IGNORED

Name on the bag?

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. If you have the option, would you have your name put on your golf bag?

• Yes, I like having my name on my bag.
    • No, unless you're a pro, it's just silly
    • I don't care

I have a question. I'm about to buy a new set of irons and with them, a new bag. I'm curious what the protocol is for having your name embroidered on the bag? I'm about a 25 handicap, and the only players I've seen with their names on their bags are pros and low handicappers. I've got a close friend who's about a 3 handicap who has his name on his bag, but he's the only guy I know. Am I setting myself up to be mocked or does it really matter?

Honestly, nobody is going to care with what you put on your bag.

You may pop up in the *annoying guy on the range* thread if someone on here sees you duff a ball with that bag in your possession.......

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My Vote: No, Unless you pro, its silly

I very highly debated topic in my circle. Unless you have game, so one needs to know your name.

I play with + cap's that played D1 on scholarships, and they were given bags with their name on it, so at tourney's people knew who they are. Also, Do you really want the extra attention on the first tee, i doubt it. When they walk on the tee box people stop and notice, but they bomb their drives 300+ down the fairway. If you have a your name on your bag, you better be able to shoot par 9/10 times!

Pardon my vent.

I also vote No. The guys we respect are the ones who play well and shoot low scores but play with beatup clubs and a worn out, dirty old bag. Their equipment all looks "used" because it is.

By starting this thread you obviously feel that putting your name on your bag WILL set you up for mocking, and it probably will. I know if I did (put my name on my bag) the guys I play will would verbably beat the crap out of me.

I just purchased a new bag, the old one was all ripped up with a broken zipper, but I know I'll hear it when I take it to the course for the first time.

Originally Posted by cooke119

I also vote No. The guys we respect are the ones who play well and shoot low scores but play with beat up clubs and a worn out, dirty old bag. Their equipment all looks "used" because it is.

By starting this thread you obviously feel that putting your name on your bag WILL set you up for mocking, and it probably will. I know if I did (put my name on my bag) the guys I play will would verbably beat the crap out of me.

I just purchased a new bag, the old one was all ripped up with a broken zipper, but I know I'll hear it when I take it to the course for the first time.

+1 Well said.

I work at a course and see this all the time (drives me crazy). I would rather show up on the tee box with some old rusty blades, a no name driver with a decrepit bag, and shoot 2 under. Unfortunately, most people i see show up with the hottest- fill in the blank- clubs and shoot 95 with mulligans, and just embarrass themselves on the first tee box when they put a dummy mark on their brand new 910F driver....

I vote go for it. It's your bag, do what you like. The dilemma is, essentially, whether or not putting your name on your bag makes people think you're a dick, or a showoff. Don't give them any other reason to think you're a jerk and they won't, and if someone mocks you for wanting your name on your bag they're a moron. [quote name="shooter" url="/t/63980/name-on-the-bag/0_30#post_795856"]+1 Well said. I work at a course and see this all the time (drives me crazy). I would rather show up on the tee box with some old rusty blades, a no name driver with a decrepit bag, and shoot 2 under. Unfortunately, most people i see show up with the hottest- fill in the blank- clubs and shoot 95 with mulligans, and just embarrass themselves on the first tee box when they put a dummy mark on their brand new 910F driver....:doh: [/quote] But that's not this guy's situation. We would all rather be a better player with crappy clubs than a bad player with nice clubs, but that's not the trade-off here. It's whether or not the OP wants to be a 25 index with a crappy looking bag, or a 25 index with a sort-of-nice looking bag.
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Don't do it. As a general rule, only Pros and wannabe Pros put there name on their bags. You don't sound like either.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

that's what I thought but remembered his name is Erick

oh that's right. [quote name="jamo" url="/t/63980/name-on-the-bag#post_795860"]I vote go for it. It's your bag, do what you like. The dilemma is, essentially, whether or not putting your name on your bag makes people think you're a dick, or a showoff. Don't give them any other reason to think you're a jerk and they won't, and if someone mocks you for wanting your name on your bag they're a moron.[/quote]very well said sir. If you're a good guy then the only people who are gonna think you're a jerk are judgmental a-holes who haven't met you. You know, the same guys who will thing you're a tool if you wear a white belt, or have an entire bag of one brand of clubs, or dress nice at the practice range ... And who has time for those people anyway?

Originally Posted by jamo

I vote go for it. It's your bag, do what you like.

The dilemma is, essentially, whether or not putting your name on your bag makes people think you're a dick, or a showoff. Don't give them any other reason to think you're a jerk and they won't, and if someone mocks you for wanting your name on your bag they're a moron.

But that's not this guy's situation. We would all rather be a better player with crappy clubs than a bad player with nice clubs, but that's not the trade-off here. It's whether or not the OP wants to be a 25 index with a crappy looking bag, or a 25 index with a sort-of-nice looking bag

I nice bag is a nice bag, and there's nothing wrong with looking good. It might even help, some say when you look good you feel good,but the name thing is too much.

Originally Posted by shooter

My Vote: No, Unless you pro, its silly

I very highly debated topic in my circle. Unless you have game, so one needs to know your name.

I play with + cap's that played D1 on scholarships, and they were given bags with their name on it, so at tourney's people knew who they are. Also, Do you really want the extra attention on the first tee, i doubt it. When they walk on the tee box people stop and notice, but they bomb their drives 300+ down the fairway. If you have a your name on your bag, you better be able to shoot par 9/10 times!

Pardon my vent.

I always thought that if you had serious game you would not need your name on your bag because at tournaments everyone knows who you are.

I also vote no and while tour pros have their name on the staff bag they use on TV, I doubt they have their name on their carry bags they use at their home course. The name is on the bag so Taylormade, Callaway etc. can be associated with (tour pro name here) because they are shelling out a ton of money and clubs so that it may help them sell clubs to us.

If someone did have their name on their bag and I noticed I would not really care either way, even in competition. When I was a junior, I learned that you need not worry about the players with fancy equipment who could drive it a mile, it was the quiet ones with old blade irons who made me nervous.

It's your bag.

Do what you like and forget judgmental individuals.

I wouldn't do it on a staff bag. To me, that's pretentious. I don't carry a staff bag for the same reason. Someone gave me one and it stays in the bedroom, holding clubs. That's just me. If someone wants to bring one out to play, and I see them, it's fine. I don't look at other players on the range. On a carry bag, I put my name on it to prevent stealing. I also use a non-OEM bag. It's a factor - an anonymous, OEM branded bag is more likely to be stolen. It screams, "look at me! or "steal me."

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

if you are worried what people might think and you want your name on there to say "thats my bag" maybe a high quality bag tag?

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Depends, is your last name Wilson? Could be a simple solution out there for ya.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by shooter

and just embarrass themselves on the first tee box when they put a dummy mark on their brand new 910F driver....

not to embarrass you, but the 910F isnt a driver...

Colin P.

First of all, why are you worried about what others think?

As long as you are not being a jerk, I don't think anyone would care whether you have your name on your bag or not.

And if someone makes fun of you for having your name on your bag, they are just being a douche-bag.

People who make fun of others for individuality are closed minded bigots.  Ignore them.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!