IGNORED

Can I walk onto a college golf team?

Gabriel5404
Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, this is my first post so I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot, and I apologize for the length. I am relatively new to the game (I am 19 yr old) but completely in love with it. I started playing at 15 and my first real round was team tryouts my sophomore year. I failed to make the team as I shot a 69 on a par 36, nine, from the whites. I also remember shaving strokes out of embarrassment and no respect for the game so I pry shot somewhere between 72-75ish (ah to be young lol). I didn't play much until about 17 when I got pretty into golf, I bought clubs that fit me better and hit the range a couple more times. I decided to try out again my senior year and made the team even played in a few big tournaments, so I know about the different rules and etiquette of golf if that helps any. in the last two years I have played pry 70-100 rounds and hit the range around 20 times. I have not taken any lessons or what not but I now shoot in the 43-48 range on the same nine as the first round I played but from the blues. and I play to a 15.7 hdc. I am currently at a CC that has an extremely strong golf program and will transfer 2014 or 2015 to most likely a NCAA div. 2 college.

My question is what are the chances that if I put in enough time that I can drop below a 10 hdc and possibly walk on to a college team. I know this is pry just another pipe dream to some but I am dead set on it. Any advice, tips, ect. is greatly appreciated.

Also the main reason that I am doing this is because I want to be a teaching pro/golf club pro by the age of 30. I was told that all you need to do for this is pass a playing test by shooting no more than +3 in two consecutive rounds. not sure if that's true or not? But I feel like I can get there eventually, and I figured that if I played college golf it would get me closer to that and would look good on resume, plus would be fun. Thanks for all replies!

I would say to walk on to a D2 school you have to be consistently shooting in the mid 70's.  Best way to find out would be to get in contact with the coach or find out what D2 teams are shooting in tournaments.  Just doing a quick search at Chico State golf, I think they're D2, http://www.chicowildcats.com/news/2012/10/23/MGOLF_1023124543.aspx?path=mgolf

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

I would say to walk on to a D2 school you have to be at least be consistently shooting in the mid 70's.  Best way to find out would be to get in contact with the coach or find out what D2 teams are shooting in tournaments.  Just doing a quick search at Chico State golf, I think they're D2, http://www.chicowildcats.com/news/2012/10/23/MGOLF_1023124543.aspx?path=mgolf

And these players are likely playing from the back tees at Bayonet which is 7100 yards ans shooting in the mid-70's.

Originally Posted by MSchott

And these players are likely playing from the back tees at Bayonet which is 7100 yards ans shooting in the mid-70's.

Yeah I don't think there is any type of Men's college golf you don't play from the back tees.  Here are the results for the entire tournament

http://www.chicowildcats.com/documents/2012/10/23/2012_Otter_Invitiational_Final_Combo.pdf?id=1592

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would just ask around

honestly i hate the requirements to be PGA certified instructor, its absurd. I understand some people think that having the ability to play golf means you should be able to teach it. There are plenty of coaches in other sports who never played that sport at a high level and can still coach.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Don't hate me, but no, you can't.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

A good friend of mine played D3 on scholarship and he had an index of 2.0. All of the guys on his team were good and the one in particular I remember had bad days and would shoot 79 or 80 sometimes but he also shot 64 in an event which is why he was on the team. They always played from the back tees and the courses were difficult.

As for the PGA, you are still young and have a lot of time to work on your game. I see commercials about golf schools on the Golf Channel all the time. I have no experience and I do not know anybody who does with these programs but it may be worth checking out if you want to teach.

• Upvote 1

Two guys on my high school team played college golf at small D1 schools, nothing crazy. They were not the best players on their teams and were both +1 to +1.5 players then. I don't know about D2 schools but I would think a 3 hcp index would be close to what one would need.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Don't hate me, but no, you can't.

[quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/63968/can-i-walk-onto-a-college-golf-team/0_30#post_795784"]Not with a 15.7 hc index. Not even with a 5.7. [/quote] These.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

depends on the school, but most likely - no.  i have a friend that walked on to a very small Div III school and hes terrible, but like i said, its DIII

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Gabriel5404

... I have not taken any lessons or what not but I now shoot in the 43-48 range on the same nine as the first round I played but from the blues. and I play to a 15.7 hdc. I am currently at a CC that has an extremely strong golf program and will transfer 2014 or 2015 to most likely a NCAA div. 2 college.

