IGNORED

Golfing / Living in Florida

fgsurfcast
Note: This thread is 4135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

I have recently been thinking about making a move down south to Florida.  I currently live in Connecticut, but I'm ready for a change and something new in my life.  I just started playing consistently this year and have been bitten by the golf bug badly.  I can play golf in Florida year round and having no state income tax is attractive.  So here are my questions...

Where is Florida is golf good?  Are there golf "hot spots"?

I would like to become a member somewhere because I plan on playing 6 days a week.  Are there any memberships that are available for a group of golf courses?

Last, but not least, I am not looking for a whole country club package, strictly golf only, and just an individual membership.  Are there golf memberships that are $5,000 and lower per year?

Thanks for the help and hope it can aid me in making a decision!

Originally Posted by fgsurfcast

Where is Florida is golf good?  Are there golf "hot spots"?

Just about everywhere.

Quote:

I would like to become a member somewhere because I plan on playing 6 days a week.  Are there any memberships that are available for a group of golf courses?

In some places, I suppose there may be.

Quote:

Last, but not least, I am not looking for a whole country club package, strictly golf only, and just an individual membership.  Are there golf memberships that are $5,000 and lower per year?

Yes.

Thanks for the help and hope it can aid me in making a decision!

Obviously, I didn't give you much help.  That's because you asked such broad questions.  If I were in your shoes, I would Google such things as "Florida Golf" or "Orlando Golf" or "Tampa Golf" first.  You will find lots more information that way than to ask a blanket question about whether golfing is good in Florida.  Of course it is.

Before I moved down just to golf, I would make sure that I had a job lined up first. The economy is in the toilet here and it is only getting worse. The plus side of that is some clubs are more desperate for business - i am just happy our club stopped offering stupid deals to bring people in - everyone signed up for the deals and bolted once the term was done. You will probably be able to get an opening membership under $5k/year especially if you are under 40 - but you are going to get hit with mandatory cart fees at many of the courses. Honestly, if you plan on playing 6 days a week, you would be better off not joining somewhere - membership is almost never cheaper - it just gives you a place to call home.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in Orlando, and there's tons of great courses here. Cannot speak to memberships, as I'm a muni player.

But I lived in Palm Beach County from 1982-1995, and that's the place I would go if you want good courses & lots of them. At last count there were over 170 of them. In one county .

http://www.palmbeachsports.com/golffacilities

Agree with Harmonious.

Also, there is more to consider when moving than golf. For example, I live in Miami, and golf here is pretty great. Everything from $15 bucks a round goat tracks to Doral, Miami Beach, and The Biltmore. I usually play the spots in between. Miami Springs, Costa del Sol, maybe Melreese/Miami International.

HOWEVER.. If you want to move to Miami, you had better prepare yourself for traffic, complete disregard for proper driving habits/traffic laws, and it would be very valuable to know Spanish, as probably 60-70% of people speak Spanish primarily, including in the workplace as customer service personnel. What I mean is, you have a 50/50 shot of having a real problem getting a haircut or ordering a sandwich if you don't know at least a little Spanish in Miami.

Having said that, I like Miami, and the golfing is great. For a membership at one of the goat tracks, you could probably get away with those for well under 5k a year.

Year round golf is great. I read people in here talking about how they braved the 30-40 degree weather to play today.. I played today, too. I think it was around 82-83 degrees out. In December!!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Originally Posted by meenman

Honestly, if you plan on playing 6 days a week, you would be better off not joining somewhere - membership is almost never cheaper - it just gives you a place to call home.

The above statement couldn't be more wrong.   The more often you play, the more you save by having a a membership of some kind.  (whether it be an annual pass at a public or a private course)  The above statement is pure stupidity...... I don't mean to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

The above statement couldn't be more wrong.   The more often you play, the more you save by having a a membership of some kind.  (whether it be an annual pass at a public or a private course)  The above statement is pure stupidity...... I don't mean to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Rude you are and what makes you think his advise is stupid? Tell us all about the costs of of a membership in Florida compared to playing without a membership, obviously you know what you are talking about.

