IGNORED

Greetings from Eastern NC

ecureed
Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone from Winterville NC! Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself as I've been lurking here for a while soaking up all the golf info I could get.  This site has been awesome for a newb like me to learn from. I am definitely a newb, I'm 33 and never swung a stick until I was 18 or 19 in college. Over those 15 years I never played more than a round a year and some years none at all. For some reason though I managed to get absolutely hooked about six months ago and I've been playing much more.

At this point my goal is to break 100 in the next couple of full rounds I play.  Yesterday I could only get in 9 at Farmville Golf Club in neighboring Farmville NC and I shot a 48!  If only I'd had the time, yesterday may have been the day!

Anyways I'm having fun and am excited about getting my 5 and 3 year old sons into the game.  My oldest will be getting his first set of clubs on his 6th birthday in March and I can't wait!

For anyone familiar with Eastern NC and the Greenville area (the home of my beloved ECU Pirates) I'll list the courses I play or have played at here locally (I'm so new to the game that this list will include nearly every course I've ever played, ha!):

Ayden Golf & Country Club- Ayden NC (well maintained country course, laid back and 8 minutes from my house! i walked 9 holes once a week here after work during daylight savings, only $10!)

Bradford Creek- Greenville NC (Local muni that is wide open and well maintained, perfect for a newb like me)

Brook Valley Country Club- Greenville NC (beautiful course and by far the toughest I've ever played)

Greenville Country Club- Greenville NC (nicest in my immediate area and for the most part very playable for high cappers)

Farmville Golf and Country Club- Farmville NC (short and narrow, only played the front 9 so far but will be back. only cost me $15 to ride 9 on a Saturday!)

Hickory Meadows- Whitakers NC (current owners are trying to get this course back on its feet.  not very well maintained at this point but an interesting layout and a bargain at $16 for 18 and a cart.)

Hope Mills Golf Course- Hope Mills NC (lived in Hope Mills in Cumberland County all my life before moving to Pitt County for college and never played this public course. Played it twice the 2 days before Christmas and had a blast because it really has a neat and hilly layout.  Gets a bad rap though because of poor maintenance, maybe the latest ownership can get it right.)

The Valley At Eastport- Little River SC (North Myrtle Beach area, from what I hear its not on the level of other Myrtle Beach courses but in my opinion a real value at $25 for 18 and a cart during the week in the middle of summer, check it out for a "value round" when you're in the area. I included this since its what kind of sparked my new addicton when I played here this summer.)

Bill Fay Course- Kinston NC (had to include this cool little 9-hole par 3 down the road in Kinston.  $2 to play 18 and $4 to play all day!)

Thanks for the great site, I hope I'll be able to contribute in the coming years as my experience grows.  Hit em straight and GO PIRATES!!

Hey there!

I live in Rocky Mount and have played a lot of golf at Ayden, Bradford Creek, Brook Valley, and Greenville Country Club.   We'll have to try and hook up some time.  I belong to Birchwood in Nashville.

Two other courses you should check out in your area are Ironwood and Cutter Creek.

hey gwlee, yes Cutter Creek and Ironwood are at the top of my list to play next.  Also, groupgolfer.com just ran a deal for 18 holes for $18 at Cypress Landing in Chocowinity which is supposed to be another really nice course.  I am hoping to play there next weekend with some buds who took advantage of the offer.  By chance have you ever played Scotch Hall Preserve up in Merry Hill?  Heard really nice things about that place.

Hit me up sometime if you don't mind playing with a hacker like me.  My goal for 2013 is to get to the point where I'm shooting in the mid to low 90's consistently.

Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!