IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hmmmm

I was just looking at Phil Mickelson.

3 things I noticed:

1. He seems to fire his left hip towards the target (I try to slide my hips... I dont think that is good right?)
  2. Now I really understand what everyone has been saying... Turn my back to the target and get the club up high and cock the wrists naturally .
  3. Right before impact his trail foot comes up and he is still rotating... omg I am long way away from that...

Now I have some real things to work on in terms of controlling my body during my swing.

Interesting.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Oh BIG Question!!

Guys I am so fearful of chicken winging... going back to the reference picture Mike provided in his analysis of my swing, I see a squaring.. I presume as I slide my hips towards the target, my downswing and release into the impact zone will prevent the chicken wing right?

Good drill to start and get rid of the chicken wing.  Push into the right thumb, for a lefty, with the left hand.  I know you're referring to the downswing chicken wing but I think this will help.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go outside where you're not going to hurt anything if you do let go of the club, take a bunch of long 90` swings, swinging hard, i bet you don't let go of the club.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Good drill to start and get rid of the chicken wing.  Push into the right thumb, for a lefty, with the left hand.  I know you're referring to the downswing chicken wing but I think this will help.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Hi Mike,

Is this a bit better?

Guys better?

Looks good to me.  Can even have the left elbow come a bit more off the side.  Looks a little too connected, there should be some space, 3-4 inches from the elbow to the rib cage.  Check out this post http://thesandtrap.com/t/54404/my-swing-beachcomber/252#post_782934.

But it depends on your mobility and what works for you.  More importantly, how's it feel to you?  I like that the right arm is loading more, ascending higher than some earlier videos.

Mike McLoughlin

Looks good to me.  Can even have the left elbow come a bit more off the side.  Looks a little too connected, there should be some space, 3-4 inches from the elbow to the rib cage.  Check out this post http://thesandtrap.com/t/54404/my-swing-beachcomber/252#post_782934.

But it depends on your mobility and what works for you.  More importantly, how's it feel to you?  I like that the right arm is loading more, ascending higher than some earlier videos.

Glad you asking about my feel. Its starting to feel somewhat natural. I am going to have to get a wee bit more flexible to get my hands into the sweet slot spot on my backswing. I actually land the ball just below center mass.

I got hip rotation (took out a lot of slide to the target), but I am very inconsistent in rolling my wrists at impact to close the face. I believe it is a coordination and timing issue.

I am now trying to work that out by going at 15% swing speed so that I can:

• Get my tempo from takeaway to impact to follow through
  • Letting my hip rotation be the lead/signal to start my downswing
  • Keep rotation through the swing (my latest video (being edited just for swings)). My latest video shows a hesistancy at impact (its like I am waiting to strike the ball with my club before I finish rotation)

I do feel less stress on my body (especially my left intercoastals) as I feel like gravity is forcing my club release (but again I am losing control of the face closure).

Here is a link to the video: http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?v1=10906-1

I hope the link works... eek!

By the way, that drill that shows me the full extend of my backswing positioning REALLY REALLY helped me tremendously. All these years, I had been going to a half backswing. YIKES!

Ok.. I told a tale (at least for today).

It did not feel good... Seems like I need to increase my flexibility. I tried today to get to that idea 37* Shoulder turn that will incur if I adopt a 90* right shoulder line up with my address. I am so stiff. I knew  that in today's session I just could not get my hands to that slot position because of my inflexibility.

Should I adopt yoga and then to return to fixing my swing mechanics?

Ok.. I told a tale (at least for today).

It did not feel good... Seems like I need to increase my flexibility. I tried today to get to that idea 37* Shoulder turn that will incur if I adopt a 90* right shoulder line up with my address. I am so stiff. I knew  that in today's session I just could not get my hands to that slot position because of my inflexibility.

The left image is the drill Mike recommended, the right is an actual shot.

Should I adopt yoga and then to return to fixing my swing mechanics?

Seems like at the top of my swing, I lose complete of my club.

Move the left foot behind a few inches and make sure it's turned out.  I'm not saying to widen the stance.  See if those changes do anything to the mobility.

Mike McLoughlin

Wow, this is really disappointing. Tstrike34, love your passion for the game and your desire to swing the club better. Total respect! but man, the level of coaching coming back to you is......um , a little thin (cooke excluded). Mvmac.......you want tstrike to move his back foot back 2 or 3 inches?? you got to be joking. You want him to read the label on a coke bottle? and that's going to improve his swing??? I just find that really disappointing . Tstrike, dont get me wrong, I'm not attacking you or your desire to swing better, but really Mr wedlick and the coke bottle??? WTF

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by logman

Wow, this is really disappointing. Tstrike34, love your passion for the game and your desire to swing the club better. Total respect! but man, the level of coaching coming back to you is......um , a little thin (cooke excluded). Mvmac.......you want tstrike to move his back foot back 2 or 3 inches?? you got to be joking. You want him to read the label on a coke bottle? and that's going to improve his swing??? I just find that really disappointing . Tstrike, dont get me wrong, I'm not attacking you or your desire to swing better, but really Mr wedlick and the coke bottle??? WTF

I'll address logman's post but I'm doing it for other people viewing this thread, not for logman, since he clearly hates anything Erik or I say and doesn't offer any advice of his own. I have no problem with questions or criticism but the lack of respect is uncalled for.

