IGNORED

Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?

Tom Shanks
Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Not really wanting to jump in the middle of this battle, but for me it comes down to shot quality and humor!

If someone shows up at the range as you desribed and hits it like a 10 handicap or worse I guess I find humor in that. They literally make me laugh, sometimes out loud. There's no reason to feel anger towards someone like this, they obviuosly enjoy the game enough to buy expensive equipment and support the golf industry and that's a good thing. If they show up all dressed up and can actually hit the ball then I enjoy watching them swing and there is a level of respect there because I know they have dedicated time and energy into the game as I have.

This is funny because I am both of these guys you describe.  I will occasionally show up at the range dressed nice (nice golf pants, shirt, and sweater or vest) and other times I will show up in basketball shorts and a mis-matching t-shirt.  Sometimes I will hit it well and look like I "deserve" to be wearing said nice clothes and other times not so much.  I haven't paid enough attention yet, though, to see if there is any correlation between how well I am hitting it and how I am dressed.  Maybe I should!

I'm still racking my brain to come up with a guy I find annoying on the practice green but I guess here's one:  The guy who removes the little stick out of one hole and basically "claims" it as his own for the time being.  Since most people practice putting the same way ... Hit a few balls towards one hole, then look around for an open one, hit towards that, and so on and so on, I guess I'd say it's a little annoying that one guy decides for himself that the rest of us (for the time being) don't get to use that one.

This would only be really annoying on a busy green and/or if multiple people were doing it, and when I see it, its usually during quiet times.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I haven't paid enough attention yet, though, to see if there is any correlation between how well I am hitting it and how I am dressed.  Maybe I should!

I don't usually dress in golf pants to the range, but I at least wear khaki shorts and golf polo - this time of year, it's usually sweat pants for the cold weather. The way I see it (and this was also told to me when I took a lesson) you should dress in what you would wear on the course. For me, I wear "golf clothes" to the course so naturally I want to replicate that on the range mostly for consistency. There are actual times that I remember that when I would wear full golf gear on the range that I tend to hit it better. It's probably just mental and I felt like I had to be a little more serious.

Also, this forum has threads about should I wear this or should I use that, etc. Most of the responses are "do what you feel like" or "whatever floats your boat." I wouldn't discourage people from dressing how they like or doing what they like especially if it doesn't directly affect you.

As for me, there's not too many things that annoy me on the practice green or the range for that matter. Only thing I can think of is a couple of incidents where some guy gets extremely frustrated and starts cursing out loud, slamming his clubs, and it's only the practice range.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I[quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/63776/most-annoying-people-on-the-practice-green/30#post_793967"] When playing alone, yes. Often I listen to music. But let's just, for the hell of it, say no, I don't.  Still don't get your point.  [/quote] I really don't have a point. I merely mentioned ear bud putting green guy because he makes me giggle out loud. It reminds me of modern day Al Czervik. I get why ear bud guy is on the eliptical, but I would think golf would be best enjoyed by all the senses. Practicing putting isn't a chore that you need to get amped up musically to get through, I wouldn't think.

On the rare occasions that I go to the range, I will dress exactly as I would if I was playing that day (which I usually am, since going to the range when I'm not playing just isn't something I do).  Same thing when I practice short game, and I actually do that sometimes when I'm not playing.  I particularly don't understand practicing in something other than the shoes you wear on the course.  Seeing guys hitting balls in flip-flops cracks me up - talk about an unstable platform to hit from.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

... I get why ear bud guy is on the eliptical, but I would think golf would be best enjoyed by all the senses. Practicing putting isn't a chore that you need to get amped up musically to get through, I wouldn't think.

I'm with you regarding using all of your senses.  Listening to music on the range would actually bother me more than it would help (unless there was a loudmouth right near me or a construction site nearby that would otherwise be MORE distracting.  It takes me away from whatever I am otherwise doing that is boring the heck out of me where I need the distraction (elliptical, jogging, cycling, etc)  Not to mention, the wires themselves hanging down and around me would probably get in the way.

