IGNORED

2013 - NFL Playoffs

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

You can't blame RG3 for the decision to keep him in the game longer than he should have.  The head coach should have pulled him once it was obvious (which it was) that his knee was re-injured.

I never said that. I was talking about the fact that running QBs get injured a lot more frequently. He's 0 for 1 on even escaping the first quarter of a playoff game uninjured.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I never said that. I was talking about the fact that running QBs get injured a lot more frequently. He's 0 for 1 on even escaping the first quarter of a playoff game uninjured.

Yeah, especially ones who haven't yet learned when to slide.  It seems like he just has more of a mentality of a RB wanting that extra yard.  If he learns prudence (and has a bit of luck), then I would agree with newtogolf that he has the potential to be really really good.

Just a thought ... after hearing them explain on the radio this morning how different the rest of the personnel on an offense is for a spread type QB like Griffin than for a typical drop-back guy, and how that makes the transition very difficult if and when guy #1 gets hurt, it makes sense to me that Washington is the type of team that could use Tim Tebow as a backup.  I realize he brings drama and doesn't think himself a backup, but somebody like him could fit into the first string RGIII led offense better than somebody like Cousins.

Like I said ... just a thought. ;)

If they had brought Cousins in when it was apparent that RGIII was hurt, they would have done better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

If they had brought Cousins in when it was apparent that RGIII was hurt, they would have done better.

Putting in Cousins at halftime -- and prepping Cousins throughout the week with split first-team reps just in case RG3s health deteriorated over the course of the game -- was the genius coaching move. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think there were a handful of indicators that made this move possible for Skins staff to make. Now, granted the Seattle defense is elite and who's to say Cousins would have played well, so perhaps my point here is moot in the end.

Since Cousins only went 3/10 for like 31 yards, I think his stock is low enough that the Jets could get him for a 2nd round pick. I would do that in a heart beat. I think that would be a good gamble.  His contract is cheap and the incoming rookie class stinks in general.

Constantine

I'd like to see Cousins come to the Jets, would give them Tebow, Sanchez, plus $6M to cover 3/4 his salary and free tat for all the coaches.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Since Cousins only went 3/10 for like 31 yards, I think his stock is low enough that the Jets could get him for a 2nd round pick. I would do that in a heart beat. I think that would be a good gamble.  His contract is cheap and the incoming rookie class stinks in general.

Joe Paradiso

I'd like to see Cousins come to the Jets, would give them Tebow, Sanchez, plus $6M to cover 3/4 his salary and free tat for all the coaches.

They cant trade cousins, he will be the starter in 2 years when RG bad knee is out of the league - if he is falling apart at this age, how much longer will he really last with his style of play?

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

They cant trade cousins, he will be the starter in 2 years when RG bad knee is out of the league - if he is falling apart at this age, how much longer will he really last with his style of play?

Yea, I'm hoping they don't realize that yet ... No, I like RG3 and hope he figures out how to not get killed because he is entertaining and good for the game, but yea, Cousins is a nice backup for them. He impressed me in his limited regular season action. I'm not saying the guy is a potential star -- who really knows -- but I like him under center for the Jets in week one above anyone else on their roster currently

PS- This is the latest info on Cousins by the way:

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests the Redskins wouldn't trade backup QB Kirk Cousins "for anything less than an attractive high draft pick or picks."
Cousins' stock is on the rise after going 26-of-39 for 329 yards with two touchdowns and one pick in a Week 15 spot-start win at Cleveland. But the Redskins understand the value of a quality backup when their starter is in harm's way as much as Robert Griffin III is. Cousins, a fourth-round pick in 2012, will almost certainly be back in D.C. next season. He'll cost the 'Skins just $480,000 in base salary. Thu, Dec 27, 2012 09:36:00 AM

Constantine

Pretty sure I recall hearing over the last few seasons that wild card round and championship round were unpredictable, but that the divisional round was historically lopsided in favor of the home teams (you know, the good ones that earned byes).  I think this year will follow that trend as well, for the most part  ...

Here are my guesses:

Green Bay 17 San Francisco 24

Seattle 31 Atlanta 20

Baltimore 13 Denver 31

Houston 9 New England 28

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Pretty sure I recall hearing over the last few seasons that wild card round and championship round were unpredictable, but that the divisional round was historically lopsided in favor of the home teams (you know, the good ones that earned byes).  I think this year will follow that trend as well, for the most part  ...

Here are my guesses:

Green Bay 17  San Francisco 24

Seattle 31  Atlanta 20

Baltimore 13   Denver 31

Houston 9   New England 28

The world has picked a Denver/Belicheat AFC championship and Seattle is the popular underdog this week - so in theory, one of those should be wrong - but its hard to pick against it.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by meenman

The world has picked a Denver/Belicheat AFC championship and Seattle is the popular underdog this week - so in theory, one of those should be wrong - but its hard to pick against it.

Yeah ... I'm definitely not going out on any limbs with these picks. :)  And with my "expertise," in these sort of things, you should probably bet on a GB/ATL and Houston/Baltimore title games. :)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Here are my guesses:

Green Bay 17  San Francisco 24

Seattle 31  Atlanta 20

Baltimore 13   Denver 31

Houston 9   New England 28

The only thing I'd switch out is I think GB is going to win. Justin Smith is going to try to play with that torn triceps. I'm not sure he pulls it off. I expect the Packers to go right at him early in the game to see where he's at.

