IGNORED

Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?

Tom Shanks
Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by joekelly

Say FourPutt, you gotten your knickers into a real twist here.  Seems to me that the issue of 'rights' is highly variable, when there is no rule book and no referee. You want, demand, your 'rights' when you are first on the practice green = squatter's rights.  Whatever those rights are in the gentle and exclusive tropics. And you have decided that what one person calls 'camping' is NOT camping but Practice. And you have told us that once you have marked off your territory, that's it.  No one else permitted, without your OK. So, all said, seems to me that your ideas of who can do what on the practice green are in fact rather authoritarian, like an insecure and grumpy  dad telling the youngsters how to behave exp when he, dad, is nearby. Let me tell you this "you ain't in charge". As an interpreter of the rules of golf i have no bitch with you but where folks must get along on a common,  limited and occasionally dangerous ground, check out your own behaviour. Thanks.

I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.  It's apparent that you didn't actually bother to read what I wrote.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

I never said you can't putt to the hole I am using. But not if you are roaming the putting green annoying everybody else who is practicing, or if there are other holes that nobody is using.

It's called etiquette, something that shouldn't have to be put in a rule book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

if you're using a hole, me, and most other people, won't. roaming the green makes sense, assuming you're not on a totally flat green, as other holes on the green have will have different lies/angles/undulations. your version of etiquette seems different than that norm.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Right, I think I may have inadvertently helped start this argument as well (I seem to be doing that a lot lately - I should really probably log off and work harder ;)) and it's really just a bit of a misunderstanding.  I believe that all of you are right.

Fourputt and Phan are the kind of guys that like to 'camp out' at one hole and practice.  There is nothing wrong with that so long as when the green is busy they have no problem sharing the hole with the rest of us.  Conversely, when the green is not busy, it would be rude of those of us who like to roam around to "play through" them when they are over there minding their own business and we have 5 or 6 perfectly good other holes to use.

On another note:  I went to the range today dressed to the nines to go through a bucket.  (Not on purpose ... I had planned on actually playing after work, but then changed my mind and just went and practiced)  I probably looked like a total tool.

If the green is busy, I wouldn't even try to to "camp out" and do my practice drills on a crowded putting green. It is a waste of time. But I will stick to my OP that when I am practicing and somebody comes by to play the holes in a "rota" on a relatively empty "practice" green, I reserve my right to be thoroughly annoyed and describe that person as a dope. It is not a miniature golf course, it is a practice green.

As an example, some guys came over from the locker house one day to have a putting contest while I was putting by myself on the practice green. I saw what they were up to so I went over to a hole that was on the perimeter of the green and they went about their game without disturbing me. It's called mutual respect.

Bill M

If the green is busy, I wouldn't even try to to "camp out" and do my practice drills on a crowded putting green. It is a waste of time. But I will stick to my OP that when I am practicing and somebody comes by to play the holes in a "rota" on a relatively empty "practice" green, I reserve my right to be thoroughly annoyed and describe that person as a dope. It is not a miniature golf course, it is a practice green. As an example, some guys came over from the locker house one day to have a putting contest while I was putting by myself on the practice green. I saw what they were up to so I went over to a hole that was on the perimeter of the green and they went about their game without disturbing me. It's called mutual respect.

Yeah ... That's totally fair. Agree with everything you said here.

Originally Posted by phan52

If the green is busy, I wouldn't even try to to "camp out" and do my practice drills on a crowded putting green. It is a waste of time. But I will stick to my OP that when I am practicing and somebody comes by to play the holes in a "rota" on a relatively empty "practice" green, I reserve my right to be thoroughly annoyed and describe that person as a dope. It is not a miniature golf course, it is a practice green.

As an example, some guys came over from the locker house one day to have a putting contest while I was putting by myself on the practice green. I saw what they were up to so I went over to a hole that was on the perimeter of the green and they went about their game without disturbing me. It's called mutual respect.