My question is what are the chances that if I put in enough time that I can drop below a 10 hdc and possibly walk on to a college team. ...

You're a self-taught golfer who, after about three years, can apparently break 90 on a regular basis. This shows promise.

I know a self-taught golfer that picked up the game his junior year of high school, and later was on the Second Team at a Div. III school I teach at - he had an 8 HDCP, but had hit a plateau.

Anyway, despite your promise you have likely hit a plateau, and would benefit from working with a golf pro and coach. You need someone who can help you develop and strengthen your overall game. Such a person can help you:

• Get the right clubs for your swing
  • Overcome any persistent flaws which are holding you back
  • Capitalize on the strong parts of your game

This likely will cost you some money, and you have to be lucky and find someone who knows how to teach, and who meshes with you personally. Any chance you could work at a country club and get lessons on the side?

Please clarify: Is your community college becoming a 4-year school with NCAA Div. II sports? Or, does your community college plan on transferring you to a 4-year school?

Also, how are your grades? Being a college golfer requires good academic skills because you miss classes often during season, and superb time management.

Div. III schools don't offer athletic scholarships for any sport. So, their golf teams sometimes attract walk-ons. But, Div. III schools are often private, and tuition is high.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I tried to walk on to Kent State's golf team back in 1977...35 years ago -

I shot 73 the first day. Coach said come back tomorrow.

I shot 78 the next day. Coach said come back tomorrow.

I shot 79 the next day. Coach said go home.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Get a college education. You're not going to be on the golf team.

To the OP... this may seem harsh but I believe it to be true and well-intended.

I guess I'll tell my story, because I'm not that much older than you and also loved golf at 19.

My father-in-law always said, "work hard now, so that some day you don't have to."

I played to an 8 index in high school and played all four years on our golf team, never really playing well until my senior year.  When I graduated high school I went to a D3 private school in the Northwest for undergraduate and had the opportunity to play golf for our team.  My dad had a pipe dream of me playing professionally or being a teaching pro.  At that time, I couldn't consistently break 80 and knew that while I enjoyed golf, I wanted a solid future with plenty of career opportunity... and a good GPA.

I ended up with a business degree with a focus on marketing and a minor in math.  I also didn't play more than a handful of rounds during undergrad.  I decided to go back to school and earned my MS in Industrial Engineering.  Doing well as an undergrad paved the way for graduate assistantships (free grad school).  Having business and engineering degrees opens plenty of doors for really neat jobs, too.

I'm now 28 and back to playing lots of golf.  While I'm not on tour or teaching golf, I wouldn't have done things any differently. Careers in product management, product development, R&D;, or supply chain for a golf equipment manufacturer are well within reach.  Perhaps I could even get a PGA teaching certification or make a run for the mini tours... However, the life of most teaching pros isn't necessarily glamorous or lucrative.

The good news is, with a good education you have options and the resources to pursue your dreams.  Once you've got your degree, nobody can take that away from you.  Good luck!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

My parallel at your age:  My step brother has won the "Super Bowl" of rodeo.  I know what it takes to get there.  I chose between a full-ride rodeo scholarship and an academic scholarship.  My guardian angel helped me choose school over rodeo.  I still was on the college team, but at a less competitive school and ended up with a superb education from a D1 school that is recognized in many circles.  Luckiest break ever for me.  I still compete and have won several titles, but as I've aged have realized my life isn't defined by rodeo.

Get a good education.  Keep golfing and learning.  You'll have time and experience in the game when you finish school.  It you still want a career in golf there are many avenues available to you.  But get the education so you have alternatives in case you change your mind five years from now.  Golf will never go away.  The game can always be part of your life.

This is advice I give my own kids, who, BTW, wouldn't exist if I'd gone to another college...

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

Originally Posted by zipazoid

There's such a thing as rodeo scholarships?

Absolutely!  West of the Mississippi many colleges have rodeo teams.

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!