Constantine

Network really wants Denver and New England.  Ratings could be higher than the Superbowl.  Two of the best QBs this last decade.  Rivals, friends, great story line.

I think this round of the playoffs gives better games though.  Denver is going to be cold, low 20s at most.  Too bad there won't be a snow game.  Those are fun to watch.  It will be in the 40s in New England and 50s in San Fran with sun, so no weather issues.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ill take San Fran, Atlanta, Denver and New England.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Green Bay, Atlanta, Denver, NE

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Here are my picks for this weekends Playoffs....

Ravens @ Broncos (-10, 46).................. Manning ends Ray Ray's run.... Broncos 34 to Ravens 24

Packers @ 49ers (-3, 44.5)................... Discount Double Check finds a way with a beat up Justin Smith.... Packers 28 to 49ers 24

Seahawks @ Falcons (-3, 46)............... Battle of the birds... Chickenhawks out pluck the Dirty Birds.... Seahawk 31 to Falcons 28

Texans @ Patriots (-10, 47.5)............... BB and Brady does it again - Patriots 35 to Texans 13

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Here are my picks for this weekends Playoffs....

Ravens @ Broncos (-10, 46).................. Manning ends Ray Ray's run.... Broncos 34 to Ravens 24

Packers @ 49ers (-3, 44.5)................... Discount Double Check finds a way with a beat up Justin Smith.... Packers 28 to 49ers 24

Seahawks @ Falcons (-3, 46)............... Battle of the birds... Chickenhawks out pluck the Dirty Birds.... Seahawk 31 to Falcons 28

Texans @ Patriots (-10, 47.5)............... BB and Brady does it again - Patriots 35 to Texans 13

So what you're saying is bet all the overs

I'll take Denver, San Fran, Seattle, and New England

Tyler Martin

looks like early money went to DEN and NE, moving the lines to -10 (from -8.5 and -9 respectively). SF has been a three point favorite since the open, and ATL has gone from -2 to -3.

hard to go against DEN at home, coming off a bye. even with Lewis' return, i'm not sure BAL can sustain that level of emotion on the road, and Flacco has been just .500 on the road this year. that said, the Bronco's last 8 wins came at the hands of KC(2x), BAL, CAR, TBB, OAK, and CLE....they definitely played a tougher schedule in the 1st half. prediction: DEN 28, BAL 17 .

like DEN, NE at home is a hard play to get away from. Brady & Co. are poised for another SB run, and the Texans have been floundering (to put it nicely) for the last month. since the beginning of December, HOU has averaged a paltry 18 points per game. conversely, the Pats are cruising along at over 30 a game since Thanksgiving. of all the games this weekend, this one is my lock. prediction: NE 33, HOU 20.

Atlanta is a bit of a mystery: they have arguably the best WR corps in the post-season. the also have arguably the worst running game of any remaining playoff team. combine that with a bend-but-don't-break defense, and the match up against Seattle is a difficult one at best. the 'Hawks are on the road for the 2nd straight week, and as i understand it they returned to the West Coast after the WAS game. even though they are one of the youngest teams in the league, all that travel will take some toll. though SEA has the #1 ranked defense, they haven't played against a top-tier QB since mid-October when they beat Brady in Seattle. also, Houshka is on IR, so Longwell will have to step in and make some pressure kicks. Ryan has a monkey on his back and is looking to break through in the post-season and reach that "elite QB" status. i think this one will be close, with the Falcons prevailing. prediction: ATL 27, SEA 24.

as a 49er homer, i'm trying to be objective in this assessment. the Niner team who beat GB in Week 1 is a different animal at this point: they're (essentially) starting a rookie QB in Kaepernick, missing a top pass rusher in Justin Smith, lost Kendall Hunter and Manningham to season-ending injures, and brought in another kicker to challenge a struggling Akers. the result is running game which must rely on Gore (who dropped from 5.9 ypc over the first seven weeks, to 3.6 currently) and rookie LaMichael James to shoulder the load, and a passing game where another rookie who hasn't caught a ball this season, AJ Jenkins, to step in as a WR2/3 and give Kaepernick some options. further, the SF defense is going up against maybe the best QB in the post-season, who finally has his stable of weapons - Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley - healthy for the first time this year. the downside for the Packers is three fold: 1) they have little to no running game, which will add more pressure to Rodgers; 2) GB can be hurt by the run; 3) they are playing on the road where they are only .500 for the season. they say it's hard to beat the same team twice in one season, and as much as i want the Niners to win this one, i think the Packers are peaking at the right time. prediction: GB 24, SF 20

for gambling purposes, i'm leaning towards:

DEN -10 with NE -10 (parlay)

NE -4 with U54 (teaser)

GB +3

GB/SF U45

• Upvote 1

Looks like Bob Griffin is exactly what a few of us said he was:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nflblitz/recovery_for_redskins_griffin_could_yu1J7qgNKdN9Cd6AXB6CBN#axzz2HQXdxaxq

Follow me on twitter

Note: This thread is 4082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!