Which is essentially the same thing I said, but which Mr. Kelly apparently didn't comprehend.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Guys that use an entire basket of range balls on the putting green. Then leave them there and go to the first hole.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Originally Posted by MJK3122

Guys that use an entire basket of range balls on the putting green. Then leave them there and go to the first hole.

People practice putting with range balls?  Am I the only one who finds that strange?  I practice putting with the balls I actually play with so I have the right feel.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1

I

I really don't have a point. I merely mentioned ear bud putting green guy because he makes me giggle out loud. It reminds me of modern day Al Czervik. I get why ear bud guy is on the eliptical, but I would think golf would be best enjoyed by all the senses. Practicing putting isn't a chore that you need to get amped up musically to get through, I wouldn't think.

All I can say is, to each his own.

You have a point that having earbuds in eliminates the sense of sound from the practice - you can't hear the putter making contact withe the ball or the sound of the ball going into the hole. But I know immediately, based on feel, whether it was a good stroke. Don't need that aural feedback.

Hey, it just works for me. I tend to spend more time practicing if I'm listening to music - the time goes by faster. And yes, at times it is a chore, like when working on four-footers. Not exactly the most stimulating use of time, but it's absolutely necessary. So if listening to music keeps me there, then it's worth doing.

I tend to wear golf shorts/pants and a golf shirt and my golf shoes when I go to a golf course. Dont really care if it is to the range or to play a round, its the same reason I wear soccer clothes when I go play soccer, and work clothes when I go to work. they are clothes designed for me to golf in....

I love listening to music when I am practicing, especially when there are people around goofing off or telling stories/yelling. I dont mind that they do those things, because golf is supposed to be fun, but I mind less when I cant hear them. I also find that now when I play without music on, Im distracted less by noise and things around me. Plus, if the fact that I wear bright blue shorts with an obnoxiously pink shirt and hit pink bridgestone golfballs distracts you when we're out on the course (since it seems to impact some people's practice sessions), then you need to spend more time working on your mental game.

As far as things that bother me on the practice green:

- People hitting out of a bunker and skulling their shots at people. I appreciate youre working on the skill, but maybe try that when people arent around, especially if youre being dangerous. Golf balls hurt

- People who take divots on the green

- Chipping on the putting green (only when signs are present advising against the act)

- Hitting flop shots and not repairing your ball marks

- Bringing over a bucket of balls and leaving them on the green when youre finished. Ive often been the guy who will pick up the bucket as the guy is walking away and sarcastically ask if it is ok for me to clean up after them. I understand they think they are being courteous (some of the time) and that they are giving them to someone who might follow them, but grab your bucket, grab your wedge, lift them into the bucket and put the bucket in the rough by the green.

- General courtesy

- I really dont care if people play little games or competitions, again, golf is fun. however, being mindful of where you are and where others are as to not limit or distract other players is key. A prime example of this would be this last season when I was at my home course. I finished my practice on the range and walked over to the practice green to work on a few things. There were 2 kids who played on the local school's golf team, probably each 14 years old. They were challenging eachother in a little game to pick a hole on the green and see who could get Up-and-Down from a series of holes in the fewest amount of strokes. They rotated around the green, varying shot types, and putting out. They were also very conscious of where I was and what I was doing, as to not detract from my experience. If I was putting towards a hole, they would pick a hole where even a missed shot wouldnt interfere with me and they would take a longer route to their next location as to not walk in my line or near the hole I was aiming at. Contrast this with the drunk group of guys in their 40's (again, no issue here, golf is supposed to be fun), who were coming off of 18 and had a bet to settle. They decided it would be a "closest to the pin on the longest putt on the putting green". They loudly hurried to the putting green and found the longest putt and without regard for the 3 of us on the green, putt by all the holes, people, balls on the green and each ran across the green after their shot. It wasnt the game that was an issue, it was the appreciation for another person's golfing experience. It's really as simple as that.

