IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Off and on 15 years... Now serious committed to it to stay in some shape for the last 3 years (doctor's orders)

My current handicap index or average score is: 18.2

My typical ball flight is: Good and high when contact is made cleanly

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Thin/fat shots (excuse the horrible video)

Videos:

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

The problem is that in my backswing I have almost no confidence of trying to keep the plane... I did try to extend the backswing and ended up spraining my intercoastal musle on my left side,

I see a few things you may want to work on:

1. your grip - looks like you are gripping a baseball bat, Get the club more down in the fingers; allows the club to release. You are probably wearing out gloves.

2. tempo - (mind you I didn't say speed), once you set up, you "fire" and your swing is really quick, little transition between backswing and downswing. Take your time especially during practice. Work on your tempo. I started thread on tempo and a lot of people struggle with the same thing. I'm using "Heeeres... Johnny" to help me with tempo.

3. Upper body turn - once you get tempo working and you feel you have more time in you swing, work on getting more twist or turn in the upper body. I think about getting my left shoulder under my head. But don't "dip" or you will  hit it fat.

During your practice have something to work on. If you are swinging incorrectly, doing it over and over again just ingrains a bad swing. I know you're making a video for the us to watch, but you are just hitting one shot after another without much thought to what is going on IMHO.

Nice practice area by the way.

Originally Posted by cooke119

I see a few things you may want to work on:

1. your grip - looks like you are gripping a baseball bat, Get the club more down in the fingers; allows the club to release. You are probably wearing out gloves.

2. tempo - (mind you I didn't say speed), once you set up, you "fire" and your swing is really quick, little transition between backswing and downswing. Take your time especially during practice. Work on your tempo. I started thread on tempo and a lot of people struggle with the same thing. I'm using "Heeeres... Johnny" to help me with tempo.

3. Upper body turn - once you get tempo working and you feel you have more time in you swing, work on getting more twist or turn in the upper body. I think about getting my left shoulder under my head. But don't "dip" or you will  hit it fat.

During your practice have something to work on. If you are swinging incorrectly, doing it over and over again just ingrains a bad swing. I know you're making a video for the us to watch, but you are just hitting one shot after another without much thought to what is going on IMHO.

Nice practice area by the way.

Thanks for the compliment on the practice area. I posted on another thread that I want to get into a more discliplined plan for my practice session.

1. I have lightened my grip considerably. I keep the club in my last 3 fingers (my right hand), and 2 middle fingers (my left hand). I am using the Verdon grip (I used to use cross grip, but kept spraining my knuckles (need my hands for work). I have been fighting off the need to squeeze. It continues today.

2. I am going to search for your article and study it carefully.

3. I need to get more flexible. My fear of reinjuring my intercoastal is one of things I am fighting with right now. I see more stretching in my future.

I am going to need help in setting plans for each session going forward.

I sincerely appreciate everyone chiming in (what a wonderful community!!). Finding Sandtrap.com is probably the best Xmas gift ever.

Question:

Using Erik's earlier advice of taking things down at least 50% and incorporating advice given in this thread, I have started hitting the target almost center mass. I am also releasing the club (almost automatically) a lot faster (I am NOT forcing the action) its just happening.

Is hitting center mass a good thing and a result of improving mechanics? Before I was shanking left (open club face) and missing the target.

Additionally, I am finding that by slowing down both my takeway and sliding my hips forward; I am now naturally dragging the club into the impact area. Is that a good thing?

Final question in this piece: I cannot seeming to figure out how to get a front cam position view for you all to see whats going on. Going to keep trying.

Pointers would be deeply appreciated.

I agrees with the advice about the grip.  Make sure in your right hand, the grip lies in your fingers and the heel pad sits on top of the grip.  Also feel the shoulder turn too shallow, check out this pic and video about the stretch feel

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

I agrees with the advice about the grip.  Make sure in your right hand, the grip lies in your fingers and the heel pad sits on top of the grip.  Also feel the shoulder turn too shallow, check out this pic and video about the stretch feel

Hi Mike. Thank you so much for the insight and advice. I went to the Chamber for a review (with BB Playbook in hand show this advice). I will take video (when it warms up) and try to apply this part of the technique. I agree... I look very upright in terms of my spine angle.