If a player has trouble making a big enough turn I think it's fine to move the trail foot back to help that player rotate more.  I'm just trying something with the set-up that might help.  If it doesn't then we can try something else, but my default is to go to the simplest solution possible.

I shared the video for the "stretch" example Dave provides.  It's a great feel and if a player moves their head too much on the backswing, the Coke drill can be very useful.

Mike McLoughlin

With the left foot flare adjustment, the swing is much easier to execute. You might want to verify my angle, but its an easy 10* improvement. My feel is much better on my back; however, I feel like dipping my right shoulder. What is truly incredible is the POWER I am now generating with little forcing from my arms, intercoastals, and pectorals. Its like they are along for the ride while my hips, gluts, groin, and quads are doing the work (a wee bit sore from not stretching).

I am getting better with each session. This Xmas gift (the Net) and you guys help has really made me want to work on my mechanics to get better (I am a IT Exec and former programmer, so technical geeky stuff is my forte and love).

Here is a video  ( 2 swings later than the picture) for you guys to play with and critique.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?v1=10938-205&v2;=10939-74

I am very grateful and thankful. This is somewhat addicting!!

• Upvote 1

Here is the real challenge...

Taking it from the Chamber to the range... I am kinda excited, but I really do not want to get my hopes up too high.

With the left foot flare adjustment, the swing is much easier to execute. You might want to verify my angle, but its an easy 10* improvement. My feel is much better on my back; however, I feel like dipping my right shoulder. What is truly incredible is the POWER I am now generating with little forcing from my arms, intercoastals, and pectorals. Its like they are along for the ride while my hips, gluts, groin, and quads are doing the work (a wee bit sore from not stretching).

I am getting better with each session. This Xmas gift (the Net) and you guys help has really made me want to work on my mechanics to get better (I am a IT Exec and former programmer, so technical geeky stuff is my forte and love).

Here is a video  ( 2 swings later than the picture) for you guys to play with and critique.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?v1=10938-205&v2;=10939-74

I am very grateful and thankful. This is somewhat addicting!!

One more thing... I fixed that right foot lift (Left Image) ... It caused me to leak power and release on the downswing.. *snickers*.. Look at me, I sound like a PGA Instructor LOL

Its been Xmas and I needed to take a couple of days off to let my body rest.

This week I plan to work on form and contact. I did get a Swingbyte for Xmas, but I rather depend on video and you guys trained eyes. Playing around with it (10 swings only) does seems to record swing speed ok. The other gobbly stuff I dunno yet (but being a nerd, it intrigues me).

I remember on another thread Erik was saying not to completely trust the device, so I am rolling with what he says.

The foot flare is working great, but I need to cock my wrists a tad bit more and really get into the downswing (and avoid casting).

I will update throughout the week. Thank you guys so much, this is really a lot of fun.

Oh one quesiton... on my backswing... did anyone notice how close the club is my head? Isn't it supposed to be about an inch above my head parallel to the ground?

The foot flare is working great, but I need to cock my wrists a tad bit more and really get into the downswing (and avoid casting).

I will update throughout the week. Thank you guys so much, this is really a lot of fun.

actually, i dont know that you do need to cock the wrists more.  looks like plenty of wrist cock at the top in those pics you posted.  when you come down, feel like the pressure of your trigger finger (for you, left hand) is increasing as you reach the ball and that will help with casting.

Oh one quesiton... on my backswing... did anyone notice how close the club is my head? Isn't it supposed to be about an inch above my head parallel to the ground?

you have a bit of an overswing.  your right arm appears to be bent (it should be straight) and the left arm looks over flexed (more than 90) - feel as tho you are pushing the palm of your left hand into your right thumb at the top, or that you are trying to keep the left arm straight as well, that will help with the overswing, and keep the club farther away from your head.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

you have a bit of an overswing.  your right arm appears to be bent (it should be straight) and the left arm looks over flexed (more than 90) - feel as tho you are pushing the palm of your left hand into your right thumb at the top, or that you are trying to keep the left arm straight as well, that will help with the overswing, and keep the club farther away from your head.

Yep, good advice

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!