Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SloverUT

Trackman shocker..

10 posts in this topic

So my brother and went to a Golfsmith the other day and got to messing around on their trackman system (Or equivalent) and I got a fairly big shock that I was not expecting.  I'll preface this with saying that my brother and I are both of similar build (6'-6'2", 215lbs).  We were both hitting the new D13 Titleist driver and I could not believe the differences in our numbers.  The stat that stuck out to me the most was club head speed.  He was averaging between 115-118mph club head speed and was regularly hitting drives 295-325 yards  (according to their stats).  I was averaging 85-90mph and was barely getting it past the 200 yard mark.

Now this is not a why can't I drive the ball 300 yard thread.  I am just simply amazed that with a similar build our swing speed would be so drastically different.  So that leads to my question..

I can not spot a drastic difference in our swings but what could mechanically be causing such a drastic difference?  I understand that even with similar builds it simply could be genetics or more talent (especially since he is younger by 5 years).  However, barring that, what might be wrong with my swing to cause this issue?

Based on my limited time playing the only thing I can come up with is that he simply has better lag than I do, which is couple a bit by my casing problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

From what I've seen, it's all about sequencing and firing the right muscles at the right time.  Trying to swing harder always reduces my swing speed, so for me it's "smoother is faster".

You should post both swings for comparison. And, its either a TrackMan or it isn't. There are a lot of launch monitors that can give screwy readings, especially clubhead speed. Also, even if you both swing at the same speed, there are a number of factors that can allow him to hit it much farther than you.

Originally Posted by Fried Egg

You should post both swings for comparison. And, its either a TrackMan or it isn't. There are a lot of launch monitors that can give screwy readings, especially clubhead speed. Also, even if you both swing at the same speed, there are a number of factors that can allow him to hit it much farther than you.

I don't know exactly what Golfsmith uses.  It was simply a statistical analysis.  I also realize that even with the same club head speed, we may have different driving distances.  That is why I am only amazed at the difference in the club head speed.  Even if we had the same club head speed, he would hit it farther as I struggle with a decent slice from time to time.  Distances aside, I am only concerned with club head speed as I would think 85-90mph would be a bit slow if I am swinging correctly.

I do have a swing posted in the members swing section.  My brother doesn't frequent this forum so I'd have to video him myself next time we play.

I doubt their analysis is as accurate as a true trackman but the shot patterns I hit were consistent with what I see on the course.

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I don't know exactly what Golfsmith uses.  It was simply a statistical analysis.  I also realize that even with the same club head speed, we may have different driving distances.  That is why I am only amazed at the difference in the club head speed.  Even if we had the same club head speed, he would hit it farther as I struggle with a decent slice from time to time.  Distances aside, I am only concerned with club head speed as I would think 85-90mph would be a bit slow if I am swinging correctly.

I do have a swing posted in the members swing section.  My brother doesn't frequent this forum so I'd have to video him myself next time we play.

I doubt their analysis is as accurate as a true trackman but the shot patterns I hit were consistent with what I see on the course.

I just went and peeked at your swing and I am really impressed.  The first swing from July looks pretty good for somebody who had only been playing for 2 months!  And the more recent swings look 1000 times better than that!  Keep up the good work!

Your thread also mentions that you've started Evolvr, which is great, because that means that Mike and James (or whoever is doing your lessons) will have you swinging with more power before long.

I am not a teacher and therefore know nothing but I will just mimic what mdl told you in your swing thread, which is that maybe you should try a little slower (maybe smoother is a better word?) tempo.  The moment of impact is the only point where the clubhead speed matters, so if you are swinging really fast from the start, maybe you are "wasting" power too soon?

EDIT:  Oh, and also don't worry about what Golfsmith's machine tells you.  It's most definitely not a Trackman, and who knows what the accuracy or precision of that thing is?

How far do the two of you hit it out in the real world?

I can tell from one thing, if you divide your distance by your swing speed, he's getting about 0.3 yards more per mph, meaning he has much better contact than you. If you use that swing speed, and his contact you should be up near 225 yards.

Also, similar builds mean nothing, Dustin Johnson is 6'4" and average 310 yards off the tee in 2012, Rory is 5'8" and averaged 310 yards off the tee.

What would be cool is, test twins. There are some strange things twins can do, i wonder if golf swings are one of them :p

I too watched your video, nice swing for four months in, keep at it. I wouldn't worry too much about the golfsmith experience. I've hit on their machine and have had numbers all over the place. How long has your brother been playing?

We've been playing the same amount of time really.  We work together and one day this past May we just decided to go play and had a blast.  I got hooked but he is much more casual about it.  But from the get go he has been the better golfer.

A check of the Knoxville weather report shows that your fair city is around freezing at most nights recently. Any chance you haven't been able to play / hit balls much recently?

It doesn't take long for  your muscles to "take a nap" in late Fall, and for your swing to be a little off kilter. If this happened in May you should be concerned, but I'm not sure it's a valid winter time worry.