IGNORED

Can i play a ball marked 'practice'?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Found a sweet Titleist ProV1x in the bushes near the chipping green. Opposite side was factory marked 'practice'. What a bummer.  But can i use that ball in a tourney?  I know the rules makers dictate only certain balls acceptable but except for 8 small letters, this Titleist is fine.

RULES FAQ Rule 5-1 Status of "X-Out" and "Practice" Balls Q. May I use an "x-out" ball or a ball stamped with "Practice" to play a round of golf? A. Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with “PRACTICE” or a circled “P”, are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, but only if you are wearing cargo pants.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Yes, but only if you are wearing cargo pants.

Hilarious!

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Found a sweet Titleist ProV1x in the bushes near the chipping green. Opposite side was factory marked 'practice'....

If most of the rest of the range balls at your course are similarly marked, even the cargo shorts may not keep your friends from thinking playing with that one is pretty tacky. Just saying... ;-)

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

There's more involved here than a tournament's Conditions of Competition. What about the rules at the local course? Some golf clubs I have played at will throw you off the course if they find you playing their range balls during a round.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

There's more involved here than a tournament's Conditions of Competition. What about the rules at the local course? Some golf clubs I have played at will throw you off the course if they find you playing their range balls during a round.

well that concerns stelling private property and not conforming to the clubs practice range rules to leave the balls there.

now range balls are not all on the conforming balls list.

proviwanex balls are, and probably dont come from a clubs range, but a pros stock of personnal practice balls.

There are courses that inspect the ball you are playing?  I know rangers can be a pain in the ass, but I have never seen one drive up and look at the balls in play.

Besides, the Titleist Practice balls in question are not range balls, but just blemished regular balls. I doubt any course would purchase the Titleist Practice balls for their driving range. Too expensive.

why would they be blemished?  i play Penta TP5 balls that are marked PRACTICE - btw $19.99 at Golf Galaxy - and i have never noticed anything amiss cosmetically with these balls.

Colin P.

I took it from the Titleist website:

"Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies."

I didn't check any other ball manufacturers.

Why not go buy a sleeve of good, fresh Titleist balls for a tournament? You found a practice ball and you're going to use it for a tourney? Have fun shooting 93.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

Originally Posted by Bastid

Why not go buy a sleeve of good, fresh Titleist balls for a tournament? You found a practice ball and you're going to use it for a tourney? Have fun shooting 93.

His index is 19, so he probably will have fun shooting a 93.  I'm currently an 18.8 and considering that a tournament will probably be on a course with a slope in at least the 120's, which puts the course handicap at 20 or above, I'd probably enjoy shooting a 93.

BTW, nice job of self-awareness.

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:

There are courses that inspect the ball you are playing?  I know rangers can be a pain in the ass, but I have never seen one drive up and look at the balls in play.

Besides, the Titleist Practice balls in question are not range balls, but just blemished regular balls. I doubt any course would purchase the Titleist Practice balls for their driving range. Too expensive.

Not necessarily.  I've played at an upscale resort type course which used Pro V1 practice balls on their range.  I had a good friend who worked at Castle Pines when he was just out of high school, and for the International, they supplied regular Titleist Tour balls for the pros to use on the range.  They didn't even collect them to restock the range - every ball the pros hit in practice was brand new.  He and the other guys who worked there used stock up for years worth of play just by picking up the once hit balls from the range.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not necessarily.  I've played at an upscale resort type course which used Pro V1 practice balls on their range.  I had a good friend who worked at Castle Pines when he was just out of high school, and for the International, they supplied regular Titleist Tour balls for the pros to use on the range.  They didn't even collect them to restock the range - every ball the pros hit in practice was brand new.  He and the other guys who worked there used stock up for years worth of play just by picking up the once hit balls from the range.

For the PGA tour events, there will be a number of different branded balls available at the range. After all, we couldn't have Tiger hitting a Titleist or Callaway ball now, could we. But that is hardly the norm for the real world.

Originally Posted by Bastid

it seems like you dont realize that a ball marked PRACTICE usually is the same inside as a regular ball.  thats the case with a Titleist ProV or a TM Penta.

Colin P.

Pro Vs marked PRACTICE are sold at some golf shops. They are not necessarily range balls. My experience with Pro v's is that they are possibly a good ball for really good players or poor players. If you fall in between skill levels and are capable of swing speeds in excess of 90 mph then you will have occasional issues with controlling the spin and find your ball whipping from the center of the green back off the front.

Note: This thread is 4095 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!