IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Help... I cant seem to get lower without falling over the ball... I have new videos that will get posted in the next 30 minutes or so.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Hi folks. Here are some post drill videos from today's session. I am still struggling with a couple of things:

• Getting my right shoulder down. I am getting more limber, but there is some way to go.
  • Tempo is much better. After these videos, I started slicing again.
  • My brace foot is starting to move...

you seem to have much more power now compared to the first videos.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by logman

you seem to have much more power now compared to the first videos.

I have a 11 - 15 MPH swing speed increase. I am now fighting off casting... Man that is uber hard....

If I keep my wrist cock and release it before impact, its frigging EXPLOSIVE. Its WAY less effort... But the hard part is timing and coordination.

I so want to whip it like Tiger, but we know what happens when you do that (See Tiger's knee problems).

Your left arm is breaking down during ball striking and follow through is off. You actually looked better in previous swings. I think I would get you a little more upright and stop bending that left arm through the swing. You're losing a ton of power there.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Beach,

I misled you. I am using the 27/9 tempo tone.

Guys I am fighting something right now with my swing. I will get some video on it tomorrow, but I am casting badly. I think I know why I am doing it, but I am confused on when does my wrist cock get released.

It seems like I need to slow down my rotation to the target so that my hands catch up.

*Scratches head*

Here is the thing... from a relaxed and flexed position (not really addressing the ball) I can cock my wrists and swing thru the ball hitting the ball straight. When I address the ball, all sorts of bad things happen.

What gives?

tstrike34, Have you shown a face on view before so we can get a look at your grip? From from the DTL view it looks like the left hand is a little weak. Might be something easy you can fix in the short term.

Michael

I am going to try to get face on view video tomorrow. I have a couple of space and technical challenges. But I will give it a shot.

Funny you key on that.... I have been fighting with grip pressure issues for awhile...

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Beach,

I misled you. I am using the 27/9 tempo tone.

Guys I am fighting something right now with my swing. I will get some video on it tomorrow, but I am casting badly. I think I know why I am doing it, but I am confused on when does my wrist cock get released.

It seems like I need to slow down my rotation to the target so that my hands catch up.

*Scratches head*

Here is the thing... from a relaxed and flexed position (not really addressing the ball) I can cock my wrists and swing thru the ball hitting the ball straight. When I address the ball, all sorts of bad things happen.

What gives?

27/9 is fine.  As long as you feel comfortable.

Regarding the casting piece... You release the wrist cock (club head lag) once the handle returns to the trail leg thigh area.  For reference, refer to Hogan's swing sequence...

Bottom Row, 2nd frame - you can see he has a lot of lag when the hands are outside the thigh... But as his hands reach the thigh in the third frame - on the bottom row - you can see he is releasing the 2nd Power Accumulator - and firing into the impact area.

You know Hogan hasn't casted - or thrown away energy as his shaft is forward leaning in the third frame.

Here is a good drill to do - to eliminate casting...

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Hi folks. Here are some post drill videos from today's session. I am still struggling with a couple of things:

Getting my right shoulder down. I am getting more limber, but there is some way to go.

Tempo is much better. After these videos, I started slicing again.

My brace foot is starting to move...

There is one thing that stands out to me, and that is a lack of extension at and after impact.  You kind of pull your arms back up into your body as you follow through.  I think you lose a lot of power there.

I'm not sure what the cure is, however, because I have the opposite problem.  (I extend early :))

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

There is one thing that stands out to me, and that is a lack of extension at and after impact.  You kind of pull your arms back up into your body as you follow through.  I think you lose a lot of power there.

I'm not sure what the cure is, however, because I have the opposite problem.  (I extend early :))

Exactly... I am not getting any type of extension through the ball... I think one of things is that I am scared of hitting the garage door opening just above...

Weird huh?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

27/9 is fine.  As long as you feel comfortable.

Ok on tempo.

In paying attention to tour tempo, I finally found a pre-shot routine that I am comfy with.. As for tempo, I use the voice tempo so that I can say to myself (more like think it to myself).

Swing, Set, go thru.

In working on tempo, I am starting to build confidence in my timing. I do not feel rushed; however, I need to still slow down a bit.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Regarding the casting piece... You release the wrist cock (club head lag) once the handle returns to the trail leg thigh area.  For reference, refer to Hogan's swing sequence...

Bottom Row, 2nd frame - you can see he has a lot of lag when the hands are outside the thigh... But as his hands reach the thigh in the third frame - on the bottom row - you can see he is releasing the 2nd Power Accumulator - and firing into the impact area.

You know Hogan hasn't casted - or thrown away energy as his shaft is forward leaning in the third frame.

Here is a good drill to do - to eliminate casting...

Hey Beach,

The video you linked to is excellent. I did a side by side comparison and found something.

Its seems like I am over rotating my shoulder on my downswing and through impact .... (arrrgh)

Cant wait for tomorrow to work on this piece. Also looks like I need to review Erik and Mike's video on Swing Key Weight forward.

Interesting indeed.

Hey folks...

I know its been awhile, but wanted to update on how things are going.

I took a break for a little bit because I felt a slight groin pull (right groin) + slightly dislocated the knuckle in my left ring finger. So I took time off + Mardi Gras.

Things I am working on:

1. Tempo - Smooth, even takeaway, coordinated driving downswing with a even release through the impact zone. Trying to avoid flipping the ball.
  2. Quieting my feet. I reported sometime ago that my feet got quiet. They are back noisy as I am trying to slide and rotate my hips into the impact zone.
  3. Follow through. As many of you know, I have compiled a lot of tape during this journey... My follow through and extension is starting to bug the out of me. I will work on this last as other pieces fall into place.

I am really trying to take things in small pieces and do those things very well. Very, very well. I will have new video tomorrow.

Yesterday was a sign of good things and bad things with my swing in which you all are helping me with.

The Good:

• 5SK works!
  • I hit some beautiful drives early on.
  • Beautiful 8 Iron from 155 away to land 12 feet from the cup (Par 4)
  • Beautiful AW from 105 to 6 feet from the cup (Par 3)

The Bad:

• I just cant seem to deal with overcrowded courses
  • Hit too many balls in warmup. Hit 50 balls in the garage and 25 balls on the range. I got tired...

The Ugly:

• Lost my rhythm and never got it back after a very errant and embarassing tee shot (hit a old man in the driving range)
  • Swaying ... crossing across the ball
  • Lost my swing picture in my head
  • Poor gripping probably led to most of my problems yesterday

Time for more work and film study.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the disabled list.... Pulled groin... I overswung and paid the price. Doctor says massage and 1 - 2 weeks rest (plus ice) with no swinging...

On the plus side, I change grips to winn grips .... and I got uber happy.... No need for gloves

Hey mate good news on the swing........bad news on the injury.

I've heard that as a home remedy a combination of sports linament, tea tree oil and toothpaste, rubbed on to the groin area is really good for sprains and soft tissue injuries etc.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by logman

Hey mate good news on the swing........bad news on the injury.

I've heard that as a home remedy a combination of sports linament, tea tree oil and toothpaste, rubbed on to the groin area is really good for sprains and soft tissue injuries etc.

Thanks Logman...   Its quite painful... I am scheduled for a deep tissue tomorrow... The sprain on on the high point of the groin...

I have to admit... I really swung incorrectly and moreover, without good warmup... I stupidly figured that after a good session yesterday, that I can just go out and proceed from whence I had finished yesterday...

Utterly foolish.

On the positive front, I went to my pro and worked on my grip. So while I am resting (pending out my deep tissue works out my sprain), I will work on grip and grip pressure.

Note: This thread is 3388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!