IGNORED

How bad is a $25 driver really? Help a broke college kid.

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last semester in college, I got all golf clubs stolen. They weren't great clubs, but they were a decent complete set ( Link to old clubs) So instead of going the complete set route again, I decided to build up my set by buying everything individually. For Chirstmas, my parents got me a set of used taylormade rac cgb ( Link to irons ) from a pro shop for $200 dollars, and I found a great deal for a new Odyssey white putter for $60 dollars ( Putter Link ). So now I still need a driver, some fairway woods, and a sand wedge. The problem is, I only have around $100 dollars to get the rest of these clubs. I went on amazon and was able to find all of these clubs for under a $100 total, and they all got pretty good reviews. I'm really an awful golfer and have trouble even getting off the tee box on most holes, and have to end up hitting irons most of the time. I broke the last driver I had, because I constantly hit the ground with it while I was at the driving range. I shoot around 115, so you can picture the type of golfer that I am. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on a driver especially because I'm afraid I'll break it again. The following are the clubs that I am looking at getting to complete my set:

Driver

3 Wood

sand wedge

chipper (I'm especially awful right around the green and a friend of mine had one of these and it really helped me so I'm wanting to get one)

What are you guys thoughts on the clubs that I have listed? Will I just be throwing away a $100 by getting these? I'm a super casual player, but I will be taking a golf class next semester in college where we play once a week since I've been able to finish up all my other electives. The reviews from amazon are legit for these clubs, as I've looked at the history of the reviewers and they're not just getting paid by the companies to positively endorse their products. So what do you guys think? For an awful golfer like myself, will these clubs be alright?

If OP is legit and not link spamming, I'd say there's no reason to buy new "meh" clubs when you can get good used clubs from places like 3Balls or Rock Bottom Golf.

My current driver is a Cobra that I bought directly from 3Balls (not via eBay) for $20. It was used, and discounted heavily because of a ding in the sole of the club. It came in, and I swear it took me a good 15 minutes before I found it. It's a HUGE upgrade from the driver that came with my Walter Hagen set via Dicks.

Shopping through eBay can be risky if you're not buying from a legit etailer, but you can easily go directly to established sites and find used clubs in decent condition to fit your budget.

Russ B.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For $100, I would go a different direction personally.  This is what I could find on Global Golf for $100 or under:

Callaway FT-9 for $40, which is a pretty damn good driver.

Adams Speedline Fast 10 fairway for $30.

Taylormade RAC wedges for $20

I would go go a few golf big-box stores (Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, etc.) and check out the used bin. You're much more likely to find a great used driver there for $25 than buying a cheapo one off Amazon. I'd rather have, say, an old TaylorMade r7 460 than that one you linked to.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'm not spamming. I don't have any big-box golf stores near me, as I just have a bunch of pro shops around where I live. Bullitt5399, I will look into those clubs and see if I can find them for those prices. Are there any other clubs that people can suggest that are extremely forgiving and easy to hit for a beginner? And what all websites would you guys recommend? I've never bought clubs online before, but it looks like I'm going to have to do that. Thanks again.

edit: I'm looking at some of the drivers from Global Golf, and what loft and flex should I get? Like I said, I'm pretty bad and have trouble getting the ball in the air off the tee, but I'm pretty strong.

Try the Callaway  Pre-owned site. You can get a decent driver refurbed by them for 50 bucks. Good place to find a wedge also. Other places are Dallas Golf, GlobalGolf, and golfetail. I have purchased used eq from them and been pleased.  I bought a Big Bertha Titanium 456 driver from Golf Galaxy used for 25 bucks including a headcover. The driver looked new. So there are deals out there to be had from trustworthy places.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

personally I would skip the driver all together. as a beginner I bet you have trouble hitting it anyways. Get yourself a solid 3 wood and use that for driving also. Now you can get a more expensive wedge and one 3 wood.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Driver-----I would recommend a 10.5 to 12 degree driver with a square head shape. Most forgiving out there. The Nike Sumo or Sumo2 can now be had for $25 to $40 and are still VERY GOOD. If you don't like square, Ping made a G2 offset driver which can be had for a song and dance. Again very good. As long as you are getting a driver in the 450 to 460 cc range and equal or more than 10 degrees loft and regular to stiff shaft your chances of getting a good driver is very good. You can increase your odds by staying with the following makes. Taylormade (the made their name on drivers), Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Adams, Ping (the G2). Once the industry went to 460 cc the major brands made some very forgiving drivers. In the last 10 years the apparent differences between a 6 year old driver and a current driver are minimal. That's why they had to go to the head color of white. Distance and forgiveness are not the justified in having this year's model versus keeping a 3 year old model. Marketing..Marketing...Marketing.

Three wood same brands and stay with 15 degrees. Whatever fits your eye. Again cost of under $30 will give you quality.

The wedge chipper is your personal choice I would spend more money here if you see something which fits your eye. That club will save you more strokes and the other three. That short game is the easiest to get under control for the beginning golfer.

Your other expense is golf balls. Try Lostgolfballs.com. Buy some balls which fit your eye. The AA to AAA quality balls are of great quality. Basically only blemished by magic markers etc. Very playable.

• Upvote 1

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

I just bought a nike sq machspeed driver (square) for $50 shipped from global golf. It was brand new but considered "open box". You should look for those kinds of deals before you buy a cheap driver, which I have also done.

I just bought a nike sq machspeed driver (square) for $50 shipped from global golf. It was brand new but considered "open box". You should look for those kinds of deals before you buy a cheap driver, which I have also done.

I saw that same deal but the loft on it was 10.5. They offer that club in lofts of 10.5 11.5 and 13? Would I benifit a whole lot more from a loft of 11.5 or 13 as opposed to a 10.5 if I'm having trouble even getting the ball off the tee? And I'm looking at the same type of club for my fairway wood and it has a loft of 15. Would that be a good forgiving fairway wood?

10.5 is good enough. Pair that with the 15 degree three wood and you are in good shape. Global golf is a great place to get equipment. Bought a driver from them about a month ago (Taylor Made burner) for 95.00 that is brand new.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Thanks for the help everybody. Here is what I'm now looking at getting now. It's a little over what I was wanting to spend but it's not too much.

Driver

Fairway Wood with a loft of 11.5

Wedge

They also have a used driver of the same type that's about 15 dollars cheaper but the loft is 10.5. Would I benefit from the loft being 11.5 vs 10.5? And I could also get a driver with a loft of 13. Would that be too high? Like I said, I'm pretty strong but having trouble even getting the ball of the tee and am not really worried about an extra ten or fifteen yards, I'm just trying to get it 200 plus and into play. What do you guys think? And should I be worried that the fairway wood is only in "good" condition?

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!