since I updated this thread, and it appears I need to be spending more time videoing my swing. Thought I was hitting the ball a lot better (certainly noticed better distace)....BUT, still taking the club too far inside....REALLY need to work on ingraining a better takeaway....

Tbh... I don't think you're swinging as far inside as you think... Your camera isn't in the proper position... You need to get the camera lens focused directly down your stance line (feet).  It appears the camera lens is more down the line of the ball.  So while you may be swinging inside, I don't think it is as drastic as it appears in the video.

Try filming again using the appropriate positioning of the camera... Also don't be affraid to move the camera closer to you.  The camera is pretty far back...

Lastly, if you want me to take some video on my camera of your swing here at Costa Mesa, let me know.  I'd be happy to help.

• 1 month later...

So went and had a golf lesson yesterday. He had me work on setup (I continue to stand too tall at address) and my backswing. Had me try to get my hands/club on plane and it felt like i was picking them STRAIGHT UP. Hope to get a video up soon, but want to ingrain the feel a bit more and get comfortable....

• 6 months later...

So, Sunday' round reconfirmed the fact that I need to spend more time working on my swing. Look for a video coming as soon as my back heals up.

Pic (thanks @iacas ) looks like I'm still too upright.

Back to work...

• Administrator
Pic (thanks @iacas ) looks like I'm still too upright.

Tough to say from that angle. Did @mvmac get video of you?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tough to say from that angle. Did @mvmac get video of you?

Not that I'm aware of.....Guess we'll see....

Not that I'm aware of.....Guess we'll see....

Yeah sorry didn't see you on the range. Next time you practice, post a video or send it to me and I'll give you my take.

Mike McLoughlin

Not sure if this helps but a feeling that helped me get the club from not going inside is during the takeawway get the feeling of your left arm almost pushing away from you. Ofocurse it wont actually push away from you this is just a feeling thing. It helped me alot with my backswing (I Still dont have it perfect).