IGNORED

How to handle slow players?

schalk
Note: This thread is 4081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the other day while playing local cluub competition,we had 3 four balls in front of us. We had to wait about ten minutes on each hole. we did contact the club so that theyy send out someone to speed things up for us but to no avail. we played 18holes in 7:30 hours!!!! The marshall told us that they booked those spots for their own competition ,i think the club should allocate them to the last spot on the day.

That's ludicrous. As far as how I'd handle it? idk...if it's the club managements own little soiree then i guess you're S.O.L...not much can be done except tell them you'll not be playing there again, but they probably won't care.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7.5 hours is way too long !

I will DQ myself if the game cannot be completed within 5 hrs .

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Originally Posted by schalk

the other day while playing local cluub competition,we had 3 four balls in front of us. We had to wait about ten minutes on each hole. we did contact the club so that theyy send out someone to speed things up for us but to no avail. we played 18holes in 7:30 hours!!!!

The marshall told us that they booked those spots for their own competition ,i think the club should allocate them to the last spot on the day.

Wow looks like poor management on behalf of the club. I agree with the other posters, 5 hours is max (even if folks are hacking things up).

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

This new pace-of-play program will be great to send to this golf course.  Our website will be launched in early January.

Front and back cover of Play 240 GOLF etiquette rules card.

7.5 hours is defintely cause to walk off and go home . . .with a quick stop by the proshop to compain and ask for a refund.  If a refund is given, fine.  If not then I would never return PLUS I would create negative reviews on Golf Now, Yelp or anywhere else I think others might notice.  I'm under no illusion that writing negative reviews will bring thier business to a halt or anything . .but it always makes me feel better.  I, for one, do read the reviews of courses on the web and it does factor into my decision of whether to play a particular course or not.

btw - I love the 240 Golf idea.  I pretty much love anything that encourages faster play without me personally having to complain to somebody.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by lville lefty

This new pace-of-play program will be great to send to this golf course.  Our website will be launched in early January.

I'm glad to see efforts being made, but that being said, what makes you think it will be at all successful? Slow players tend to think it's their right to play slow (and many think they already play quickly), and fast players are already fast.

I'm hoping there's a good answer to it, and that's why I'm asking.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the other day while playing local cluub competition,we had 3 four balls in front of us. We had to wait about ten minutes on each hole. we did contact the club so that theyy send out someone to speed things up for us but to no avail. we played 18holes in 7:30 hours!!!!

The marshall told us that they booked those spots for their own competition ,i think the club should allocate them to the last spot on the day.

How would I handle it?

NEVER go back to that course.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm glad to see efforts being made, but that being said, what makes you think it will be at all successful? Slow players tend to think it's their right to play slow (and many think they already play quickly), and fast players are already fast.

I'm hoping there's a good answer to it, and that's why I'm asking.

Iacas, thanks for asking.  Believe me, I fully understand the challenge.  Telling a golfer they are slow has little or no effect on their pace-pf-play.  240 GOLF is a comprehensive plan to address slow play and the first to organize golfers and golf courses.  Unlike other efforts which have been top-down, this program gives golfers an effective way to communicate good pace-of-play etiquette with other golfers.

Once the website is live I will be posting more information about the program.  We will be attending the PGA Show next month to introduce 240 GOLF and start the process of enlisting golf course participation.  In the meantime here is a short article that addresses your comment about how golfers rate their pace of play.

I kinda of see what Iacas is saying (I think, anyway - not trying to assume or put words in his mouth) . . I've played at courses where the suggested time limit per hole is printed right on the score card . .and another where there was a big sign in every cart that read, in captial letters, "PICK UP THE PACE" with an explanation of pace of play below - and have experienced brutally slow play at both of them.

Still - I support anything that raises awareness of the issue.  What I would really love to see is course marshalls enforcing pace of play.  I have seen it a few times but it's exceedingly rare.  I think that's probably the only thing that will ultimately work . . . a lot of people will break rules that they know are never enforced.

thanx for all the responses,but the course im talking about is my home course. so its actually a bit sad! and all the other courses is a bit far away to go and play for me. but yes i still think that is the responssibility of every player to check his playing time and that of the marshall on the course. Are you alloweed to ask for your greenfees back that day?

thanx for all the responses,but the course im talking about is my home course. so its actually a bit sad! and all the other courses is a bit far away to go and play for me. but yes i still think that is the responssibility of every player to check his playing time and that of the marshall on the course.

Are you alloweed to ask for your greenfees back that day?

sure. you can ask for a refund, but the course is under no obligation to do so.

since this is your "home course," is it safe to assume you have at least a casual relationship with the men/women in the ProShop? if so, you might bring this specific incident to their attention, and evaluate their response. if it's not satisfactory, maybe take the issue to the Club Pro or management to see if they can work to resolve the issue.

just my $.02

7.5 hours I'd leave at the latest at the turn and never come back. I generally move aside and chip and pitch. Great way to get short game practice. Or work on the e-mail inbox or read on the smartphone but this takes me out of my focus sometimes.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Why didn't you walk off and ask for your money back?  I have never been exposed or even heard of a round taking more than 5 1/2 hours.   7 1/2 hours, that ludicrous!!

Butch

i think i will go to the next golf club meeting and raise some qeustions there as well. here in SA we are using a handicap network system thats linked to all the courses. im going to suggest to them i they cant implement a small program that before you start you input your tee off time and when you finish we normally swipe our cards to input our score. so even then it can track your playing time. the the clubs can have access to all the slow players,and the clubs can also see if their regular players are playing slow!!

Dude, no offense, but it's really not that hard to pass these three groups after you realize how slow it is. I can guarantee you it was wide the F open beyond that first four ball after about an hour of your waiting.

When you finish the 18th hole, you just go back to the holes you skipped. I do this all the time at my home course, and none of the marshals care. If any marshals question you, it's easy to explain the situation to them. I've never had one not understand.

There you go, I just saved you three hours of your life. Come on, man. Seriously. 7.5 hours? You are insane for not passing them. Just find the next open hole and enjoy yourself.

Constantine

I wish you luck but don't see anything in your article that hasn't been discussed already.  Most of the slowest players I know have been playing a long time.  They know to put their glove on before it's their turn and how to play ready golf, they choose not to for whatever reason.  I've played at courses with GPS built into the carts that notify you of slow play, they simply ignore them.

When people pay their green fees they feel entitled to play at THEIR pace, and until courses kick these guys off the course (without refund) for slow play I doubt any program is going to change their bad habits and attitudes.

Originally Posted by lville lefty

Iacas, thanks for asking.  Believe me, I fully understand the challenge.  Telling a golfer they are slow has little or no effect on their pace-pf-play.  240 GOLF is a comprehensive plan to address slow play and the first to organize golfers and golf courses.  Unlike other efforts which have been top-down, this program gives golfers an effective way to communicate good pace-of-play etiquette with other golfers.

Once the website is live I will be posting more information about the program.  We will be attending the PGA Show next month to introduce 240 GOLF and start the process of enlisting golf course participation.  In the meantime here is a short article that addresses your comment about how golfers rate their pace of play.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!