Question: Is this an address/setup issue or am I not getting the dip needed during my rotation?

Trying to grip the club in the fingers (by the way, I really believe I have the wrong sized grips and I have medium grips to put on my clubs) but its difficult. I will admit this publicly: I am so scared of throwing my club on my downswing. Its paranoia sure, but it creeps into my mind at 20%.

I guess I should use the "There is no spoon mindset".

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Hi Mike. Thank you so much for the insight and advice. I went to the Chamber for a review (with BB Playbook in hand show this advice). I will take video (when it warms up) and try to apply this part of the technique. I agree... I look very upright in terms of my spine angle.

Question: Is this an address/setup issue or am I not getting the dip needed during my rotation?

Trying to grip the club in the fingers (by the way, I really believe I have the wrong sized grips and I have medium grips to put on my clubs) but its difficult. I will admit this publicly: I am so scared of throwing my club on my downswing. Its paranoia sure, but it creeps into my mind at 20%.

I guess I should use the "There is no spoon mindset".

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Like literally the club coming out of your hands on the downswing?  Yeah just something you have to learn to try and get over because I've never seen it happen except on some funny youtube videos lol

Latest swing looks better to be, definitely seems to be a longer backswing and the shoulders a bit steeper.  I think the set-up looks good.  You could have the tailbone tucked under you more.  See that you may be sticking your butt out a little too much, can effect body rotation.  Check out this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Like literally the club coming out of your hands on the downswing?  Yeah just something you have to learn to try and get over because I've never seen it happen except on some funny youtube videos lol

Latest swing looks better to be, definitely seems to be a longer backswing and the shoulders a bit steeper.  I think the set-up looks good.  You could have the tailbone tucked under you more.  See that you may be sticking your butt out a little too much, can effect body rotation.  Check out this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

I have a bit more tilt. That reference photo really helped me get a frame of reference.

As for my butt work, I have flat feet and its tough trying to find a happy comfy medium in my posture. Also I am trying to avoid firing my hips and instead trying to slide my hips toward the target and release into the impact zone. Its still work in progress.

You, cooke, and Erik have been extremely helpful. The cool thing about having your own practice chamber is now I can really take my time and get some good fundemental work in. I am releasing the club a bit easier and the club head is moving faster (I can hear the whoosh just after impact). Additionally, my balls are getting painted with the target now. I have had to reinforce my net to keep it from moving as a result of the force of impact.

Oh BIG Question!!

Guys I am so fearful of chicken winging... going back to the reference picture Mike provided in his analysis of my swing, I see a squaring.. I presume as I slide my hips towards the target, my downswing and release into the impact zone will prevent the chicken wing right?

If you are worried about the dreaded chicken wing, tuck a tee in each armpit (up front by your pec muscle) then practice your swing without letting the tees fall out. That forces you to keep your arms close to your body. Some people use a headcover.

Originally Posted by cooke119

If you are worried about the dreaded chicken wing, tuck a tee in each armpit (up front by your pec muscle) then practice your swing without letting the tees fall out. That forces you to keep your arms close to your body. Some people use a headcover.

I have done that... Note that in my first videos how close my left elbow is close to my body (to a point of forcing my right arm to break instead of holding its straightness).

In my most recent video, I have let it loose a bit. Just scared of letting it fly all over the place again (and restraining my intercoastal).

I will go back to that drill.

Geek question time..

This morning I went to the Chamber for about 30 minutes to incorporate everyone suggestions... I seem to be hitting the bullseye very well... on my mishits I am using leaving the club face open.

Is hitting the bullseye a good indicator of progress or is it a fallacy?

At that short of a distance hitting the bullseye really only shows where you were pointing the clubface at impact. Hitting into a net gives you the opportunity to work in things without worrying about where the ball goes.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

At that short of a distance hitting the bullseye really only shows where you were pointing the clubface at impact. Hitting into a net gives you the opportunity to work in things without worrying about where the ball goes.

Colin,

Thank you. I noticed something that I am trying to correct.

As noted previously, my backswing is a bit abbreviated (not being 90* to the target). When I do try it, I seem to lose control of the club. I do slide my hips forward to start the weight shift, but I feel like I am losing control of my club.

Grip pressure change perhaps?

Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!