And I don' t like it because it's very anti-social.  But to each his own.

I hate people who come to the practice green and "play" the holes in a rota. I am usually camped at one hole practicing my putting in distance progressions and here comes some dope who wants to "play through"

It's a practice green, dopey, not a miniaure golf course.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

I hate people who come to the practice green and "play" the holes in a rota. I am usually camped at one hole practicing my putting in distance progressions and here comes some dope who wants to "play through"

Funny, somebody camping out on one hole aggravates me, especially if it's busy.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

That isn't "camping", it's called practice.  Practice greens weren't designed to play like a course.  Nothing gives one person the right to use all of the holes.  If the green is full and I'm practicing, you are welcome to join me on the hole I'm using, but not if you are just passing through and there is at least one other hole open.  If I'm using a hole and there are others available, then be my guest to use any or all of them as long as you don't putt balls through the area where I'm practicing.  Say what you will, but I picked a hole which wasn't being used and I have squatter's rights.

Rick

Say, FourPutt, are those rules, which is your known forte,  you are stating about the practice green?  Or traditional modes of etiquette, respectful considerations of others, defensive claims on open lands, or what?  You do make some hard lines about what is permitted, by whom and when, on the practice green.  Although yes, it is all hiding behind the happy smiley face. .  I hope i never hear of the day some annoyed and deranged 'golfer' pulls some nasty weapon from the bag and blasts away at those who deny him his 'rightful' place on the practice green.  The worst i can imagine is some newbie firing a low skulled chip shot into my ankle bone. Ouch.

• Upvote 1

I would say if some of you find yourself getting annoyed on the practice green, I would dare say your mind is not right for the course. Most of the time especially on my friday group nobody even cares about walking on someones line cause this is just the warm up practice area to get your "feel" going not trying to make everything.Most golfers don't undrstand the practice green gets more foot dents in your line than any green on the course.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Say, FourPutt, are those rules, which is your known forte,  you are stating about the practice green?  Or traditional modes of etiquette, respectful considerations of others, defensive claims on open lands, or what?  You do make some hard lines about what is permitted, by whom and when, on the practice green.  Although yes, it is all hiding behind the happy smiley face. .  I hope i never hear of the day some annoyed and deranged 'golfer' pulls some nasty weapon from the bag and blasts away at those who deny him his 'rightful' place on the practice green.  The worst i can imagine is some newbie firing a low skulled chip shot into my ankle bone. Ouch.

What... you think that anyone has the right to any hole or holes on the practice green regardless of others who are already there?  You are the one who has the skewed idea of etiquette and respect for others, not me.  Maybe "respect" has a different meaning wherever you come from.  Did you actually read my entire post or just what you wanted to bitch about.  I never claimed exclusive rights if the green is filled to capacity, but I do believe that I have the right to practice as I want to without interference when there are other holes open to late comers.  If I come to the green when it is already full, I will either ask another player if it's okay to share a hole, or more more likely, I'll find a empty area and stick a tee in the ground to putt to.   In 35 years I've never, ever had anyone comment to me on my practice policies.

And by the way, anyone chipping on the putting green is in the wrong no matter what he's doing.  If there is only one practice green and chipping is allowed, then putting practice should take priority for safety if for no other reason.

• Upvote 1

Rick

Originally Posted by joekelly

Say, FourPutt, are those rules, which is your known forte,  you are stating about the practice green?  Or traditional modes of etiquette, respectful considerations of others, defensive claims on open lands, or what?  You do make some hard lines about what is permitted, by whom and when, on the practice green.  Although yes, it is all hiding behind the happy smiley face. .  I hope i never hear of the day some annoyed and deranged 'golfer' pulls some nasty weapon from the bag and blasts away at those who deny him his 'rightful' place on the practice green.  The worst i can imagine is some newbie firing a low skulled chip shot into my ankle bone. Ouch.

It is called courtesy, something that unfortunately seems to be in short supply, and getting shorter.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Quote:

I hate people who come to the practice green and "play" the holes in a rota. I am usually camped at one hole practicing my putting in distance progressions and here comes some dope who wants to "play through".

