IGNORED

Advice on golf lessons...

tiger1242
Note: This thread is 4129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently in the process of rehabbing my shoulder (shoulder displasia) and once I get it right I want to take some lessons. I still play a lot of golf with my injured shoulder but I want it to be better before I take lessons.

Anyway, what I'm worried about is that if I get the wrong instructor he is just going to try and teach me a cookie cutter "one size fits all swing", I don't want that. I'm not saying my swing is perfect because it is FAR from it; but I am really looking for an instructor who will take the swing I've built and fix the flaws in it that cause me to be inconsistent. Someone who will tweak fundamental issues in my swing and use what I've already worked on and improve upon that, does that make sense?

So for those of you that have taken, or given lessons, how likely am I to find an instructor like that? Or is every instructor going to have a set swing he thinks is right and try to force it on me?

Okay, my disclaimer: I am not a good golfer now and never have been really, but my parents got me started at a young age and in the last fifty or so years I've had lessons from a number of different pros during my periodic starts and stops with the game. I personally suspect there is only one "general all-purpose basic golf swing." Individual swings that we've developed for ourselves over the years that deviate from that swing are really compounded mistakes that negate one another to varying degrees of success. If you are looking for lessons to help correct some specific issue (i.e. hooking, slicing, etc.) I would expect you could find a pro who could help you make an adjustment within your existing swing. However, if you simply go to them and say "My game sucks and I want to get better." they may reasonably be expected to try to get your swing to more closely resemble that general all-purpose basic swing because that's a good place for most of us to be for real improvement.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Ok I see what you're saying, that makes sense. And I don't mean this as I'm opposed to changing my swing bc I'm not. I would like to think that my swing is a version of what the golf swing is supposed to look like. My thing is if you look at pros, or even look at the best players at your course; their swings aren't all exactly the same, everybody has a little something different. As long as your swing does the things with the club that it needs to do, and does it every time, you don't need a total swing redo to look like a swing simulator. I'm wide open to changing things in my swing, even altering it comepletely, as long as there is a reason. As long as whoever is helping can tell me "I'm moving your ______ here to help you with _______ problem". What I don't want is someone changing things in my stance to fix problems I don't have, just because that's what I'm supposed to do according to whatever

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/the_instructor_quiz_nine_questions_youve_gotta_ask

Also, check out the evolvr service... they are very good at identifying what in your swing needs the most work and going from there.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tiger1242

I'm currently in the process of rehabbing my shoulder (shoulder displasia) and once I get it right I want to take some lessons.

Anyway, what I'm worried about is that if I get the wrong instructor he is just going to try and teach me a cookie cutter "one size fits all swing", I don't want that....

So for those of you that have taken, or given lessons, how likely am I to find an instructor like that? Or is every instructor going to have a set swing he thinks is right and try to force it on me?

A couple of things. If you've had shoulder trouble before, you might look for a golf pro that has worked with people with physical limitations. Sometimes, you can keep a physical injury from returning if you make an adjustment to your swing. Sometimes athletic trainers or physical therapists can refer people to certain pros who can tweak your pain to keep injury away.

Second, ask friends who are good golfers if they know a golf pro that fits what you want in a teacher. Also, look at the web sites of different golf pros in your area. Look for someone who talks about "helping you find your own swing."

Some pros can help you, others can't. A few can't really help anybody. And also, it's a matter of good personality fit between golfer and pro. I've been lucky through the years in coming across some really helpful pros. A couple were good, but we just didn't mesh. Time to move on.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I am looking for exactly the same type of instructure you are. Someone who will work with what I have already and make it better. I think I found one although I have not decided yet to take lessons from him. The reason is that I can only take lessons from him indoors at the golf store, not at a range. In another thread some have suggested it would be good to get lessons, or it didn't matter, if it was indoor as long as there was a good launch monitor, video equipment, etc., all of which this golf store has.

What I found was a guy who is easy to talk to about what I am looking for, he understood. He watched me swing while I was trying different irons and gave me some helpful advice. I had my clubs in the car and he had me get a 7i and I was able to try it against the other irons, there was no hard sell.

Also, cost; lessons at the golf store cost $50 per half hour while at a golf couse the pro shop is charging $150.

A lot to consider before jumping in.

I'll be taking a set of four lessons starting in the next couple weeks. I don't have a choice about the pro since the lessons were a gift from my wife. I'm hoping the pro & I hit it off and that he can help me with the biggest issue of my game which is everything from 150 yds and in, especially around the green.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 4129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!