IGNORED

Can anyone help me hit from the inside?

Pete
Note: This thread is 4004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am now releasing great through the ball and 90% of my shots are draws which is fantastic considering that I faded the ball for so long. The issue is that the draws are really hooks because I still cast the club a little and start the ball straight which then hooks left. Any great ideas for getting the feeling of hitting from inside to out without redirecting the downswing like Jim Furyk?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really difficult to say without knowing a lot more and even seeing your swing.  One quick suggestion - and I am shooting blind here -  is drop your right elbow- - keep it lower and closer to your body on your downswing...let me know how you get on?

Originally Posted by Pete

I am now releasing great through the ball and 90% of my shots are draws which is fantastic considering that I faded the ball for so long. The issue is that the draws are really hooks because I still cast the club a little and start the ball straight which then hooks left.

Any great ideas for getting the feeling of hitting from inside to out without redirecting the downswing like Jim Furyk?

I am now releasing great through the ball and 90% of my shots are draws which is fantastic considering that I faded the ball for so long. The issue is that the draws are really hooks because I still cast the club a little and start the ball straight which then hooks left. Any great ideas for getting the feeling of hitting from inside to out without redirecting the downswing like Jim Furyk?

If the ball is starting straight and then turning, you already hit it in to out. You need to get the clubface more open at impact.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks billchao. Makes me feel a bit better if my swing isn't over the top.

Thanks benjamindanila. I'll give that a try. No offence to Jim Furyk and Ricky Fowler, I will never be anywhere close to them in terms of ability, but I just don't want to have that loopy type of swing where the club goes straight and up then re-routed back to the inside.

Do you ever try to start your backswing with the right elbow tucked in?

Thanks billchao. Makes me feel a bit better if my swing isn't over the top. Thanks benjamindanila. I'll give that a try. No offence to Jim Furyk and Ricky Fowler, I will never be anywhere close to them in terms of ability, but I just don't want to have that loopy type of swing where the club goes straight and up then re-routed back to the inside. Do you ever try to start your backswing with the right elbow tucked in?

Glad to be of help. A few years ago, I was playing a reliable straight draw. I didn't understand the real ball flight laws and made changes to my swing in an attempt to "correct" my flight. I had to learn to play a push fade for a while. It's just now starting to come around. Anyway, here's the link: http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Another thing you want to check is where you're making contact on the face. If it is more towards the toe, than part of your hook is due to gear effect. Use a dry erase marker or even a Sharpie to mark the ball.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just read the article.

I feel a bit stupid now

I've been trying to hit it more from the inside, with a more closed face, and wondering why it still starts straight!

Hopefully I'll get to the range tonight and try opening the clubface a little.

Thank you...

• 4 weeks later...

Just read the article.

I feel a bit stupid now

I've been trying to hit it more from the inside, with a more closed face, and wondering why it still starts straight!

Thank you...

Other thing is also to try personalizing/customizing your driver to compensate.  Any adjustable driver should be able to help to some degree...

Just read the article.

I feel a bit stupid now

Thank you...

Did it work?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 3 months later...
Yeah it worked. Thank you very much. Now I try to aim the face where I want to start the ball.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah it worked. Thank you very much. Now I try to aim the face where I want to start the ball.

man, if only everyone who has stopped by the sandtrap had been so compliant and easy to learn!  good job bro!!!

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!