IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am having a " Welcome Back Kotter " moment reprising the role of Horseshack ( oo oo ooo Mr Kotter!! *raises hand* )

After I posted the videos and reviewed them, I went out for 5 more shots....

Each one was dead on the bullseye and hinging my left wrist for my takeaway allowed me to have my full shoulder turn (video 141 really clues me in).

I really think I am getting the gist of the 5 Swing Keys. Still more work to do.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Your head looks pretty steady in Video 141... One thing I see is your left arm is bending quite a bit.  So much so that the shaft at the top of the back swing nearly lays across your back (A4).

Have you tried taking shorter back swings to keep the club shaft on plane?  Maybe try swinging 1/2 swings and filming it.  What feels like half swings... I bet you would have better / more consistent contact and would be surprised at how it cleans up your geometries on the back swing.

EDIT: I just watched Video 140... And your swing looks much shorter than 141.  Was this intentional?  Looks like your tempo is really fast on the back swing.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I think your tempo might be a little too quick as well.

I tried the "Here's Johnny thing.." Perhaps I need to count to myself... Any tips or ideas on the mental aspect of tempo?

Try taking your backswing to the top and pausing for 1 second, then do the return swing. make sure all your steps are in order.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Your head looks pretty steady in Video 141... One thing I see is your left arm is bending quite a bit.  So much so that the shaft at the top of the back swing nearly lays across your back (A4).

Have you tried taking shorter back swings to keep the club shaft on plane?  Maybe try swinging 1/2 swings and filming it.  What feels like half swings... I bet you would have better / more consistent contact and would be surprised at how it cleans up your geometries on the back swing.

EDIT: I just watched Video 140... And your swing looks much shorter than 141.  Was this intentional?  Looks like your tempo is really fast on the back swing.

You are right about that... I need to really slow the down... on the 5 swings after (took about 30 minutes after) I held my backswing off for 2 seconds and then started my downswing... I was clocking in at 75 MPH (of course is was with Swingbyte)... And I was either fading or going straight.

Gotta admit, I am getting happy... when I get happy, bad things happen.

Try taking your backswing to the top and pausing for 1 second, then do the return swing. make sure all your steps are in order.

On  point... I am now holding off 2 seconds so that I can set my body (and mind) for weight forward. I took half swings so that I can work up to full swings. Tomorrow's session will focus on just those things...

Thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry Beach, forgot to answer your question. I used the Coke bottle example that both Erik and Mike provided in about 20 earlier (unrecorded) swings during this session. That really steadied me, and me focused.

I really think I am getting the gist of the 5 Swing Keys. Still more work to do.

Great to hear!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ok so lets talk through this.

Today I had probably my best session ever... Unfortunately its great weather, but work and family took away any chance of getting range work in (for even a fricking hour mind you).

Today was the first time that I did not miss the target. My swing speed increased to about 76MPH thanks using the 5SKs drills. My timing is still a bit off in terms of putting everything together, but I feel much better.

I have to work on tempo, tempo, tempo... That will be my goal this evening (a brief session in the Chamber). My best swing of the day was deadon bullseye clocking in at 76MPH. I am still playing with my grip trying to get it in the fingers and out of my palm. One other thing, my feet are now getting pretty quiet now. Is that a good thing?

If your feet are getting quite, that is a good thing.  Means you are getting better balance.  Check out this video on the pivot.  You can see how the feet/legs/hips move.

I know we are going through a progression here and I am being patient.

I was reviewing the video that Beach provided in the post above when I noticed other videos suggested. So I checked out the lag video.

My questions:

• I am maintaining an L shape on my backswing (by my left hand wrist break which starts my backswing).. I am confused about the release at 9 o'clock position on my downswing. Is that something that is initiated by me or does it happen naturally as I transfer my weight forward?
  • The feedback from today's session now produces a fade (versus a slice). I have a picture of Erik's weight transfer drill in my head to include his position at impact. From what I saw on the target in my net, I am delivering higher velocity shots (the impact of the ball on the target was so loud that the neighborhood cop came to my garage). I am wondering if I should move my hitting mat back a bit?
  • I am trying to hold my right wrist and arm straight through impact, but I seem to be still coming in too steep (I am making contact however). Is the steepness related to my very poor tempo?

New video with probably my best swing to date. I am still working on slowing down so that I can have better tempo. One thing regarding tempo: If my tempo is 4 seconds or less (from backswing to impact) I am slicing the crap out of the ball with little club head speed. If I slow down, my club seems to get faster at impact.

However, I am still kinda out of control. Enough babble, here is the video.

In response to Beach's earlier query:

Here is a comparison between 5 days (left is today, right was 5 days ago):

A bit of a break down on the right arm and the left is getting away from your body. (red shirt photo).  I would shorten your back swing.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone.

First things first, thank you all for chiming and really helping me with my swing. I am deeply appreciative.

Today's range session was about tempo and trying to put my Swing Keys together. To be candid, it went ok. I am still trying to work on my takeaway and my tempo. When my tempo was really good (about 7 seconds from club to impact), I have been really making great contact and release at impact (especially with my weight forward). Primarily used a AW and PW to work on my tempo. The flag today at the range was measured at 98 yd to Center with 115 far and 82 near (Wind was in my face at a gentle breeze of 6-7mph according to the clubhouse).

I was drilling on the range. On my successful shots I was able to land very close to the pin. On other shots I was coming in either behind the ball or extremely steep. Evidence was found in two ways:

• Tee in Ground: I can see where my club initally impacts. On my misses, often times I found that my club impact was exactly a ball length behind my ball and the tee.
  • Deep Divots: At times I would try to flip the ball (to close the clubface) and would take an usually deep divot

I think I am going to see if I can get some film in my garage (where the Net is) to see if I can really detect my flaws. I will try to post new film.

Again folks, thank you sincerely.

A bit of a break down on the right arm and the left is getting away from your body. (red shirt photo).  I would shorten your back swing.

A little confused. Here are shorter swings made today with a shorter back swing at 60%. Working on Tempo, still in progress.

Your body looks like it sways and rotates some with your swing, it is hard to tell with the angle and speed of the swing. Your hips slightly rotate counter clockwise on the backs swing. I dunno maybe you need to be patient but try to limit the hip twist. The swing looks better though. Try putting a glove in your left rm pit during you swings next time you are at the range.

• Upvote 1

Your body looks like it sways and rotates some with your swing, it is hard to tell with the angle and speed of the swing. Your hips slightly rotate counter clockwise on the backs swing. I dunno maybe you need to be patient but try to limit the hip twist. The swing looks better though. Try putting a glove in your left rm pit during you swings next time you are at the range.

Hi Valley,

I was wondering if I needed to hold my hips whilst my trunk and shoulders are turning into the backswing. On the range, my tempo was way better. Got back home, it was rather quick.

I did detect a flaw in my backswing as well: I had no 90* and looks like I started casting again (I perhaps casted a few times on the range as well).

Thank you so much for your help.

Note: This thread is 3409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!