It's a practice green, dopey, not a miniature golf course.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

I never said you can't putt to the hole I am using. But not if you are roaming the putting green annoying everybody else who is practicing, or if there are other holes that nobody is using.

It's called etiquette, something that shouldn't have to be put in a rule book.

Bill M

I never said you can't putt to the hole I am using. But not if you are roaming the putting green annoying everybody else who is practicing, or if there are other holes that nobody is using.

if you're using a hole, me, and most other people, won't.   roaming the green makes sense, assuming you're not on a totally flat green, as other holes on the green have will have different lies/angles/undulations.   your version of etiquette seems different than that norm.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I always mark my golf ball(s) with my initials, and only play a certain brand.  I don't find it annoying as much as a little comical... When I practice at one facility here in Orange County - they have a chipping green.  And usually there are 3 to 4 people using it simultaneously.

One day I was chipping, and another older gentlemen was chipping near the hole I was hitting at.  And he had maybe 6 balls, and I had a similar count.  He kept picking up my balls - would look at them with a blank stare, see my initials/marking, and still ask me if that was my ball.   Happened 3 or four separate occasions...  Finally, I closed up shop and went over to the putting green to avoid this character.

At another facility - they have a practice bunker, beside the chipping/pitching green.  There was a younger kid - probably 13 or so??  He was hitting shots from the bunker.  After the 3rd shot or so that I saw him fly across the green - one sailed my head.  I let him know he might want to aim away from people - and hit in a different direction.  The kid apologized, but continued to hit shots at or near me.

My home course has a practice bunker/green next to the parking area.  We were packing our gear one afternoon, when a lady skulled a ball out of the bunker and nailed my buddy's SUV.  Her and her spouse just looked at each other.  No one apologized.  Very respectful, huh?

I usually don't get dressed up in golf apparel to go to the range. Usually it's shorts and a t-shirt unless it;s cold then it might be jeans and sweat shirt. I don't usually like to wear golf shirts etc. until I have to at the course. I must admit though, I have bought some nice Adidas golf pants (on the clearance rack of coarse) from Golfsmith and they are really nice! Plan on wearing those babies as often as possible. Hopefully they will make me putt better!

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

if you're using a hole, me, and most other people, won't.   roaming the green makes sense, assuming you're not on a totally flat green, as other holes on the green have will have different lies/angles/undulations.   your version of etiquette seems different than that norm.

Right, I think I may have inadvertently helped start this argument as well (I seem to be doing that a lot lately - I should really probably log off and work harder ;)) and it's really just a bit of a misunderstanding.  I believe that all of you are right.

Fourputt and Phan are the kind of guys that like to 'camp out' at one hole and practice.  There is nothing wrong with that so long as when the green is busy they have no problem sharing the hole with the rest of us.  Conversely, when the green is not busy, it would be rude of those of us who like to roam around to "play through" them when they are over there minding their own business and we have 5 or 6 perfectly good other holes to use.

On another note:  I went to the range today dressed to the nines to go through a bucket.  (Not on purpose ... I had planned on actually playing after work, but then changed my mind and just went and practiced)  I probably looked like a total tool.

Say FourPutt, you gotten your knickers into a real twist here.  Seems to me that the issue of 'rights' is highly variable, when there is no rule book and no referee. You want, demand, your 'rights' when you are first on the practice green = squatter's rights.  Whatever those rights are in the gentle and exclusive tropics. And you have decided that what one person calls 'camping' is NOT camping but Practice. And you have told us that once you have marked off your territory, that's it.  No one else permitted, without your OK. So, all said, seems to me that your ideas of who can do what on the practice green are in fact rather authoritarian, like an insecure and grumpy  dad telling the youngsters how to behave exp when he, dad, is nearby. Let me tell you this "you ain't in charge". As an interpreter of the rules of golf i have no bitch with you but where folks must get along on a common,  limited and occasionally dangerous ground, check out your own behaviour. Thanks.

Note: This thread is 4121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!