Actually you are the fountain of misinformation. You have to remember that on most courses down here, walking is generally frowned upon or severely restricted. So 24 x a cart fee plus dues every month will be more than someone who shops around for tee times. On a 5k a year budget, he may be able to save money joining a club for one year, but when introductory deals expire, the costs rise significantly. Yes, it is cheaper per round the more you play at a club - but that does not necessarily make it cheaper than being a free agent,

Follow me on twitter

You have to evaluate how much you play each month to see what the best deal would be.  For me, it works out to about 5 or 6 rounds a month.  Any more than that, the annual membership is a better deal.  Less than that, pay as you go would be better.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

You have to evaluate how much you play each month to see what the best deal would be.  For me, it works out to about 5 or 6 rounds a month.  Any more than that, the annual membership is a better deal.  Less than that, pay as you go would be better.

The OP said he was going to play 6 days PER WEEK.  I'm assuming you must have misread his post?

Originally Posted by eich41

The OP said he was going to play 6 days PER WEEK.  I'm assuming you must have misread his post?

In what way? I said, FOR ME, the break even point is 5 or 6 rounds a month. For the OP, he would have to do the same analysis based on how many rounds he plays and the yearly cost of membership vs pay-as-you-go.

Here in Jacksonville, the golf is good and there seems to be jobs to be had with the proper experience. There are some public courses and munis where you can pay-as-you-play and come out ahead, as well as a group of public courses that have a cooperative "membership" card that allows you to receive discounted rates at their courses. Personally, I'm a member at Hidden Hills Country Club, a private club which has one of the best courses in town; it hosted the Greater Jacksonville Open until the PLAYERS came to town. When I joined, they had an incredible deal: no initiation fee, $195/month for unlimited range balls and golf (I prefer to walk) until age 41, then it jumps to $345 I think. $20 for a cart for 18. Includes unlimited pool, tennis, and fitness center membership, and there is no food minimum. It's definitely been worth it for me, and I love having a home course.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Thanks for the input guys!  The job market in FL does not really pertain to me since I work from a home office.  I think, after reading the responses, I will have to do more research, but it looks like having a golf pass / membership would be most beneficial for me.  I plan on playing 6 days a week and hitting golf balls at the range just about every day.  The only thing that is deterring me from a membership is that it seems most courses are cart only.  I love walking and think it's an integral part of the game.  I would hope that I don't have to forfeit walking (with my push cart) to have a membership.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

In what way? I said, FOR ME, the break even point is 5 or 6 rounds a month. For the OP, he would have to do the same analysis based on how many rounds he plays and the yearly cost of membership vs pay-as-you-go.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption, that if you break even at about 5-6 rounds per month, it will almost certainly be economically beneficial to him as well, considering he'd be playing 4-5 times the number of rounds you play.  Even taking into account variables, I think it's pretty safe to assume he's likely better off with a membership, strictly economically speaking anyways.

Originally Posted by eich41

I think it's a pretty safe assumption, that if you break even at about 5-6 rounds per month, it will almost certainly be economically beneficial to him as well, considering he'd be playing 4-5 times the number of rounds you play.  Even taking into account variables, I think it's pretty safe to assume he's likely better off with a membership, strictly economically speaking anyways.

I would agree. Like you say, there are way too many variables.  The quality of course desired, public or private, other amenities, availability of club tournaments or activities, whether walking is allowed, reciprocal agreements with other courses, projected number of rounds played.

And you have to be realistic about how many rounds you will actually play. Six rounds a week is a LOT of golf. If I expected to play that much, I would make sure the course(s)  I selected offered enough of a challenge that it wouldn't become monotonous after awhile.

5k a year breaks down to approximately 400 a month. I think it is unrealistic to expect to be able to play 24 rounds a month and hit range balls in that budget. the only way to make that budget is to use a site like golfNow.com religiously

Follow me on twitter

Thanks for the input guys!  The job market in FL does not really pertain to me since I work from a home office.  I think, after reading the responses, I will have to do more research, but it looks like having a golf pass / membership would be most beneficial for me.  I plan on playing 6 days a week and hitting golf balls at the range just about every day.  The only thing that is deterring me from a membership is that it seems most courses are cart only.  I love walking and think it's an integral part of the game.  I would hope that I don't have to forfeit walking (with my push cart) to have a membership.

Trust me - in the summer you'll be riding. Many courses do allow walkers, but...well, just trust me. You'll want to ride.

Note: This thread is 4135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!