IGNORED

Preventing Golfers Elbow???

Note: This thread is 4139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There a couple of threads here talking about treating G elbow... ice, stretching, etc.

After ending my second season in a row with a severe case of G elbow (inside, right elbow, RH golfer) I would very much to start a discussion on how to PREVENT it. Yes, I play over 100 rounds a year... but so does everyone in my double foresome. And yet I am the only one crippled by the end of the season. No fun when your grip strength is so weakened you can not push the top on a can of shave cream or your toothbrush falls out of your grip!

Is it my grip?

Grips?  I use sturdy grips, not the soft wrap kind.

No major equipment changes... same driver for years, etc...

Am I decelerating at impact?  Friends say I do not finish as high as I use to. But I think that could be a result of the G Elbow and not the cause???

I have to be doing something wrong???

I have played for more than 15 years and never had a problem until the last 2 years.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem???

I've done a few mini sessions with fitting pro's and they never red flag any particular flaws?

Suggestions???? Thanks

BTW as a NYS golfer I am current in off season...

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

To a large extent it is the same as the recovery program. Stretching, Strengthening, and avoiding irritation. Golfers elbow is caused by a lot more than just golf.  Things like mousing, driving, and pretty much anything where you grip and rotate the arm a lot can cause problems. Most of the time it is no big deal to a non inflamed tendon but if you have problems all those little stresses add up. Dr Greg Rose (the TPI guy) has examples of problems caused by sleeping (http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/ask/qadetail.asp?xid=530).

And then there is the golf specific part. Hitting off matts is bad. Early extension puts a lot of stress on that area. Too tight of grip, same problem.

The bent wrist position while sleeping theory is kind of interesting...

I do use my laptop quite a bit so it too could be a contributing factor...

I am doing some twisting exercises using a foam noodle.

I found the exercises on line... hopefully they may help as well.

Still I worry it is something mechanical I am doing wrong...

Also,

Has anyone found a rub on creme that helps?

Maybe one that doesn't smell awful ???

The best treatment currently available is PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy to actually cures the cause not simply treats the symptoms.  Granted, it is expensive, but if you can afford it or if your insurance covers it, it is the best thing available.

PRP therapy actually helps regrow some of the tendons thereby strengthening your tendon, whereas cortisone shots and other treatments simply reduces the pain.

After you get your PRP treatment, it is vital to follow-up with physical therapy to strengthen your muscles to avoid future injuries.

I would ask your doctor about PRP therapy as soon as possible as the recovery time and physical therapy takes a while.  Hopefully you'll be good to go by the next golf season in NYS.

I had this done at the first sign of G-elbow a while back, and now I am 100% back to normal!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some people say graphite clubs help, though I'd think that would be people who have a left elbow issue as a result of hitting down on the ball too much.  Not sure if it would apply to you.

I can't imagine one that isn't snake oil. At best it will reduce the pain (which is probably a bad thing since it will encourage you to keep on hurting the tendon).

PRP is right at the edge of snake oil and solid science as far as I know. The theory is great but the studies backing up that theory are borderline last i saw.  Some studies have shown that water or whole blood (i.e. less of the supposed recovery agents) had the same or better results.  One theory is that it is the actual needle prick that helps (it causes bleeding to encourage a healing response) not the crap that is injected so it doesn't matter what you inject. That being said there have been some other studies which were more encouraging. A lot of them do have procedural problems. If money was no object, I would do it. It hasn't been linked to anything bad that I am aware of so the risk is low so why not try it.

Quote:

Also,

Has anyone found a rub on creme that helps?

Maybe one that doesn't smell awful ???

My woods and irons, other than sand wedge, are all graphite...

I switched my irons over about 7 years ago... Love the graphite.

I tried the 'jumbo' grips last year for a week or 2...

they never felt right and I found myself constantly flexing my hands like a cat.

Truthfully I never knew the platelet treatment was real...

I thought it was something players faked to cover up juicing...

But I may check around to see if it is available locally...

We have a local AAA hockey team so its possible some doctors are knowledgeable...

I'm not a good  physical therapy patient...

I learned that from rehabbing a shoulder injury...

Of course, my shoulder DID get better.. so I might want to reconsider.

Stretching, Strengthening, along with avoiding tenderness. Golfers elbow is attributable to more than just golfing.

Things such as mousing, operating, and essentially anything wherever you grip and turn the arm lots can lead to problems.

I wish I knew. I've been struggling with a sore left elbow, RH golfer, for a few months. Unfortunately it coincided with lessons, a swing change, entire clubs change and seems to come and go at random. Weird thing is it doesn't usually hurt while I am golfing. Long periods in front of the desk aggravate it. Though I'm not really sure what my problem is. The soreness is more on the outside of the joint with stiffness. Probably more to do with RSI than anything. I played a lot of golf this summer, which included many hours of practice.

Dave :-)

When you spend a lot of time in front of the desk typing on a computer, your wrist is slightly twisted from its natural position.  This stretches your muscle/tendon.  G-elbow is usually the result of an injury/stress cause by this twisting of the elbow.  This may be why your extended time in front of the desk causes pain on your golfer's elbow.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I wish I knew. I've been struggling with a sore left elbow, RH golfer, for a few months. Unfortunately it coincided with lessons, a swing change, entire clubs change and seems to come and go at random. Weird thing is it doesn't usually hurt while I am golfing. Long periods in front of the desk aggravate it. Though I'm not really sure what my problem is. The soreness is more on the outside of the joint with stiffness. Probably more to do with RSI than anything. I played a lot of golf this summer, which included many hours of practice.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Try RICE. Or blood flow stimulation. Great product from Canada. Kingbrand. Check it out [URL]http://www.kingbrand.com/Wrist_Injury_Treatment.php?REF=Boris1011[/URL] Cheers

Note: This thread is 4139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!