Hopefully that doesnt make me douchy

Originally Posted by MackJL06

- Hitting flop shots and not repairing your ball marks

- Bringing over a bucket of balls and leaving them on the green when youre finished. Ive often been the guy who will pick up the bucket as the guy is walking away and sarcastically ask if it is ok for me to clean up after them. I understand they think they are being courteous (some of the time) and that they are giving them to someone who might follow them, but grab your bucket, grab your wedge, lift them into the bucket and put the bucket in the rough by the green.

Several people have mentioned something like this and I can appreciate it and would totally agree with it.  Thing is, I've never heard of this.  Almost all of the courses that I can think of have a distinctly marked practice green that is for putting only.  Anybody who wants/needs to practice pitching, flop shots, etc, would practice at the short game area if one existed, or at the range if it didn't.  And I have definitely NEVER been to a course that has a bunker alongside their putting practice green.  Of course people are going to use it if it's there.

The one thing I do see frequently is people chipping onto putting greens.  Usually on courses without practice areas near the first tee.  But they are rarely hitting towards anything further away than the nearest hole so they're never bothering me.

Someone practicing Flop Shots on a practice putting green is the most absurd thing I have heard. It would only take one skulled mis-hit to potentially seriously injure someone who is putting. I can't imagine that is actually allowed anywhere. Seems like an obvious lawsuit waiting to happen.

Are we talking realistic game situation flop shots? Or Big Break stlye flop shots? I frequently practice flop shots at my courses practice facility(which is chipping and putting, with the chippers yielding to people putting). A flop shot to me though is what you'd use if you shortside yourself and have 6 feet of rough to 12 feet of green downhill. This rarely requires anywhere near a full swing and only goes about 7 or 8 feet in the air max.

Are we talking realistic game situation flop shots? Or Big Break stlye flop shots? I frequently practice flop shots at my courses practice facility(which is chipping and putting, with the chippers yielding to people putting). A flop shot to me though is what you'd use if you shortside yourself and have 6 feet of rough to 12 feet of green downhill. This rarely requires anywhere near a full swing and only goes about 7 or 8 feet in the air max.

And you practice these flop shots on a Putting green, with others practicing putting? Or on a chipping green?

As mentioned in my post, the course I practice at has one green for both. It is massive and it's acceptable for both putting and chipping. Also, I'm hitting out of the rough with the ball slightly fluffed up and I'm certainly not aiming in anyone's direction.

As mentioned in my post, the course I practice at has one green for both. It is massive and it's acceptable for both putting and chipping. Also, I'm hitting out of the rough with the ball slightly fluffed up and I'm certainly not aiming in anyone's direction.

Hmmm. Ok. Got ya. I'm just not trusting. If I was on a practice green and saw someone attempting flop shots anywhere near my direction, I think I would walk off before I end up like Bode Millers wife.

Haha. Totally understandable. It's a "links style" course and the designers took the term "links style" a little overboard, so the rough is pretty thick and you gotta be pretty agressive to cut through it. Take that along with the insane pin placements and you need to have that shot unless you're. Hitting the green everytime. My buddy's dad is an 8 handi and he played with us a few months back, shot a 96, and said he'd never come back.

Originally Posted by divot dave

The dude that annoys me is the one who shows up to the driving range (a 3rd class range at that) decked out in all of his finest golf gear, hat, sunglasses, matching belt etc... and proceeds to treat the outing as if he were walking 18 holes at pebble beach in a pro-am. Every 10 swings or so... pauses, sits down, nibbles on a little snack, sips some Gatorade, then repeats. Granted, he's not actually doing anything wrong, per se', but it just rubs me as being incredibly "douchey".

To be honest, this guy doesn't bother me much if he's a good player who is just focused and keeping to himself.  However, a version of this guy with the huge staff bag and latest..say... brand new Taylormade equipment that is also decked out in the matching clothing who then proceeds to destroy the grass with fat shots and shanks a couple......that guy bothers me.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!